Any SSO Vapers? (Electronic-cigarettes)

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I also picked up a Smok Micro One kit the other day with the R80 mod and TFV4 micro (which is smaller and takes smaller coils than the mini)

I love the way it feels to hit that tfv4 micro; however, it's burning out coils. I didn't even get a few days out of the coils that came with it, and the coils for this thing aren't very cheap.

One of them was their clapton coil. But I've heard clapton coils are only good for people who take one big hit every 30 seconds to a minute. I hit it more often than that, so perhaps that's what burned that one out.

The other one was steel coil, and I was using it on temp control for steel, around 480 degrees, which is what I was using for nickel in the past.
Apparently even though temperature is not a relative measurement, you have to burn different coils at different temperatures. And I don't know how hot you're allowed to burn steel, apparently. So maybe that's what burnt that one out. I figured, 480 tastes good to me, 480 must be the temperature I like my vapor to be. But, somehow, it's more complicated than this.

I hope I can get this tank to not just destroy my coils, because when it works its f***ing kickass. But in the meantime my Uwell crown is still gets me there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
@vilk I've found no direct relation between coil geometry and how often you can vape. As long as I keep dripping, I could chain vape through a set of batteries on my dual clapton build on my RDA. I've come to think a burnt tasting wick is always just a wicking problem, liquid vaping faster than it can be reabsored.

I looked up pictures of your coils, they seem to have fairly small slits in them exposing the cotton. Maybe it's not enough surface area for the wick to keep up at high power/temp. Maybe it's a design flaw. Maybe your juice is too high of a viscosity. Maybe the mod runs hot/high and needs backed down a little more than seems like would make sense. Best of luck figuring it out, and I hope it's just a new tank glitch.

"only hit it once every 30 seconds" might avoid the problem but is a cop out imo

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'm so sick of coils and tanks and mods and their compatibility... I think I need to just make the switch to building my own coils and using a RDA... they even have tanks for them called 'automatic drippers' or something. Then I'll never have to worry about finding the right coil or does this company make these still or why do I keep getting duds etc etc.

How much you think it would cost to get all the stuff?
wire
cotton
tool set
ohm reader
rda

What is there to look for in an RDA? I see that there are tons of them. My wife's friend works for SQuape and I'd like one of them but they're like 165 bucks. I guess they're not close enough friends to score me a discount........

I know that there is great variety among the quality of vaping experienced using tanks and replacement coils. It has to do with the coil's design in conjunction with airflow on the tank....
but if I'm building my own coils, obviously I'm going to be the one determining how good those work, and from what I understand rda's have even more open airflow than tanks generally do.

What do you look for in a good RDA?

You think I could get away with getting set up for around 50 bucks?

Action

Reaction score
Mods are almost universally compatible. For example, that R80 will fire any tank you get. If your tank is bunk, the most effective option may still be to just try a different $25 tank. Unless you've done this several times.

I use just such a tank when not at home; replacement coils are cheap and last weeks of use. I wasn't happy with my first $25 tank, went through a few before finding a good one. At one point I also used a juice that gunked up coils fast... I switched to a different type, and it made a large difference in coil lifespan.

I'd try those things once more before RDA, because convenience is king, and RDAs are not convenient.

I'm sorry to say that there's very minimal differences between $150 attys and the $20 clones... most are true 1:1 copies made from the same digital blueprints... IME the difference is that when you get the $20 RDA, you just check for metal burrs on any drilled holes... and wash it with dish soap to remove any machine oil left over from manufacturing. AKA, exactly what you should do when you get a new RDA or tank the first time, anyway.

So yes, RDAs are $20, wire is ~$5, cotton is ~$5, and modern mods double as ohm-meters. You can "get started" for ~$30 (small bit more if you dont have a set of small screwdrivers, wire clips, and a pair of needlenose pliers)... but the time investment of learning to make coils and tweak them is large. Nor will you be entirely happy with how an RDA hits when you are an amateur builder. It might take you 3 builds to "perfect" it; it might take you 30. You'll probably make a few mistakes at first, like most of us, and burn a few wicks (although its fast and free to replace RDA wicks, unlike with tank coil assemblies). There's frustration potential. Having a working backup is nice.

