Any Opeth Fans?

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
They just played at Wacken a Community voted Setlist.
And Mikael said on stage the newest song on it is still 10 years old and it makes him a bit sad. ("He might have done nothing good the past 10 years")

Sounds like Mikael just had to acknowledge the facts, people don't really like the new stuff :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
They just played at Wacken a Community voted Setlist.
And Mikael said on stage the newest song on it is still 10 years old and it makes him a bit sad. ("He might have done nothing good the past 10 years")
I mean I'm somewhat surprised a community voted Opeth setlist had anything on it that was less than 20 years old

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I still love Watershed. It was clear changes were coming but it still sounded like an Opeth record (and it had some bangers on it for sure). So I definetely include it into the "good stuff" bucket.

But man, everything after it was just like..."wtf is this?". If he got songs younger than Watershed included on the voted setlist, he should consider himself lucky :lol:

Eviga

Reaction score
The songs you could vote for were quite limited
not my votes btw

nje52pjtkotc1.png

Watershed was also my last Opeth album i enjoyed

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The songs you could vote for were quite limited
not my votes btw

nje52pjtkotc1.png

Watershed was also my last Opeth album i enjoyed
That "quite limited" selection still leaves you with a lot of cool songs from the old days to choose from. I wouldn't complain if this was for a show I had intention to go, honestly. I mean (in no particular order):

- Demon Of The Fall
- Deliverance
- Ghost Of perdition
- Face Of melinda
- The Lotus Eater
- Heir Apparent
- Windowpane
- The Drapery Falls
- Under The Weeping Moon
- Black Rose Inmortal

What a killer setlist would that be.

Last edited:

neurosis

Reaction score
That "quite limited" selection still leaves you with a lot of cool songs from the old days to choose from. I wouldn't complain if this was for a show I had intention to go, honestly. I mean (in no particular order):

- Demon Of The Fall
- Deliverance
- Ghost Of perdition
- Face Of melinda
- The Lotus Eater
- Heir Apparent
- Windowpane
- The Drapery Falls
- Under The Weeping Moon
- Black Rose Inmortal

What a killer setlist would that be.
In my opinion they have such a depth in the catalog now that they could tailor the sets to cover any mood within their register. I am also partial to the old stuff but think a lot of the new songs, particularly the Heritage and Sorceress stuff work really well live.

When it came out Heritage felt like a flop but it has really grown on me over time. With Pale Communion I was on Heritage hangover and revisiting that record so didn't pay much attention to the new release. By the time Sorceress came out I was ready for it. But I have completely passed over In Cauda Venenum. I am hoping this new record is a good mix of old and new. They are great musicians and he writes awesome songs so we'll see. It must be really hard/frustrating to know you connected with an audience over specific material but wanting to explore other elements in your songs. To be fair I think what turns off most people on the new records is the single-coil bright type sound on the guitars. Reminds me a little bit of what happened with Baroness. When you see them live though every sound is audible and cuts through beautifully because of it. I thought the tour they did years ago with Mastodon here in the US showed how adaptable they can be where they would fit a bill like that and not feel out of place. Many of my friends here are not so big on the European stuff and left being fans so the band works and still expands. Ok.. rambling off/

That list is missing Leper Affinity, The Moor and maybe an encore with some long ass track like When? :D

')