Any Schecter SLS Elite Owners/Players?

• Thread starter BadSeed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Really itching to try one of these out prior to dropping money on them, but they look like a really high quality offering. People seem to really enjoy the thin necks, but just curious of any other experiences with them?

I'm used to the days where you could find higher end Schecters used for $400 or less, but those days seem to be gone, LOL

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I had one for a while and it’s a beautiful build. The neck is very narrow and thin and can turn people away. Its ultimately what did me in. I’m more an Ibanez guy, so there’s my two cents.

Kobalt

Reaction score
I had one for a while and it’s a beautiful build. The neck is very narrow and thin and can turn people away. Its ultimately what did me in. I’m more an Ibanez guy, so there’s my two cents.
Precisely why I did away with all my Schecters. Insane build quality and specs for the price, but I couldn’t get with the necks. The thickness is fine, the ultra thin one is nice, but the 42mm nut width is too narrow - crazy how 1mm makes a ton of difference.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
I had one for a while and while the quality was phenomenal, I just prefer ESP's offerings more. I also am more into plain solid finishes over quilted maple tops with transparent finishes.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
I love the Schecter ultra thin necks. I don't have the SLS yet but waiting on the right one used. I have a couple of the MIK Banshees. I keep coming back to them.

Shask

Reaction score
Precisely why I did away with all my Schecters. Insane build quality and specs for the price, but I couldn’t get with the necks. The thickness is fine, the ultra thin one is nice, but the 42mm nut width is too narrow - crazy how 1mm makes a ton of difference.
Lol. That is why I keep buying more Schecters. The narrow neck is perfect for those of us with short fingers. :)

AJS

Reaction score
Lol. That is why I keep buying more Schecters. The narrow neck is perfect for those of us with short fingers. :)

Really is a preference thing. Always why I recommend trying it in person if possible. Most Guitar Centers have a bunch.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Thanks for the info folks!

I'm definitely leaning towards snagging one. My local Guitar center usually has a very narrow selection but I may head there and see if they have one on the rac.

I have an original Solo 6 SLS and absolutely love the neck on that one. Thin and fast.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
I was an Ibanez player for a long time. I find that I like the narrower Schecter Ultra Thin neck for rhythm playing and lead playing below the 12th fret. Where the wider neck helps is higher up the neck. But the reality is most of my playing is lower down the neck.

elkoki

Reaction score
beautiful guitar. The finishes on them vary from guitar to guitar. There might be a few little "flaws" but nothing major. The neck is thin and flat and feels nice to play. Very stiff,stable feeling neck. Good pickups for metal, but it's not that versatile and I wasn't a big fan of the 26.5'' scale length on the 7 string.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Well I actually bit the bullet and ordered the sunset fade C1 SLS Elite from GC's used site for $850 w/ case.
I also ordered an C! Apocalypse Black Carbon w/ case, and a CR6 w/ case and upgraded locking tuners.
Off the deep end, I know, but they were all used and I have a 45 day return window to figure out which one suits me the best. At worst, I'll be out $18 shipping if I don't like any of them. Lol.

I will report back when they show up.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
Well I actually bit the bullet and ordered the sunset fade C1 SLS Elite from GC's used site for $850 w/ case.
I also ordered an C! Apocalypse Black Carbon w/ case, and a CR6 w/ case and upgraded locking tuners.
Off the deep end, I know, but they were all used and I have a 45 day return window to figure out which one suits me the best. At worst, I'll be out $18 shipping if I don't like any of them. Lol.

I will report back when they show up.

Ha Ha I use the same strategy sometimes....And.....damn...... I was eyeing that same SLS!!

BadSeed

Reaction score
Ha Ha I use the same strategy sometimes....And.....damn...... I was eyeing that same SLS!!
Sorry, my guy! I'll let ya know how she plays on Monday when it shows up! Could have had it today if GC didn't wait 2 days to ship it. LOL

BadSeed

Reaction score
Guitar #1 is here!
119711122_2653114615017979_2332200328697727231_n.jpg

BadSeed

Reaction score
First night with the Apocalypse - Thoughts:

This this has REALLY low action. It plays fantastic. The neck is a little thicker than I had originally expected, but I really enjoy the shape. Stainless Steel frets are really smooth under the fingers. Ebony fretboard doesn't appear to be polished like it is on my other Schecters, and this gives it a little rougher look and feel under the fingers, so that's slightly disappointing.

The pickups are interesting. Very hot, and very modern. Clear and tight on palm mutes, but the single notes on the A and D strings are a little stringy/quacky. I only tried it on my 5150 III so it may be the amp/cab/guitar combo not sitting super well together. I'll try it through my Diezel rig tonight and see how they fair.

The CR6 shows up this morning, so I'll post some pictures of that one when it arrives!

Ignoramus

Reaction score
I've been looking at the SLS for most of this year. The specs and pickups are what are most alluring. So I'm curious as to how you like it.

Have to ask -- you can have 3 guitars shipped to another GC and it only costs you $6 each? Did I misunderstand?

BadSeed

Reaction score
I had them shipped to my home and yes, it only cost $6 per guitar. Guitar center is notorious for wild shipping prices. I've had 412 cabs shipped to me for $12 before. Nuts.

')