Dripping is not viable unless you are stationary at a desk/etc a lot... you will need to open a bottle of juice and redrip every 10-12 hits... it's not doable while driving. RDAs also leak if not kept upright. There's been talk of autodrippers with reservoirs for a long time; I haven't looked in the last few months but I've seen no functional designs yet. If you are still interested, we can tell you what to look for in an RDA and good resources to learn making your own builds. If you don't have 10-20 hours to invest in reading, watching, and attempting RDA builds to become good at it, or if this sounds like sometihng that might frustrate you unless you approach it at a slower pace, then I'd try another tank by a different manufacturer first (after reading a review or two of the tank on youtube), and namely I would not get anything called "micro" or "mini" since smaller tends to mean more finnicky.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^That's good stuff, buddy. Thank you.

I do have a good tank-- the Uwell Crown. Works great on my mod, hits excellent, it's what I use every day presently. I'm getting an RDA because it kinda looks fun and I'm interested in learning how to do it. Also if I find that I like it and get good at it I will probably end up saving loads on new coils and new tanks for the new coils because they only fit with new tanks endless cycle of purchases

I placed an order yesterday
Velocity RDA (20$ clone from vaporeso)

Japanese cotton

10pcs pre-made pre-cut clapton wire. I know I can get 15ft for less money per, but I don't want to invest in a bunch of wire if I don't like it.

Ohm-reader... I didn't think about the fact that my mod has one built in... it was only 9 bucks and had good reviews so... eh if my mod ever kicks the bucket I'll have this too.

Kuro Jig tool - This thing is a coil winding tool that comes with the things you need for it contained inside. I've read that building coils is difficult and that no one gets it right on their first try, but the video makes this thing seem so simple that I don't see how I could go wrong.

But also I'm a regular at a vape shop near where I work and I intend to go in there and build my first setup on my lunch break under their supervision.

...I still need to tell my wife I bought this stuff.... :eek: ... but it did come out to less than 50$ :yesway:

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Just got a Smok Cube X II for myself and the Cube Mini for the lady, as well as TF4V Minis for both of us. This things pretty sweet, but, well, I'm still trying to understand half the things this mod can do.

Good purchase! I've been using the Xcube II for around 7 months and I love it. It beats every box I've owned so far. You need to get the app for your phone to link it up and edit you temp control coefficients if you want to use the TC regularly though. Also, update it when you can so you can go to 180W and use titanium.

Action

Reaction score
But also I'm a regular at a vape shop near where I work and I intend to go in there and build my first setup on my lunch break under their supervision.

...I still need to tell my wife I bought this stuff.... :eek: ... but it did come out to less than 50$ :yesway:

That's all great stuff you chose. A velocity clone is my current favorite RDA. :cool: A $9 ohmmeter is worth having, and doubles as a platform to hold the RDA base secure while you build on it. That coil winding tool, although I do mine traditionally, ive heard a lot of good about those spinning type winders. Clapton wire is annoying to make, so no worries buying it.

All I can add is the probably-obvious... don't practice rolling on the valuable wire... pick up a 10' spool of plain kanthal at the local shop, to learn/practice with the winder on, and to compare how normal coils work (and how to adjust them after installation) vs claptons. If you're unsure of plain gauge to choose, grab 24g

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Sigelei/Subtank blackout time

2016-02-21%2019.40.26_zps7kk0cdqr.jpg

My wife and I have had a couple of eleaf istick 50w batteries that finally completely failed or fell apart, so I found two of these for $20 each. I've had a few 18650 batteries laying around from our old evics so no need to buy more :yesway:

And since my wife loves to shatter tanks I've decided to buy a black subtank mini to have some spare parts around.

