Any SSO Vapers? (Electronic-cigarettes)

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TechDeathWannabe

Reaction score
Most of them seem to work with eGo or 510 threads, Limelight's "Coral Rose" says the connection is "Standard 510, adjustable ring, 14mm diameter", and acceptable batteries are "IMR 18350/18500 Flat top / Button top".
Edit: they have a "kicklet", which if I understand correctly, allows for regulation. It's an upcharge, but maybe a worthy one?

I really want to make my own, once I better understand optimal setup for clouds, but I'm not there yet. That shouldn't be much more expensive than a pen though, unless the electronics/components are more expensive than I'm thinking. I've estimated at around $30-80 for internals and an atomizer, then however much the wood costs, finishes, etc, and a stem. And for my build, I want a churchwarden stem. I already know that's not gonna be my cheapest option.

And novice confession, I still don't quite understand sub-ohms.
I'm not sure if sub-ohms and all that crap will be necessary for best clouds, but if I don't have'ta get into them, I'd rather something basic and simple. I may be completely satisfied with the clouds I get from a pen, even. Especially if "smoke rings" are feasible and visible. But, if sub-ohming or a more complex setup is necessary for that, I'm not against trying.

I guess to turn it into a (long) question;
I think I remember vilk saying that he tried some 100%VG juice, and got some intense clouds from it, but was warned that his setup was inadequate. What is the optimal setup for good clouds? Not crazy thick, but thick enough to try tricks and have that childish joy "I'm breathing FIRE!" look and feel as mentioned in previous pages?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TechDeathWannabe

Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't understand most of what he's saying, so he may be running a specific juice, or might have modified it, but being a review, I think the device itself would be unchanged. Anyways. Seems to be a Kayfun atomizer, couldn't understand which exact model, and I'm not very familiar with the name or their products. But. If those clouds are anything to go by, (and yes, I'll be watching more videos, hopefully in English,) then that's plenty for what I'm wanting.

https://youtu.be/rD2q7CsAWZQ

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/search?q=grimmgreen+e+pipe

^A few reviews on some pipes

As far as liquid, it all depends on what you want and like. you are probably going to have to go through a lot of different flavors before you find one you like so you might want to look up some vape stores in your local area if there are any. a lot of them I've seen will let you test different juice. I make my own, and now that I'm thinking about it, it would be real easy to make some 0 nicotine juice..

Action

Reaction score
Kayfuns are nice, but they are manual rebuildables, that you wire and wick yourself. You want an atomizer that throws the vapor of a kayfun, but is prefab, with disposable $3 wick/coil assemblies. There's a dozen to choose from that are $30 and less. There's also at least six excellent and suitable batteries that are $40 or less.

Kanger, Aspire make good atomizers for your purpose. kanger's subtank, aspire's atlantis v2. eleaf makes good affordable batteries. Some places will sell you the battery and atomizer together for about the same deal.

They sell more than one resistance of replacement coil for these atomizers. They're marketed as sub-ohm because they're capable of it, but they do not have to be used in that mode. So if you don't like operating the tank at high power, high airflow, big clouds from the low resistance coils... or you dont like your battery life when you're vaping at 30 or 40 watts... or just to see the difference... you can put in a higher resistance replacement coil (e.g. 1.0 ohm) and vape smaller clouds with medium airflow at a lower and more modest power. The atomizers usually come with one of each kind so you can see for yourself before you order a pack of replacements. The vape shop might charge a little more for replacements than the internet; after all this is a razor and blades type business model.

---

A word about those pipes you are looking at, they are mechanical. Unregulated mechanical mods and non-adjustable batteries are no good for beginners; you'll need the ability to fine tune the power you get in your hit if you're using one of the above atomizers, and mechs don't have that capability. The guys who use mechs always manually build, and they have to calculate an appropriate resistance of coil to make to match their battery's fixed voltage. I strongly advise against that kind of thing if you're not already advanced and rebuilding yourself. Yes, it's cool if the ecig resembles a traditional smoking device, but that's putting form over function in a way that goes against your other goals. Getting involved with mods with removable li-ion batteries -> gotta buy cells, a charger, cases, and learn lots about battery safety. The $30 istick -> plug it into USB every night and forget about it. The mech -> can start a fire if it is depressed in your pocket. The regulated battery -> dozen different failsafes including auto shut-off. Take it from a guy who's gone through a lot of pains in the ass so that others hopefully don't have to, lol.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Check it out, techdeath

