Any one ever have issue getting a .62 through a locking tuner on a EBMM JP7?

• Thread starter lewstherin006
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
So im changing the strings on my EBMM JP7 for the first time, going up to 10s (looks like it came stock with 9s,) and for some reason I can not get the .62 low B through the hole in my locking tuner. I have tried every other string, even the .52 E string and it works fine in that hole. I start to put it through and it just stops, even if i use a little force it stops. Has anyone ever had issues with this? .62 on my SBMM JP70 and it worked fine.:wallbash::wallbash:

EDIT: I fixed it. I order another set of strings. FYI never order a set of strings for a JP7 with a heavier bottom with a .62 7th string, it wont fit through the tuners no matter what you do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shanike

Reaction score
nope. I can't even fit a .60 through, always have to unwind it and fit only the core through the hole.

Reaction score
^ this. Their holes are really small.

Do I even have to point it out? *sigh* I'll do it anyway.

If_you_know_what_I_mean.png

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
You're going to have to unwind the string past the nut, or tap out the hole in the tuner. I would recommend unwinding the string, since it doesn't permanently modify the hardware.

It's pretty easy to do with some needle nose pliers. Use the cutting edge to sort of scrape and separate the winding. Then, grip it with the pliers and unwind as much as you need. The core of the string will still lock into place just fine.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
You're going to have to unwind the string past the nut, or tap out the hole in the tuner. I would recommend unwinding the string, since it doesn't permanently modify the hardware.

It's pretty easy to do with some needle nose pliers. Use the cutting edge to sort of scrape and separate the winding. Then, grip it with the pliers and unwind as much as you need. The core of the string will still lock into place just fine.

we have a winner. thanks bro

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used an old D-string to file up the hole to fit a .66. Not on a JP but unless their hardware is abnormally tough it should be the same.

MBMoreno

Reaction score
The majority of locking tuners of that type (a thumb screw in the back) has small holes. The guitar is "supposed" to have 6 strings and unfortunately that is the standard.

You could unwind the strings or if you know someone "tech savvy" do as I did on my Sperzels - enlarge the hole a bit if it is possible. The Sperzel guys say themselves that the holes can be enlarged, and they do it if you order from them, so I'm sure that if you contact Schaller they will give you a similar answer.

jbguitarking

Reaction score
I also just used a smaller sized string and ran it back and forth in the hole (with the thumb lock all the way open of course) to open it up a bit for a .56 gauge on my schaller lockers (same as the JP). Works just fine and I dont have any string breaks or tuning stability issues.

Light121

Grond121
Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine. Unwinding seems to be the unanimous solution...which is unfortunate because I was about to ask if anyone has had any luck with larger strings than a .62 :ugh:

Reaction score
i like to order a .58 and put it on my B of my JPX7 and i still have to unwind. Doesn't bother me too much since it looks good and doesn't alter my tuning peg.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to have a JP baritone and a .68 would fit through the tuner.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
FYI Guys I unwrapped the string and it went on fine. Its just a pain to have to do that, but it does work great. I was using the Ernie Ball Cobalt Heavy Top normal bottom strings in 10s

vitor gracie

7 String Convert
Reaction score
I just had the store in NYC that I ordered my JPXI-7 from drill the peg to fit a .70 I don't know why guys mess with trying to crimp the string and all that. You could never have a tech (or yourself) change strings quickly for a gig messing around like that. Just drill the peg a little bit. It's not like it's going to "devalue" the instrument. I used to use .68 but switched to a much lighter 7th string for dropped "A" I feel that it has more attach and doesn't get so flubby as a .68 or .65 tuned to A. I think I'm at a .60 I do miss the tension but have adjusted. The rest of the set for the other 6 is a pack of .10s.

Drill the peg ;) you'll be happy you did.

')