I also bought a cheap coil jig. Makes life easier. I was pretty good at using those little screwdrivers for making coils :lol:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Did my first build yesterday

dual clapton coils. against Actions friendly advice... idk, I was excited to try my new thing.

scored a 0.4, fires pretty good at 50w. This is actually around what I was aiming for. This RDA business is excellent, perfect flavor every time. I brought it to work today because I'm a child and I can't put down a new toy. Dripping and driving is dumb, made me slow to accel at a green light which is one of my own pet peeves. So today is the last day I'll bring this out, I'll move back to the tank for mobile ventures. But boy am I enjoying this, and I'm sure my future builds might even go better? and I'll never have to worry about new tanks and new coils. I think if the uwell crown ever goes out of style I'll just get a rebuildable drip tank. It was actually really fun to make something with my hands for once, which normally isn't my strong suite.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Awesome. Building coils is not that hard once you do it a few times. Now you need to start making juice!

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I started vaping again, just to help me quit smoking ganja. Right now I have some "vape4paws" vanilla mint. Its good liquid, and they donate part of the profits to 501c animal shelters. So that's cool.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a the Cube X II and Titanium coils? Tried using that with my Smok TF4V mini, and for the life of me could not get a good hit in temp control. Even tried messing with settings in the app. Ended up just putting a quad coil in.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^I haven't used Ti with any TFV4's, but I used them in my joyetech evic vt when those first came out. I found it to be inferior quality vaping experience as compared to either nickel or kanthal. I don't intend to ever buy Ti coils again.

I'm not perfectly happy with my TFV4 micro, but I've recently (read: yesterday night) discovered that it gives decent hits using SS coils on the wattage setting but set lower than I usually do for kanthal coils. I do not get a good quality vaping experience when I use SS coils on the SS temp setting...
So maybe just Smok brand kinda sucks at programming their temp ctrl?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
^I haven't used Ti with any TFV4's, but I used them in my joyetech evic vt when those first came out. I found it to be inferior quality vaping experience as compared to either nickel or kanthal. I don't intend to ever buy Ti coils again.

I'm not perfectly happy with my TFV4 micro, but I've recently (read: yesterday night) discovered that it gives decent hits using SS coils on the wattage setting but set lower than I usually do for kanthal coils. I do not get a good quality vaping experience when I use SS coils on the SS temp setting...
So maybe just Smok brand kinda sucks at programming their temp ctrl?

I was assuming Ti would be better, guess not. I never had problems with my Subtank Mini in temp control. Maybe I'll stick to that tank when I feel like the rare instance I want to use temp control, or try out a nickel coil for the TFV4.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I rebuilt today using plain 26g wire, enjoying it much better than the clapton wire. Clapton wire takes too long to get hot, but this 26g wire is hot as soon as I hit the button

monkeysuncle

Reaction score
Just noticed this thread ..
Been smoking a pack a day of Marlboro reds for roughly 4 years now (been smoking for a little over 5 years now) tried quitting a few times with very little success. Recently been puffing on a Vuse ecig to at least cut back a bit, been working somewhat ...
Tried cold turkey quitting, various e-cigs, nicotine gum and still find it very difficult just to cut back.
Hope to quit sooner than later, but yeah ... to the nonsmokers viewing this thread, don't start ...

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^I'll say this much-- using one of those cheap disposable ecigs is not like using the type of things we're talking about mostly in this thread. The reason these high end vapes convert people is because it's actually MORE enjoyable than smoking tobacco. Vuse and Blu and Mark5 and even like cheap 25$ vape pens, in my opinion, are less enjoyable than smoking. That's why people who try those usually don't quit and then dismiss the idea of ecigs. But out here in IL even if you spent 100 bucks getting set up with good vape gear, that's still less money than a carton.

anyhoo, I had been researching RTAs and I've seen some cool ones, but I've already got so much vape gear that I decided to go the cheap rout and just buy an RBA adapter for my TFV4. It's a little finnicky to work with, the first time I set it up I ended up drinking ejuice. But now it's going right.

But it's like super effin hot. I'm firing it at only 3.5v and it's nearly burning my mouth. If I fire it at 4v like I normally do it practically hurts. I can't explain it. But hell, it works fine when you fire it lower so why the hell not save on some battery life and ejuice consumption. Maybe it has something to do with it having clapton wire. Maybe I should rebuild it with plain wire since I've decided that I usually like that better.

TechDeathWannabe

Reaction score
')