Any Opeth Fans?

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Mirror

Reaction score
Opeth? Tell me about it.

7vpf0je.jpg

Irony of it all: I use it to play Gojira.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splenetic

Reaction score
Been a fan of theirs since 99. Met them back in 01 when I was 16. Good guys, especially Peter whom I miss to this day in that band.

Anyway, not as much into the newer stuff. Mike threw away being one of the most unique and not fucking around bands to become just a ....70's prog band more or less. Still good, but nowhere near what they used to be.

Edit: and no....it's not just cause they lost the heavier aspects. I love Damnation even though it's a much softer album than their post Heritage stuff. They just lost that Opeth atmosphere that no other band could properly re-create....and traded it for fucking prog organs.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I’ve been listening to Opeth for over 15 years on and off. My favorites are the early albums, but I also really like some of the more recent ones too, and I really love many of their Albums! I wouldn’t say I dislike any of them really. Some are amazing others are just good imo.

I think what they did with the recent album was really cool, releasing it in Swedish and English versions.

Maybe because I’m older than the average fan, I usually listen to things without any pretense, or try to anyway, only as far as my personal taste will allow (on a good day.)

But Opeth is one of the bands who I will always recommend to people who have no idea what Death Metal is (how is that even possible?) lol i.e. ladies who might like Metallica but don’t know a whole lot of Metal...

And to my ears, nothing wrong with mixing it up! I think they make music as Art, not as a “Death Metal” band, and for that I give them a lot of respect- I mean how many musicians can ever have full creative control for an entire career and still make a go of it?

Also, Micheal Akerfeldt has one hell of a record collection!

This is kind of cool too:

But come on this is fukkin Amazing! Their videos are incredible!

Eternal Rains Will Come! Boot time bitches! Mofos too, don’t wanna leave anyone out.

Pat

Reaction score
I don't understand the comments saying they turned into a 70s prog band - they released two albums which are in that vein (Heritage and Pale Communion), both of which were awesome albums with some of my favourite Opeth tracks on (Haxprocess, Folklore, Moon Above Sun Below and Faith in Others are all fantastic).

I wouldn't class Sorceress as 70s prog - they have songs tuned to A with some heavy riffs on there. Sure there are some organs, but not nearly as much as one the previous two albums.

In Cauda Venenum is one of their best albums imo. It has some of the best solo work Fredrik has done and some really epic moments - the outro to All Things Will Pass is like a modern day Demon of the Fall.

binz

Reaction score
Concerning the last 4 album banter:
I didn't like heritage and pale communion at first, but seeing them played live almost at full changed my mind. Still no go-to albums but definitely not trash! Never heard sorceress live so I still can't do anything with it. Not sure if it's the 'seen live' bias or that sorceress is actually weaker.
In cauda venum however was an instant banger to my ears, really enjoyed that album!

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
One of my all time favorites.

I like their early stuff. Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation, and especially Ghost Reveries are by far my favorites. Everything from Watershed and after does absolutely nothing for me.

Saw them a few years back and they only played like 3 old songs, everything else was new. Very disappointing.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I got into the band in kind of a weird way:

I'm like 13, and somehow I've discovered the band Arcturus despite not knowing very much about underground music, and The Sham Mirrors is my jam. Going to Costco with mom to pick out a stereo to be my Xmas-birthday present. I bring my CD, and I'm blasting some metal in the electronics aisle. The sales attendant comes by and starts talking to me about metal, he says I've got good taste for a 13 year old but I need to listen to real death metal, so he goes to his car and comes back with Blackwater Park. He talks about how he plays guitar and Opeth are challenging but fun songs to play. I immediately buy the album and start learning The Drapery Falls. Been a fan ever since.

Thank you, Costco guy!

Splenetic

Reaction score
Costco guy did good work....but to diminish Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors like that (if you were listening to that album that is) ....is fucking silly lol.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Costco guy did good work....but to diminish Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors like that (if you were listening to that album that is) ....is fucking silly lol.
I know, and he also trashed Nevermore as well. I doubt he really knew what Arcturus is about... Who knows, if I had had Radical Cut on, it might have been sufficiently heavy and he'd have not gone to get Blackwater Park from his car!

The irony is that in the world of "real death metal", Opeth is like one of the least heavy or extreme... I mean, vocals aside, I don't think Blackwater Park is necessarily _heavier_ than some of the tracks on the Sham Mirrors

Sammy J

Reaction score
Loved them up to Watershed. Some of my favourite albums of all time are theirs. The last decade or so has been hard for me to stomach, but it is what it is. I’m not into it at all, will eternally hope they come to their senses and return to their roots - no matter how unlikely that is.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Love everything by them, take each album as it’s own thing and not by some pre-conceived notion you have of what the band should be.

And absolutely one of the best bands to see live. Their bigger shows are good, but if you are lucky enough to see them in a smaller venue it is an absolute pleasure. Mikael is an amazing frontman and will have conversations with people in the back of the crowd. I was lucky enough to see them the week before covid shut everything down, probably the 10th time I’ve seen them.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Opeth was one of my favorite bands for years. I saw them at a fairly small theater in Chico, California when they were touring Watershed and it was probably the most enjoyable concert experience of my life. There was certainly an unusual abundance of attractive women in the crowd as well...

I got my brother into the band as well and he was an even bigger fan, but after Heritage came out we both sort of stopped listening to them. There's some good stuff going on in that album, but it was kind of a shock after Watershed, especially given the drastically different production style. Couldn't get into it at the time, but I should probably give it another chance now that I'm old and appreciate old-sounding stuff more. :D

There was one track that I think was on "Heritage" that had like a pan flute solo against some doomy sounding drums/guitars. That was the coolest thing I remember hearing out of the last three Opeth albums. Reading that statement it just sounds ridiculous lol. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Yeah, Heritage got called a "Jethro Tull Tribute" by some thanks to that...:lol:

binz

Reaction score
I really like they're little home made Studio documentaries (exist for nearly every album AFAIK). In the heritage one Michael spends the first 15 minutes in his basement, talking to the camera apologizing that the sound will Be very different :D

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't care if they growl or not, I'm just over the haunted gypsy camper rock stuff they have been doing.

Bingo for me too. I'd happily take a few more records like Damnation if they want to be mellow slowpeth. The stuff they play now just sounds goofy and dated as hell.

rokket2005

Reaction score
The first half of this new song sounds like The Grand Conjuration Pt 2 but 1/4 as good. The super wide vibrato he has on his clean vocals doesn't work. If he lost that and sang them straighter it would make it an alright song I guess.

Latest posts

')