Any PRS SE love out there?

• Thread starter Chris O
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
Or do I have it all right now? ;)

I stopped at a super high-end shop here in the Twin Cities over the weekend. In the "back room" (where they keep the non-vintage "shit guitars") was a small gaggle of PRS SE's. I've glanced at them before, but never thought about them much. I picked a couple up. Not bad. Fit and finish were nice. Sounded good acoustically. Felt good.

I think I mentioned that I'm done with big $$$ guitars as of late. Just not worth it. Hard to unload. Trading is okay, but cash? Forget it.

So...I perused the local GC used shit ads. Went out and tried a couple. Bought them BOTH! I came home with a Singlecut and a Custom 22. Polished them up, re-strung, and set up to my liking. Easy. Excellent. Impressed! I may throw JB's into them, but beyond that, there's nothing to want for. Simple, playable, and outstanding for what I paid. They kill my Epi's, and hold their own against much "better" guitars.

So good...that I bought a Mushok today. I was looking for a baritone, since I had recently sold my Ibanez RGD's. it doesn't give up much. I'll probably tune it down to drop G# (like Love and Death), but it's SIMPLE and SOLID.

Anyone else out there digging these? Others I should have? I'm thinking a Soapbar might be in my future to round it out...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
SE's are probably SSO's perennial favorite / Go-to recommendation for Korean import guitars.

Generally speaking.

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
I have a SE Singlecut and it's great! everyone I ever talked with about the SE line has been very positive about them also, they're absolutely great guitars :D
Here's mine:
DSCN0209.png

Still stock but might throw in some new pickups some day, allthough these are very nice as well, specially the cleans :)

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
They're usually my first recommendation for budget humbucker guitars.

My bandmate has an Akesson SE which is absolutely fantastic. Our bassist also owns one of the earlier Santana SEs (when they were more like CU22s) and it is a nice instrument too.

The pickups might not have a load of character, but they're not rubbish. I'd say only replace them if you know what you want to move towards, IME the stock ones already work fairly well for a lot of styles.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I had the chance to buy a Dave Navarro SE not to long ago. I went with a Jackson X series instead, and I regret it so much.

I don't think I've played a bad SE.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
I had a custom 24 once :yesway: I don't regret selling it because my RG7321 is a total lifesaver in terms of my formation as a guitarist, but it was one hell of an axe!

One day I think I'll jump on a Navarro SE, cos I'm a pretty big fan :wub:
...might not be a popular choice on SS.org :lol:

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
Here we go...

To go along with those, here are my other recent acquisitions:
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele neck on a Might Mite body
Fender FSR Player's Tele w/Vintage Noiseless and 25db mid-boost
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele

The Squiers are getting new Wilkinson Tele bridges with 3-barrel compensated brass saddles, and the blue one is getting a Dimarzio Chopper T and the white one is getting a SD Little '59. The "blizzard pearl" one came with a tortoise pick guard, but that went as soon as I changed the strings. Not a tortoise fan. This may be getting a Chopper at some point as well. The necks on the Squiers - WOW. They give up nothing on the MIM stuff, and are on par with some of the USA's I've had.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
I've got this one. They should charge more for what you really get.
100_3306_zps104aa9ff.jpg

Francis978

Reaction score
My PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt signature, by far my favorite guitar, played quite a few shows with it, and it got me into Berklee. Great guitar for the price!

Excuse the poor cellphone picture...I am by no means a photographer :lol:

the_heretic_divine

The Fruit Bat
Reaction score
My rhythm guitarist plays a SE 24. VERY solid,well rounded guitar. Likes it so much,he didn't think twice about unloading his USA Jackson Rhoads.

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
My PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt signature, by far my favorite guitar, played quite a few shows with it, and it got me into Berklee. Great guitar for the price!

Excuse the poor cellphone picture...I am by no means a photographer :lol:

No, motherfucker, YOU got yourself into Berklee.

On the other hand, beautiful guitar. I'll see if I can't post mine later :D

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I still kick myself for trading my SE for a MIJ Sabre - the SE was probably the best sounding and intonated guitar i've owned to this day - would definitely consider another.

edit - i remember reading some interview with Akerfelt about his PRS - he mentioned all the weird chords he does with heavy distortion requires a PRS to sound decent - the chords will mush out on other guitars - that's a good analogy to how i felt about the SE i had - just really in tune and clear.

edit II - goddamn i use the hyphen too much

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
SE owner here too!!! I have one of the purple Allender's with the passive pickups. Fuckin love it to death!!!!

My retro check from work comes in a few weeks, so I might be adding another certain SE that just hit the market to the family.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I did some "surgery" on the Teles last night, and both the Squiers have sc-sized humbuckers in the bridge now - Chopper T in the blue and a Little '59 in the white one. The blue sparkle now has a black pickguard too - looks better IMO, and it kinda pops. With that and the hum, it's a little more "rock" now. I'm beginning to think the the white one might be a USA or Mexi body though - it didn't look like pine in the neck pocket. Kinda heavy too. I put the Wilkinson bridges in too, and all went well. They set up well, and sound terrific. I think I'll probably find a bridge p'up for the pearl Fender too, and I already have a bridge for it.

Couple "post-op" pics:

Latest posts

')