Any Tosin abasi fan or ibanez TAM user?

• Thread starter hanachanmaru
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
Hi guys I been trying to get my 27" scale 8 string in the way how Tosin Abasi setup his 8 string...

however I find using the same set of string which I guess Mr Tosin did (0.10-0.74)

I still find the low E flabby... I have no idea if Tosin had a larger scale fret on his other guitar ie Strandberg or etc... but far as I know his Ibanez signature TAM is a 27" scale too with 0.10-0.74 on it?

do any TAM user find the low E still too flabby and it could have tighten up abit more by using a heavier string guage ie Daddrrio 0.76 or even 0.84?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
I would try a Kalium (circle K strings) .082. I go back and forth between F#, F and E on the 8th and this seems to be the the best compromise for me at 27".

I think I remember reading that the guys in Animals (or at least Javier) were running a .80 for E. Plenty of people get away with lighter by lightening up their pick attack. It's all about what works for you. Playing with a tension calculator like "stringulator" can be helpful as you experiment.

Edit: Just noticed your location, shipping for Kalium is probably very high, sorry. I would try the d'addario .080 if you can get it.

Ibanez RG7321

Reaction score
I have the RG8 setup with those exact strings tuned to drop D with no issues.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
If that is D1 your tension is 10 lbs, you must have a very precise and light touch with the pick.

Ibanez RG7321

Reaction score
If you are talking to me, nope lol Im not light when I hit the strings. It is kind of loose but its not as loose as a 25.5 would be though. Its a lot tighter than my 25.5. Im used to loose strings though and this is not as loose as I am used to. I wish the rest of them were a bit looser but I dont like bigger than a 10

JerichoCheng

Reaction score
i have the TAM with original tosin set which is 010-074 i think the sounds is really great enough,
i understand what u mean about for a bit "loose" but yes thats Tosin style & sounds and i guess maybe is better for the slapping,
so i think its just personal preference you may try for the thicker strings,

PS: ive ordered some circle k before shipping is not very expensive if u order a few tgt with your friends and share with it i think its worth that u may try and custom a lot of different tension and string gauge

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
Hey Singapore! Woot! Another ERG player! We should meet! :D

I order D'addario single strings from Strings and Beyond. Wait for free international shipping then buy the single .74 / .80 strings. Or if you can spend a bit more, get the NYXL series.

Strings and Beyond also stock the Ernie Ball 9 - 80 set - which could work for drop A and drop E.

A friend of mine went for the Tosin clinic by Swee Lee and he remarked that Tosin used drop A and drop E. Not sure if that's the latest news or a passing preference.

Or maybe we can order Circle K together... though they are expensive. It's much cheaper to buy a box of 7 string 10 - 59 from Davis and then purchase the additional string overseas.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
thanks alot guys i been intrigued by tosin wild chord voicing works and tappings.. the jazzy chord work
... yeah is not that bad on the low E but i wish if it be slightly tighter i wont have the problem of the loose low E string slipping off near the edge of my fretboard when doing chord works.. ya know Tosin chords are crazy barring across 8 strings with the 7th and etc which am learning...

thing is my guitar nut slots are actually set up for 0.10 -0.74...maybe i should try a 0.10 - 0.76 ? hope i won't have to need for nut setup for such changes...?

yup shredcow nice to see you here :)

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I recently bought a TAM10 and also had issues with the looseness of the 74. I tried to take advantage of the large bass ferrule by replacing the guitar 74 with a bass 80, but the hole in the tuning peg wasn't big enough. If you want to use an 80 or larger with it, you're going to have to either drill out the hole a little, or unwind the string a bit so it'll fit.

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
I actually have a set of DR Strings 10 - 75 and I really don't like them. Think I have 3 more sets.

If you want to try them out, just PM and I can pass them to you.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
I actually have a set of DR Strings 10 - 75 and I really don't like them. Think I have 3 more sets.

If you want to try them out, just PM and I can pass them to you.

hey cool !! how much you got them for ? what 8 stringer your playing ?

EchelonXIII

Reaction score
I really think the TAM models look amazing...but you're spending 3500 bucks for a piece of untreated BASSWOOD...one of the softest woods in the world. This means that if you bump it into something you'll get enormous dents instantly.

Meaning that you're guitar will only be like new for months(weeks?) in stead of years.

It irks me ;-;

')