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/aspire-odyssey-kit.html

Aspire odyssey kit comes with a good tank and what looks to be a decent mod. The reason I think this tank is for you, is because you can switch between +ohm coils and sub-ohm coils. That's right, you can drop in a 1.8ohm or whatever and it'll be like your classic oldschool vape that hits like a cigarette, but if you want to level up to sub-ohm all you've got to do is drop in a sub-ohm coil for this tank and bam you're in hookah hit land.

TechDeathWannabe

Reaction score
^it's also on sale, do you know me or something? :lol:

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Question though, because I am cheap, or at least don't want to make a big initial investment. I found the Kanger "Blister" starter kit on Mt Baker Vapor, would that be worth checking into? (<$20 shipped, with two bottles of juice, basic USB charger/battery, only problem I see from the description is the tank is plastic. But, that's not too major, and can be fixed if it becomes a problem.)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^those kind of devices kinda suck. You'll buy it, get it, and sure you'll get to make little smoke rings and such... but...
>those tanks don't produce good vapor or taste
>those coils are like 3/5 duds that burn out in a day or two, leak because the rubber grommet doesn't fit, etc.
>batteries don't last and the charger is annoying

basically, it'll get you your nicotine fix (which you don't need), but still every time you see someone with a good setup you'll feel that you should have just invested in something good in the fist place.

You're young, money is tight, I remember all that. You do what you gotta do, I'm just saying don't expect to have the same vaping experience as others in this thread have if you're using that kind of setup.

I'd also like to point out now that if you're the kind of person who doesn't like spending money, then probably the habit of smoking/vaping isn't for you. It is, for all practical purposes, a waste of money. It's for enjoyment. You don't have to drink diet coke, you could just drink faygo. Or you could just drink water. Get what I'm saying? Me, personally, I'm going for the diet coke. But also, my car is a piece of ..... It's all about priorities.

TechDeathWannabe

Reaction score
^I don't mind spending money, but if I'm not sure if I like it, I am cautious. I'm mainly trying to be cheap starting out because I'm trying to avoid pulling out of my PlayStation funds, since I can play video games with my younger brother without feeling guilty. I can't really say "Hey, want a puff?" with a clear conscience.

And thanks, I was hoping it'd be a little better than a disposable, but if it's about the same range, moving on.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
That's pretty much the bummer aspect of all these products. You can't know until you try, and once you've bought it, there is essentially no resale value (let alone opportunity). Pretty much the only thing you have to go off of are reviews.

But that's part of the reason I suggested that Triton tank. If you're not sure what kind of vaping you like (of the choices sub-ohm and not sub-ohm), you'd have both options available, as opposed to the many tanks out there that only have sub-ohm coils or only have +ohm coils.

Action

Reaction score
And thanks, I was hoping it'd be a little better than a disposable, but if it's about the same range, moving on.

It really is junk. It costs less because it is several years old technology/design. And you don't even want to know how lame the stuff several years before that was. The stuff we are linking is from a different generation, and practically first manufactured in 2015.

But that's part of the reason I suggested that Triton tank. If you're not sure what kind of vaping you like (of the choices sub-ohm and not sub-ohm), you'd have both options available, as opposed to the many tanks out there that only have sub-ohm coils or only have +ohm coils.

