Any other 8 strings with a smaller neck, similar to a Dean RC8?

• Thread starter EdgeCrusher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
What's up everyone! I've been mainly playing my Ibanez RG8 ever since I picked it up back in 2016; I've been loving it for the most part. I rarely even pick up my MIJ 6 and 7 string RG's anymore. My buddy bought a Dean RC8X a while back though and I've found that the neck on that guitar feels much more comfortable, mostly due to being less wide. It's also 26.5" scale length instead of 27", so that may also help make it feel easier to play. I just seem to play better on it; I'm more accurate, cleaner, have to stretch less, etc. It really feels more like my RG7621 than an 8. Everytime I pick up my RG8 after playing his guitar, it just feels much wider and bulkier and I seem to struggle a bit more.

I've also started to experience some lingering pain in my wrist after extending playing on the RG8, so the obvious answer would be to pick up a RC8X or something with a similarly sized neck. Are they any out there that you all would recommend? I only play in F# standard, so 26.5" works just fine for me, though I feel like it is more the width of the neck that is the issue more than anything; the string spacing is just wider. I'm not sure that a fanned fret neck would make much of a difference, though I have very little experience playing any. I've only briefly picked up an Ibanez RG8MS and a Legator Ghost 8 at GC. They felt a bit nicer, but it's hard to compare without playing back to back with a normal RG8. Admittedly, I am an Ibanez fanboy, but I'm assuming that most it not all of the other Ibanez 8's have similar neck dimensions as the RG8, so I don't think upgrading to a RG2228 would help much in this regard. Never played one though :shrug:

I'd appreciate any suggestions from y'all! Budget would under $1,000 ideally.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
I am also open to any other suggestions for 8 strings that just play better than the budget RG8. I am seeing a few used Dean Exile Select multiscale 8's for just over $1,000; not sure how those feel, and am also unsure as to the Kahler trem on an 8. I am also considering a Legator Ninja or Ghost, those it seems those can be hit or miss.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Edwards E-HR8. There's a FX and a FR version. I think @Hollowway has the FR. Scale length is 26.22". Finding one under 1,000 USD might be very tricky though.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Edwards E-HR8. There's a FX and a FR version. I think @Hollowway has the FR. Scale length is 26.22". Finding one under 1,000 USD might be very tricky though.
Yeah, I’ve got the FR one. And they are hard to find in general, bring a JDM instrument. And not particularly cheap when they are available, unfortunately.

')