Any suggestions on these 3 8 stingers?

• Thread starter Upgrayedd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
I have decided that I am going to give an 8 string a try. The problem is that there aren't any in my area to try so I am going to be ordering online. Being that it's my first 8 string, I'm not looking to break the bank in case I find it's not for me. Anyhow, I used to own a 7 string Damien Elite and liked it so I am leaning towards another Schecter.

I think I have narrowed it down to these models for the time being:

Damien Elite 8
*I liked the 7 and have a good idea of what to expect, however wish to try something else.

Blackjack ATX C-8
*I like the aged white cosmetically and it comes with Blackout's which I would like to try. I would try to find a used one.

2011 Omen 8? I've seen the walnut on ebay for around 300 bucks. I've heard mixed opinions on the pup's here but I also question if I would benefit much from actives as I mainly play very low volume through an amp in the bedroom. Are there many huge differnces between the 2011 and 2012 models besides the inlays?

My wildcard at the moment (and most expensive) is the SLS-8. I really dig the specs (Blackouts + 28") but don't care much for the look (hate the inlay). I know thats a stupid reason but...

I plan on keeping the low string between standard and drop E and I have heard concerns about the 26.5 neck on 3 of these 4. I would like to have alot of versatility, especially on cleans as I am hoping this will inspire me to change my playing and approach to the instrument.

I guess I was hoping to hear some feedback for those who have played those models. Thanks for reading this!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd either spring for the SLS or get the Damien Elite. Because the SLS has an ebony fretboard, you could probably use a Sharpie and colour it out (a few guys have done that, including Chris Garza allegedly). The scale length definitely helps for low tunings, and the new necks are supposed to be really comfortable.

I've owned the Damien Elite 8 and played the other two. The neck is great on the Damien, you get EMGs stock (which really aren't bad), and the hardware held up fine for me. It seems like Schecter's QC is pretty much the same for their whole Diamond line, so the features are pretty much the only differences. The Omen played well, but the pickups definitely aren't great, and changing them puts you in Damien price range.

The Blackjacks/Hellraisers definitely aren't bad, but I thought my Damien played a bit better and sounded punchier than the Hellraiser I played. I'd take the Damien over them, and the SLS over the Damien because of the longer scale.

:2c: :yesway:

Reaction score
I havent had very good luck with Schecter guitars :(. I bought a Hellraiser C-7 about 7-8 months ago but I just couldn't get it to sound good and it was a pain in the ass to set up so I ended up returning it the next day. That being said, I have owned an RGA8 and I loved it! The neck was awesome and if you swap the pickups you're golden. Maybe the RGA8 should be on your list of guitars to consider?

Here's a video of Ola Englund playing his old RGA8 before he got his Solar 8. Just to show you that if you did consider this option the pickup change is pretty important!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSRsr27dGE0

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
I have me an omen-8 (Shut up im poor), It's very playable in standard, even with the stock strings. Drop E you'd probably want something like a .80 and maybe go with a slightly heavier guage for the rest of the strings.

The SLS-8 is good, but it's hard to play unless you are used to the longer scale.

I don't know about the other 2 however, But if you do with the Omen, It's a solid guitar, the pick-ups are however, Completly shit. So I'd recomend changing them ASAP if you get an Omen.

Latest posts

')