Any tips for vocals?

• Thread starter Nik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
lachrymose said:
The most important steps in singing are learning to keep your larynx lowered, passing cleanly through the vocal brides (chest voice to mix voice, and mix voice to head voice) You know that part of your voice that sounds like your voice is breaking? you have to work on it a lot, singing through that range using sounds such as "nay nay nay" to teach your vocal chords to tighten up during the bridges. And what else... umm...... well I guess learning how to use your mix voice and differentiate between chest/mix/head/falsetto.

Larynx lowered? Like, I'm having a hard time singing from the chest, and doing all these things... when I've tried singing, I just sing loud, you know? Any tips on how to properly do this?

Anyway, I can't differentiate between chest/mix/head voices, but at least I know falsetto. It's that damn thing that my voice automatically goes into when I need to hit a high not, and it ends up sounding like crap :noplease:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lachrymose

Lacrimosa dies illa
Reaction score
put your finger on your throat and swallow and you'll feel the larynx lift up.

that's something to eventually overcome as it reduces the room for resonance in your throat, but you dont really need to focus on that at the moment.

Chest voice is probably misleading.. it's not so much coming from the chest as it is the chest that you're feeling the vibrations in. If you keeping raising your pitch you'll eventually feel the vibrations transfer from your sternum to the upper palate in your mouth. that's going from chest to head.

mix voice is a combination of the two that's hard to describe. It sort of has the power of chest, yet the more piercing tone of your upper palate. It sounds really powerful when the singer really isn't putting in as much effort as is thought.

a simple exercise you might want to try is humming from as low as possible then bending up to the highest note then back down, trying to get a smooth motion. it sounds really stupid but an even better exercise is doing the same thing but with lip rolls, kind of pouting your lips and going "Brrrr". It subconsciously distracts you from focussing on vowel notes and just lets you glide through your register.

Other then that, if you play around with your guitar/keyboard and try sing the same scales, trying singing words like "no no no" or "nay nay nay" or "me me me" or "mum mum mum" before you just try to sing vowels. the consonant infront of them teaches your vocal chords to tighten up when going through your bridges.

just remember the cardinal rule, if it feels uncomfortable you're probably doing it wrong.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

One very last question: Any tips for doing Linkin-Park-style screaming (like, it's screaming, but you're still singing actual notes and not just going all-out...)?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I do a lot of diaphragm singing. As I raise my pitch, I try to stay in my diaphragm. I used to do a lot of Bon Scott-era AC/DC with this method. I think I got fairly good at it, or I at least was pathetic enough to gey a lot of compliments.

As far as singing half steps…well, I have a bit of an issue with that, because you'll never be singing chromatics. A singing voice should be a little out of tune with the guitar and a little out of tune with the just intonations of the ear- it should sit somewhere between the two, which are nearly the same for major and minor keys, but can become vastly different things when you get modal, which I assume you will be doing, Nik, from the style of music you're into.

If you want range, try going up and down scales until you are comfortable with what you hear. Make sure you do this over an in-tune chord!!!! Doing it over a chord makes sure you are in tune. Also, it's best to do this at different volume levels. Try pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff. Try doing it at different speeds as well. When you feel confident with ever major and minor scale at every volume and every speed, then you can try arpeggios if you want range, or go through modes if you want precision.

The key, as other members have pointed out, is confidence! If you are confident in what you are doing, it will speak to someone. Look at some of the most famous singers- Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, John Cougar Mellonhead, Tom Petty, Richard 'Ringo' Starrkey, etc. These guys are full of confidence! But listen to the musicality of each voice…scary, isn't it?

We can't all be Mike Patton, nor Russell Allen…so just don't be afraid to share your voice with the music you make and all will come into place. ;)

lachrymose

Lacrimosa dies illa
Reaction score
Nik said:
Thanks for the help!

