Any tips for a swirl finish?

• Thread starter CptMcKay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CptMcKay

Reaction score
I've started a refinish project for my RG7...and before I got past the test block phase, I was wondering if anyone here had any tips for swirling a guitar?

My first test block turned out decentish...the pattern was ok but the colors were either washed out or laid on too thick.

Any advice would be well appreciated!

And mods, if this isn't the correct forum for this, please move it as you see fit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What paint are you using? The best results I got, which weren't that stellar but that was most likely do to the water mix, where using Humbrol Enamels.

Are you cutting the water with Borax?

CptMcKay

Reaction score
What paint are you using? The best results I got, which weren't that stellar but that was most likely do to the water mix, where using Humbrol Enamels.

Are you cutting the water with Borax?

I was using the Testors enamels, and I was cutting the water with borax.

Basically following the project guitar guide as closely as I could, haha.

Is it more or less something that you just have to go through some trial and error on before you start seeing good results?

CptMcKay

Reaction score
MaKo´s Tethan;1932891 said:

Tonygater has the best swirl vids by FAR...they're what got me wanting to do a swirl.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was using the Testors enamels, and I was cutting the water with borax.

Basically following the project guitar guide as closely as I could, haha.

Is it more or less something that you just have to go through some trial and error on before you start seeing good results?

I had always heard the Testor's enamel wouldn't work because it's cut with a clear mixing medium (kinda like some oil paints).

To be honest it took me a good month and a half of tinkering with borax/water mixtures, paints, and even water temperature before I even got the paint to real disperse properly. Then I tried about four different paints before trying the Humbrol (which works the best so far). Then there's all the patterns to to work with, and drying times to get used to.

Swirling is the epitome of a trial and error process.

CptMcKay

Reaction score
I had always heard the Testor's enamel wouldn't work because it's cut with a clear mixing medium (kinda like some oil paints).

To be honest it took me a good month and a half of tinkering with borax/water mixtures, paints, and even water temperature before I even got the paint to real disperse properly. Then I tried about four different paints before trying the Humbrol (which works the best so far). Then there's all the patterns to to work with, and drying times to get used to.

Swirling is the epitome of a trial and error process.

I think I remember someone saying something about having good success with Humbrol paints.

I guess for my next go around with a test block I'll get some Humbrol enamel paints this time and let my water warm up in the sun a bit. :yesway:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I remember someone saying something about having good success with Humbrol paints.

I guess for my next go around with a test block I'll get some Humbrol enamel paints this time and let my water warm up in the sun a bit. :yesway:

It was actually Tonygayter that said he used Humbrol which first got me interested in them. That's what he's using in his swirls.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tony is setting up a website for tutorials on how to swirl, it's taking FOREVER for him to put up a video though, he's been saying he'll have a video up since Christmas '09.

Here are the sites, though.

The Swirling > Home

Tony Gayter (theswirling) on Twitter

Ah! I've been waiting for him to get this together. Thanks a ton for the link!

Of all the swirler's who get decent results out there, he's pretty much the only one who's really forthcoming with his methods.

CptMcKay

Reaction score
Tony is setting up a website for tutorials on how to swirl, it's taking FOREVER for him to put up a video though, he's been saying he'll have a video up since Christmas '09.

Here are the sites, though.

The Swirling > Home

Tony Gayter (theswirling) on Twitter

Ahhh thanks, I never knew that he got his site up, I remember reading about him possibly doing one when i watched one of his videos a few months ago.

It was actually Tonygayter that said he used Humbrol which first got me interested in them. That's what he's using in his swirls.

Yep, I think he mentioned using Humbrol in the description of one of his videos. I've spent all day trying to remember where I read that.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The best part is Humbrol paints are fairly cheap opposed to some of the other oil, acrylic, and enamel paints out there.

CptMcKay

Reaction score
The best part is Humbrol paints are fairly cheap opposed to some of the other oil, acrylic, and enamel paints out there.

Yeah, I had noticed that oil paints were insanely expensive, thank god I'm not an artist.

Would it be best to used matte or gloss Humbrol, or what?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I had noticed that oil paints were insanely expensive, thank god I'm not an artist.

Would it be best to used matte or gloss Humbrol, or what?

I didn't really notice much of a difference between the different sheens, you it's pretty much up to you as far as what you want it to look like.

CptMcKay

Reaction score
What kind of aerosol paint would be good for my basecoat, and whats a good primer?

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
Also check out the House of Kolor marblizer finish. It's pretty slick...I think KxK guitars uses it on some of their instruments.

')