Yep, and actually, I think the aspire tank I named can accept the coils from your suggestion, and vice versa, and they can take coils from 2 other companies' tanks. That is the upside to these subohm tank makers copying each other's features and taking design cues from each other, we get interchangable replacements. Tech, I gotta second vilk's link, you'll be stoked with that kit.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
So my eleaf istick 50w had a screw loose, top screw by where the connection is. after acquiring a screwdriver for the task, I've come to the conclusion that the threads that the screw screws into are stripped. I put a little bit of liquid nails on the screw and scooted in, held down by pieces of electrical tape for now. :noplease:

20151031_152511_zpspoxm6yb4.jpg

J-Fender7

The Son of Fender
Reaction score
I have to say I've upgraded significantly in the last few months. Last time I posted on here I was using a subtank nano and istick 30w. I upgraded to a subtank mini and istick 100, and they both did great for the time I used them. The subtank was great. I still stand strongly behind kanger tanks because I have never found a more solid standard tank. I have to say that the coils were great but the RBA was definitely better. I look for more clouds, so upon using the RBA, I never looked back to the prebuilt coils.

That being said, there is a lot better pieces of equipment for the price. I just bought the project sub ohm mutation RTA tank that came out a few months back and it is by far better at about the same price. This mutation is pretty kick ass. It has a huge 4 post deck that I can build just about anything that can be built on a regular RDA. I have some .3 ohm claptons on it right now, and they chuck as well as giving amazing flavor. The only problem I've encountered is some leaking issues, as well as an issue with the top cap on the deck cover that keeps coming undone if bumped, but it barely has given me trouble. Also, it goes through drops like crazy, but I think thats just an RTA thing. For their first RTA in the line, I'd say they nailed it though.

The Istick 100 lasted me a pretty good amount of time, and my only downside to it is the resistance only runs down to .15, which really screwed me a few times. In the end the 510 connection broke, which is a pretty simple fix but inconvenient nonetheless. For about $50 plus shipping, it definitely was worth it. Since then, i've been running my mutation off of my buddies tugboat unregulated box. It has been decent, but doesn't do the tank justice. I'm just waiting for my jaybo reauleux rx200, which is an absoutely phenomenal box for the price. It runs 3 18650's and has insane battery life. I'm pretty stoked to get it.

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
Pretty much quit, use to vape all the time but kinda got out of it, only take a few hits of my brothers here and there.

But if I was going to start again I would grab a sigelei 150w, my friend has one andits so much better then any of my mech setups or my brothers mechs. The draw is just perfect

psycle_1

Reaction score
I know this isn't a classifieds section, but I figure it's more on topic here...

Anyone interested in an authentic Kayfun V4 or an authentic Kennedy V1 RDA? If so, PM me.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I have long since quit vaping, and kept off smoking. It was just a money pit, and all in all my lungs still felt like .... constantly inhaling e-liquid and nicotine.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I had originally posted in this thread a while ago and Vilk asked what mod I had...well it was a .... one.

But now I'm rocking a MELO 2 on an eVic VT box.

The MELO 2 tank/atomizer is freaking awesome and can take 3 different brand of coils/atomizers so it gives you a wide range of ohms to choose from.

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
I've been smoke free for almost 16 months now, still using a basic as hell set-up - a K1 Aspire and an eGo C Twist with a back-up eGo C upgrade. I just want something to keep me away from the cigs and it's still kind of a trip to be smoke-free (cigs, that is...) after smoking for nearly three decades.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I've still got my evic vt and my uwell crown tank. That vape experience is unparalleled imo. The crown's stainless steel coils give better flavor and smoother hits than kanthal nickel or titanium imho.

However, recently I've been won over by convenience of compact size. I picked up a kanger SUBVOD and a joyetech ego mini. Small and light enough to feel comfortable in your breast pocket, the ego mini doesn't even stick out. Yet I take still get a good sub-ohm hit. Of course, it's nowhere near as good as using my "good rig", but the evic vt is heavy, and despite being smaller than many available box mods I just really enjoy having emptier pockets (read: looser fitting thighs).

You've got to charge and refill more often obviously, but I work at a computer so I can plug it any time I'm at my desk. Also the SUBVOD came with a top-fill tank so refilling that one is a whole step less bothersome.

I'll always need my evic for road trips/all night parties/going out to bars(in IN, no ecigs in IL) because of its 5000mAh battery. But as long as I know I'm going to be able to charge up on a whim I am really enjoying these smaller devices.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a Smok Cube X II for myself and the Cube Mini for the lady, as well as TF4V Minis for both of us. This things pretty sweet, but, well, I'm still trying to understand half the things this mod can do.

')