One very last question: Any tips for doing Linkin-Park-style screaming (like, it's screaming, but you're still singing actual notes and not just going all-out...)?

distortion? :idea:

I don't really know what advice to give on yelling/screaming, because it can really fuck peoples voices up. those who do it best claim that it doesn't hurt at all though so there is definitely a technique to it. I think it's a combination of singing and growling. I only know people who do black metal vocals and that's a bit of a step up from LP.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
lachrymose said:

I don't really know what advice to give on yelling/screaming, because it can really fuck peoples voices up. those who do it best claim that it doesn't hurt at all though so there is definitely a technique to it. I think it's a combination of singing and growling. I only know people who do black metal vocals and that's a bit of a step up from LP.

thats very frigin true, which is one of the reasons i don't try to yell/scream too much. I believe as i keep singing and doing the occassional scream/yell one day it'll just click and i'll be able to do it pain free! You know someone that can do a yell/scream properly. You listen to someone like corey taylor (especially iowa or stone sours first album) or phil anselmo you can tell they're yelling and screaming with a technique that doesn't really hurt them! Even Jonanthan davis of korn can pull of a few good roars and stuff, like on take a look in the mirror he does a fair decent ones. Then you make note, that these musicians had singing lessons, and compare to someone like kurt cobain or chino from deftones, who just scream and yell! though i really really love kurts voice all over! you can tell its not very healthy lol. In other words, get a few singing lessons :hbang: I am gonna do some more soon ay.

lachrymose

Lacrimosa dies illa
Reaction score
Jachop said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JdVcKuYtMRk

As this lady explains that raspy, nasal metal voice (heat she calls it) isn't actually singing, it's more like screaming. Check out that video and you might get some ideas on how to approach it, I know I did.

that's quite interesting. if i wasn't such a cheapass i'd possibly even buy her DVD.

not just for screamers, seems she has some good ideas for working on your own tonality and programming your brain to hear notes before singing them instead of bending and searching for 'that' note.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Jachop said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JdVcKuYtMRk

As this lady explains that raspy, nasal metal voice (heat she calls it) isn't actually singing, it's more like screaming. Check out that video and you might get some ideas on how to approach it, I know I did.

hahaha, weird, weird video--but really helpful, nonetheless. Thanks! :hbang:

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
lachrymose said:

I spent the last two years learning to sing with my previous project because I got p*ssed off with vocalists who couldn't cut it. While I think i got pretty good, I never really reached my full potential unfortunately due to the lack of practice caused by other band-members not pulling their weight, but I know I could have done.

I think so much of it is down to confidence, I built myself a load of sound-proofing in the shed of my old house and used to go and practice in a routine of three days, progressively pushing my voice harder each day, then one or two days break. Building your vocal chords is like building any other muscle in your body, build gradually, push harder and then let them recover to strengthen.

Everything everyone here has posted is all good. I think the way you have to view everything is as a progression. Learn to feel comfortable with what you're doing, practice and practice and practice, and as your range expands and your power increases you'll find that you can really push your voice a lot harder.

If you want to scream, you'll find that you need to have mastered the basic techniques and feel comfortable with your voice. Basically with distortion, all that your doing is driving your vocals chords so hard that the sound they produce breaks up. But, and this is ABSOLUTELY key, you are driving them that hard from the amount of power you're pushing out, you absolutely must not try and get that sound from your throat itself.

Unfortunately, it's one of those really hard thing to describe how to do properly and it's really something that you'll have to feel out for yourself, but if you've already got a good handle on singing in general, then you'll be able to feel your way round it and you'll know when you're doing it right.

Oh yeah, and ALWAYS warm up before you sing. On your way to practice, hum to yourself to get your vocal chords moving, and the first few songs that you do, really ease yourself into it. You shouldn't only start hitting your full potential by about 3/4 songs into a session unless you've taken the time to warm up beforehand.

I used to feel really stupid at gigs when I would go to the bathroom 20 minutes before we played and start to sing. Some of the looks I used to get when I walked back into the bar and everyone in the entire place could hear me screaming my bollocks off were classic. Never heard another vocalist warm up, which is worrying.

Reactions: Nik

Jachop

tihi =)
Reaction score
Nik said:
hahaha, weird, weird video--but really helpful, nonetheless. Thanks! :hbang:

Definently, she seem to know what she's doing. I have to get that dvd eventually.

You're welcome dude! :metal:

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
I'm a lead vocalist, In fact I am mainly a vocalist over guitar. Ask me anything! Also, I specialize in screaming vocals. \M/

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Thanks, really useful stuff!

drshock said:
I'm a lead vocalist, In fact I am mainly a vocalist over guitar. Ask me anything! Also, I specialize in screaming vocals. \M/

I've gathered loads of useful info I need to process, but I will ask this:

1.) Is there any other way to practice singing loud (other than soundproofing) without feeling like a weirdo?

