Any opinions on the SD Black Winter PUPs?

• Thread starter TheUnvanquished
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnvanquished

Reaction score
Just curious if any of you guys had tried these pickups, and was wondering what your opinions of them were...

I want to change my pickups in my gibson explorer. Anyone try them in a dark, all mahogany guitar? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
From what I heard, they sound awesome, like a beefed up Super Distortion.

I almost got a 7-string set, but SD won't make them with gold covers :/

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
SD will make anything you want in the custom shop. You just have to pay for it. From what I have heard of the black winter set they sound really harsh and pretty bright, but they would probably work great in an explorer.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
From what I can tell, they're a more aggressive Distortion with a bit more midrange, so they'd likely work well in the Explorer if you like that sort of sound already

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
EXTREMELY BRIGHT; I call it "chirpy". There's a monster upper mid-range spike that makes it extremely annoying. Honestly? Worst aftermarket pickup I've ever played through. The SH-6 decimates it in every way

Colossal Incantation

Reaction score
I use them in my SG Standard. They sound great and are very sensitive, almost to a Blackouts level. Like many pickups, different players will prefer the Black Winter set in certain guitars and not others.

TheUnvanquished

Reaction score
I might go for 'em. I've got a set of cream colored super distortions in the explorer right now. It's funny that you guys are drawing comparisons between the two. Thanks for your input everyone!

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
SD will make anything you want in the custom shop. You just have to pay for it. From what I have heard of the black winter set they sound really harsh and pretty bright, but they would probably work great in an explorer.

"...we can certainly make a 7-string Black Winter for you, but as it turns out, we do not have gold covers for 7-string pickups"

:(

snowblind56

Reaction score
EXTREMELY BRIGHT; I call it "chirpy". There's a monster upper mid-range spike that makes it extremely annoying. Honestly? Worst aftermarket pickup I've ever played through. The SH-6 decimates it in every way

I take it you haven't played a Dimebucker...

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I think they are pretty awesome, I have them in a LTD Phoenix-1000. I wanted something bright for that guitar since it is a giant chunk of mahogany. The stock 59/JB set were just too dark for me. Probably don't want to use them in a guitar that already has a bright sound.

serch777

Reaction score
I'm just trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the Black Winters or a BKP Aftermath calibrated set. I'd put them on a Mayones Regius with mahogany body. I was about to get the Aftermaths but since the Keith Merrow and Gord Olson videos sound f*cking amazing, I just can't decide. I think if the BW sound a bit trebly, they would balance well with the mahogany body of the Regius....hmmm...

This clip is just impressive:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Also another demo of Black Winters in a Mahogany body guitar.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
"...we can certainly make a 7-string Black Winter for you, but as it turns out, we do not have gold covers for 7-string pickups"

:(

When I said that I meant 6 string as he has an Explorer.

serch777

Reaction score
Yep, they're here! I'll take them to get installed on Thursday. Hopefully they will be ready for the weekend, I'll give you a review as soon as possible guys!! :hbang:

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the Black Winters myself. I've got a mahogany neck and body guitar, and I wonder how these would balance out. I'd like something thick but modern and tight. Kind of like a brick wall falling down on you.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Black Winters are made to sound harsh, they're called Black Winter for a reason :rolleyes:

They are indeed grim and ever so slightly, frostbitten. :evil:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Not to forget trvely kvlt.

And they also sound best when recorded with ultra lo-fi equipment such as this vintage fisher price tape recorder. Just don't get them too close to a church, cause they will burn it down.

fisherprice-tape.jpg

')