Any Triaxis Users Still Here?

• Thread starter mcleanab
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a Mesa Boogie Triaxis...

The threads about them here seem to stop a while back...

Any current users on here?

Any particular reason I shouldn't get one?

I have my ISP Theta, which is a beast, but I'm looking for something to compliment it that is high quality and different. I've seen some youtube stuff, and I've seen the range the Triaxis has from super cleans to melt your face off gains.

I'd love to hear some current opinions (as opposed to 2007 thoughts!!)...

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I'm thinking that those who have had them are still using them but I think a lot of people have been going for Line 6 or Fractal processors instead due to the versatility and quality. 10 yrs ago, there wasn't a processor out there that could touch a TriAxis in terms of tone but since then modeling technology has been growing exponentially.

Granted, it's still a kick-ass pre amp but when you take the cost into consideration, for the same amount of money you can get other pre amps that are equally good tone wise but have a ton of other features as well.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Wow... does the line six stuff really compare sonically?? I can understand the Axe Fx doing so, but I haven't heard clips of the HD Pro that blow me away...

I'd love to hear others chime in!

Thanks!

(EDIT: I don't know that I would even use the effects on a Line 6! I have a Rocktron Xpression and a Lexicon MPX 500!)

Underworld

Reaction score
I used to own a Triaxis and my bandmate still owns one.... but for that kind of money I myself would go with an Axe-Fx (or an ENGL SE preamp). More options, more tones, and to be honest I was not found of the tones I got from the Triaxis, even with the matching 2:90 and Mesa cabinet.

The Triaxis sounded like crap with any other poweramp I tried, so if you are on a "budget" and can't afford a 2:90, you might be fucked.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I used to own a Triaxis and my bandmate still owns one.... but for that kind of money I myself would go with an Axe-Fx (or an ENGL SE preamp). More options, more tones, and to be honest I was not found of the tones I got from the Triaxis, even with the matching 2:90 and Mesa cabinet.

The Triaxis sounded like crap with any other poweramp I tried, so if you are on a "budget" and can't afford a 2:90, you might be fucked.

Ha! I'm in no hurry, so "fucked" I won't be... but thanks!

I would be doing mostly direct recording either via the Xpression (which the ISP Theta sounds killer through and killer by itself and it's on board cab sim) or direct through the Triaxis on board cab sim...

Can anyone speak to that part of the Triaxis? The direct recording via the built in cab sims? (Every you tube vid I find is direct using impulses for cabs).

Thanks again! Keep bringing it!

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Oh yeah... forgot to mention:

If I don't go for a Triaxis, I'd do the Engl E530 Preamp.

What say you?

Underworld

Reaction score
I would be doing mostly direct recording either via the Xpression (which the ISP Theta sounds killer through and killer by itself and it's on board cab sim) or direct through the Triaxis on board cab sim...

Can anyone speak to that part of the Triaxis?

Probably the worst thing on the Tri. Unusable.

wlfers

Reaction score
I didn't like the frequency compensated outputs on either the 530/570. I wouldn't consider them viable options for cab emulation- they sound much better direct with impulses.

I'd recommend saving up a little more and getting the 570, I've seen a few go for a good price used on ebay in the last month.

jlagoon

Reaction score
I still have my Triaxis with VHT2502. I have progressed from big rack setup to just using the GSP1101. The TriAxis has great clean sound, and tricky distortion sound to dial. If you like Mesa Mark sound, and need MIDI, then get the TriAxis.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Thanks for the tidbit of info...

It confirms what my research is telling me... it seems like an excellent unit, and some of the demos on youtube are incredibly informative and the range of sounds seems huge with the Triaxis...

But... I've been moving away from programming (even though the interface on the Triaxis is simple) and I think a better compliment for the tones I'm looking for would be the Engl e530... and the simplicity of just turning a knob is appealing (I was reading the HD Pro thread about the new Plexi model as I was wailing through my ISP Theta... reached over, turned a couple of knobs, and had something comparable.... just don't want to program anymore...)

I really looked into the Mako Mak 4 preamp as well, and it's probably a good thing that they aren't currently in production (Andrew seems very cool, by the way) or I would have pulled the trigger on it then and there...

Ugh... what a rough life we have, eh? To have these types of problems... an Engl, a Triaxis or a Mak 4? Woe is me...

Randomist

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother using built in cab sims in general. Chances are you can get better results using impulses such as the guitarhacks free impulses or redwires through a free impulse loader like lecab2.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother using built in cab sims in general. Chances are you can get better results using impulses such as the guitarhacks free impulses or redwires through a free impulse loader like lecab2.

From all of the Engl youtube vids, I have no doubt. However, I can't/don't want to play through my computer, and I don't have a unit that can use VST/Impulses like an Axe-Fx or a GSP1101... cab sims it is!

')