2.) Right now I'm just practicing the techniques in this thread while driving in my car, singing along with my music at a really loud volume. This probably amounts to about an hour of practice a week, maybe less. Is this sufficient, or do I need to start putting in more effort?

Cause I'm already feeling a bit better at singing :yesway:

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
Singing in the car can help, but while you are driving 30-55 mph your lungs cant hold out notes as long as you can while sitting or standing. I think it wouldnt hurt to put a little more practice in, my vocal lessons were only about 30 mins long and after them I would practice for about 15 mins. I only had them once a week for about 9 months and I turned out good. As for singing louder try laying down for 15 mins a day for about a week or so with a phone book on your stomach and try to push it up while you breathe. This will get you naturally breathing from your diapragm(sp). Once you learn to use your diapragm to push out notes rather than your throat so much, you will become louder and generally have more tone. Also, a few more random tips: If you are sick lozinges and candy may feel good going down your throat but the only real way to repair your voice is to not use it at all. Egg white and lemon juice can help soothe the throat as well but it wont repair it. If you have something like allergies in your throat, drink plenty of water and be as vocal as possible(singing) It's the fastest way to make your throat clear up.

lachrymose

Lacrimosa dies illa
Reaction score
Nik said:
Thanks, really useful stuff!

I've gathered loads of useful info I need to process, but I will ask this:

1.) Is there any other way to practice singing loud (other than soundproofing) without feeling like a weirdo?

2.) Right now I'm just practicing the techniques in this thread while driving in my car, singing along with my music at a really loud volume. This probably amounts to about an hour of practice a week, maybe less. Is this sufficient, or do I need to start putting in more effort?

Cause I'm already feeling a bit better at singing :yesway:

dude if you jump on emule you can find the uhh.. training CD for that previously mentioned screaming thing. its the sort of thing you can do whilst in the car and is far more beneficial then screaming your lungs out. its not so much screaming as it is vocal exercises, but once you have them down pat, you can begin to introduce the elements that make a yell on pitch, then introduce the timbre that makes a yell distort or just plain become an industrial pitchless noise. that chick is quite good. although her exercises are VERY similar to most 'speach level' singing courses i've checked out. she just seems funner and less tightass about it..

i'm getting the contralto one at the moment because i'm looking for a blend of pseudo-classical and violent industrial moodswings. its the onyl real way to emote the shit that happens in my head. so i guess i'm going to have to scream and stop being such a timid little bitch.

drshock

Street-good guy
Reaction score
Are you talking about melissa cross? I know she teaches Randy Blythe from Lamb of God and Corey Taylor from Slipknot.

lachrymose

Lacrimosa dies illa
Reaction score
drshock said:
Are you talking about melissa cross? I know she teaches Randy Blythe from Lamb of God and Corey Taylor from Slipknot.

& about a billion others by the looks of it, actually the only person i recognised from the DVD was Melissa Auf der Maur

Black Watch

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for the late post on the topic, I will say up front that I am not fan of "cooking monster" vocals that seem to be all the rage in some circles. To be honest I suspect that this became in vogue because people feared they could not actually sing (they probably could).

First and most importantly is breathing. Most people know how to breath to keep oxygen in them, and thats a good thing. But to really sing you have to breath differently. That applies to both inhalation and exhalation. Just like in playing the guitar, you need to develop your "tone" in the voice. Some of it is what god gave you, some of it is what you make of it. For me I am more "opera man" than "screeching rocker". Them's the breaks. That being said, you might benefit from working with a vocal coach. They will give you a bunch of strange things to do and say / sing most likely. It's no different that practicing scales or fretboard drills, you do them. If you are going to sing frequently for performance lengths of time, you will need to condition your vocal chords to take it (they are like any other muscle group). So work your way up to it.

I was lucky that I got to take some vocal training in college and it has helped me a lot. Some of the earlier pointers are very good, so follow them as well. Specifically if you stick with working on your voice, you will find that it does change somewhat, and you will get "stronger".

Also of note: much of what you hear on recordings today is some function of the microphone used and the outboard effects processors. If you are serious about your voice you want to be as careful with how you set that up as you would be your guitar and amp.

')