Any Porcupine Tree fans here?

• Thread starter thedonutman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Fantastic fucking band. Every player is just classy. The new stuff sounds beautiful. They dont get too carried away with the prog aspect either. The songs I like always ebb and flow without having to show off too much. Great band

That isn't to say that they haven't done a few clunkers. Some of their stuff just makes me go yecch! But, when they're good, they REALLY good! :yesway:

Have to agree with this. They can sound really "uncool" at times haha. But like you said when they're good WOW :agreed:

Lips of ashes is an absolute trip. Couldn't find it on youtube but man that song takes me places

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
Porcupine Tree is great! I get a great kick out of my biology class because my instructor looks just like Steven Wilson. I started listening to them when I heard Opeth's "Damnation" and found out Steven Wilson who produced the record had a band. I see Blackfield has been mentioned. Anyone listen to his solo stuff or anything else he's been in?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Probably my favorite thing about Porcupine Tree is just how brutally honest Steven Wilson's voice is. He's obviously not a virtuoso singer, but his voice just cuts to the core. Just listen to 'Feel So Low,' even though it's pretty restrained, you can just hear this incredible underlying sense of despair.

I :wub: Steven Wilson.

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
Probably my favorite thing about Porcupine Tree is just how brutally honest Steven Wilson's voice is. He's obviously not a virtuoso singer, but his voice just cuts to the core. Just listen to 'Feel So Low,' even though it's pretty restrained, you can just hear this incredible underlying sense of despair.

I :wub: Steven Wilson.

I agree, Steven Wilson isn;t a virtuoso singer, but his singing is OH SO proper for the music! In general, one of the reasons, the good stuff is SO GOOD for Porcupine Tree, is because they don't overplay. They play what's needed to convey the song's meaning/message - not to show off, and say "hey! look at me!, ain't I the greatest!?"

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Just got The Incident limited edition in the mail today, and my GOD. This is one of their most ambitious albums yet. It covers a lot of sonic territory, everything from beautiful tunes to crushing Meshuggah-like riffage. This is probably my favorite album yet, followed by In Absentia. If there's one thing you can do before you die, its buy this album! Well....and probably see them too. Planning on seeing them on the 21st, here's hoping! :D

toolsound

Reaction score
I haven't checked out many of their songs, but I love Blackest Eyes. After the first few listens I thought it was a very "chill" song. Just a really great song to mellow out to. Then I read the lyrics and was surprised to see how dark and disturbing they were. The combination really made me love the song all the more.

...after writing that I have no idea why I haven't checked out PT's other material yet.

pink freud

Reaction score
I haven't checked out many of their songs, but I love Blackest Eyes. After the first few listens I thought it was a very "chill" song. Just a really great song to mellow out to. Then I read the lyrics and was surprised to see how dark and disturbing they were. The combination really made me love the song all the more.

...after writing that I have no idea why I haven't checked out PT's other material yet.

Steven Wilson can make Radiohead seem optimistic.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I am super excited about the new album. I pre-ordered the Vinyl special edition, and of course "aquired" it.

I simply cannot wait to spin it on the good ol' turntable.

Reaction score
Much like Opeth, I just didn't dig this band the first few times I listened to them. I've changed my stance on Opeth, so it stands to reason I should give this band another opportunity. What are a couple albums I should check out?

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Much like Opeth, I just didn't dig this band the first few times I listened to them. I've changed my stance on Opeth, so it stands to reason I should give this band another opportunity. What are a couple albums I should check out?

I would recommend that you seek out In Absentia and Deadwing first, before moving onto the likes of Stupid Dream and Fear of a Blank Planet. As far as their latter albums are concerned (Lightbulb Sun and beyond), you really cannot go wrong, IMO. :metal:

Nats

Reaction score
seeing them on the 24th. can't wait

Wiz

Reaction score
Yeah saw them today at the Moore Theatre. I think they were pretty tight, pretty flawless set. They played the first half of the new album, and then some of the oldies for the remaining half of the set.

Things I noticed:

- Steve Wilson has like 30 different guitars, he used 3 on just one song lol.

- Mix wasn't too great, I could barely hear the guitars at times, although you could hear Steve's voice very well.

- Didn't see any of the videos playing on the screen behind the band. Note to self: buy tickets earlier so I don't end up on the 3rd floor again :wallbash:

- Steve doesn't like shoes that much apparently lol, although I remember reading about that somewhere. He also walks around the stage like a sumo guy.

- That 1 Guy was awesome.

pink freud

Reaction score
Yeah saw them today at the Moore Theatre. I think they were pretty tight, pretty flawless set. They played the first half of the new album, and then some of the oldies for the remaining half of the set.

Things I noticed:

- Steve Wilson has like 30 different guitars, he used 3 on just one song lol.

- Mix wasn't too great, I could barely hear the guitars at times, although you could hear Steve's voice very well.

- Didn't see any of the videos playing on the screen behind the band. Note to self: buy tickets earlier so I don't end up on the 3rd floor again :wallbash:

- Steve doesn't like shoes that much apparently lol, although I remember reading about that somewhere. He also walks around the stage like a sumo guy.

- That 1 Guy was awesome.

I was there. Row P, right in the middle.

He used 3 PRS guitars, plus the acoustic and a piano on the 55 min epic. One of the PRSes looked to be the Mushok sig baritone. For "Russia on Ice" he had some Telecaster shaped guitar that had a video display on it that showed colors and textures (kind of like Windows Media Player, but better).

Another changeup was the other guitarist using a Marshall instead of another Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R.

That 1 Guy is cool, but he didn't do anything different then when he opened up for Buckethead.

Wiz

Reaction score
I was there. Row P, right in the middle.

He used 3 PRS guitars, plus the acoustic and a piano on the 55 min epic. One of the PRSes looked to be the Mushok sig baritone. For "Russia on Ice" he had some Telecaster shaped guitar that had a video display on it that showed colors and textures (kind of like Windows Media Player, but better).

Another changeup was the other guitarist using a Marshall instead of another Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R.

That 1 Guy is cool, but he didn't do anything different then when he opened up for Buckethead.

LCD guitar: Visionary Instruments

')