Any Porcupine Tree fans here?

• Thread starter thedonutman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thedonutman

Reaction score
Their new album, The Incident, is out in about a weeks time. But it's been made "available" elsewhere if you were so inclined.

This is a song they released as a preview a while ago:

Some other songs off their previous albums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
My drummer told me to expect a new release about 2 weeks ago.

Definitely, though I did get into them rather late. But still awesome stuff, even the stuff before In Absentina.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Yeah, there are definitely quite a few Tree fans around these parts. I am one of them. :metal:

I can't exactly put my finger on why I adore them so much. I think that it has a lot to do with the msyerious, ambient nature of many of their songs. Repeated listens are always rewarded, the listener hearing new things every time. Steven Wilson's focus on "songwriting" has always given them edge over other prog bands too, IMO.

aphelion

Reaction score
such and underated band...intimate progressive, if ever such a thing existed

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, there are definitely quite a few Tree fans around these parts. I am one of them. :metal:

I can't exactly put my finger on why I adore them so much. I think that it has a lot to do with the msyerious, ambient nature of many of their songs. Repeated listens are always rewarded, the listener hearing new things every time. Steven Wilson's focus on "songwriting" has always given them edge over other prog bands too, IMO.

I think you really did put your finger on it there ;) Couldn't agree more, the emphasis on beautiful melodies and taste is what makes them stand out. Some of Steven's vocal lines are absolutely chest-ripping. For me, In Absentia has the best blend of well-placed heaviness and beautiful ambience, but they have plenty of great moments on other records.

Demiurge

Reaction score
One of my favorite bands, by far. I'm excited that within the next few weeks, the new albums drops and they're playing in Boston at the House of Blues. Venue sucks, but I'll get over it.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
These guys are definitely one of my favorites. I got to meet Steven a few years ago at a show. They were opening up for Opeth and I had no idea who he was, but I talked to him for half an hour and when I saw them perform I felt so stupid for not worshiping him when we had spoken.

White Cluster

Gives Life Meaning
Reaction score
One of my favorite bands, by far. I'm excited that within the next few weeks, the new albums drops and they're playing in Boston at the House of Blues. Venue sucks, but I'll get over it.

Yes,they are one of my favorite bands also.The new album is epic(couldn't help myself but its pre-ordered),To make things even better they have King's X opening for them on the Boston and New York dates.It's gonna be amazing!:bowdown:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
probably my favorite band over the last year (unless you dont include Blackfield as PT)

Just unreal, its the perfect mix of like pop, rock, metal, everything. I love it.

weird thought though (im listening to "Voyage 34 Part I" right now.. does it remind anyone of a Pink floyd song.. something off The Wall, I forget which song.. but yea, its the same riff.. Just saying, wondering if this was coincidence or purposely)

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
But of course! I've been listening to them since 2002, when I first heard "Trains" on the Live 365 internet radio station. I have the In Absentia, and Deadwing albums. "Trains" is great. Some other favorites of mine:

"The Start of Something Beautiful" (I'd put the live YouTube version on, but I don't like the way the bass sounds on it)

Porcupine Tree - The Start Of Something Beautiful on Vimeo

+1 It's just cool sounding prog rock! It's not uber difficult to play their stuff, but it sounds so good!! There is more to good music, than just difficult to play parts. All the parts of the 'Tree's music go together so well! That isn't to say that they haven't done a few clunkers. Some of their stuff just makes me go yecch! But, when they're good, they REALLY good! :yesway:

Yoshi

Reaction score
The Warszawa live album is incredible. Slave called Shiver is just so fucking awesome.

I'm missing a few albums, but should have all soon.

pink freud

Reaction score
I've seen them for both the Deadwing and FOABP tours.

I'm seeing them again on the 15th. First US tour date :hbang:

bigswifty

Reaction score
Porcupine Tree is incredible, been a fan since i first heard em.
<3 The Sound of Muzak + Nil Recurring EP
Not sure what to think of the new track tho..

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
one of the best prog rock bands ever

new album has been leaked but i haven't listened

Makkiss

Reaction score
Maybe the best Prog Rock band out there!
I own only 2 albums,In Absentia and Fear of the Black Planet.
I have preorderet the new one and i cant wait to get it.
Great music! Fun to play too.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I freaking love Porcupine Tree. I got into them when Deadwing was released and haven't gone back. I've got everything they've released from Lightbulb Sun forward, and I'm really looking forward to the new album. Fear of a Blank Planet especially was a monster of an album, with 'Anesthetize' being the pinnacle, it is just SUCH an incredible song!

Crometeef

Reaction score
PT is one of my fav bands. has been for a while. there was a thread asking what's your favorite 20 minute song (or close to) and i'd have to go with Anesthetize (even though its about 2 min short of 20 min) i think steven wilson has some of my favorite lyrics. he's also a hell of a guitar player and producer. anyone see the opeth damnation/deliverance dvd were he improved a little solo over the clean harmonys in master's apprentice?

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Their last album + EP are my favorite. I love them! I like bands that don't really care if they're been heavy or not, as long as it's good (Opeth and Pain of Salvation are somewhat like that, too IMO).

')