Any TV nerds among us?

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Looking to buy a TV for Black Friday.

Trying to find the best TV for a small budget. The question I have is regarding refresh rate. I see that most companies are basically lying about theirs. Claiming 120hz but using buzzwords like True Motion for example when in reality they're 60hz.

Is there an actual 4k TV that has a true 120hz refresh rate on a budget?

Is there even a noticeable difference between 60 and 120, I know on a small gaming monitor there is.

Ideally I would love a 50" - 65" 4K Roku TV with 120hz for under $600 :p

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't know that I would look for high refresh rates to watch TV / movies on. For games, I'm all for it, but most filmed content is still ~24fps and any kind of frame interpolation usually looks worse rather than better, IMO. I think if you drop the frame rate part, you could probably find something pretty easy.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Yeah some TV’s with really high rates look “uncanny” if you’re not far away. So if your living room has you sitting within 10-15 feet of the TV just get the size/screen that looks best in your budget.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
So long as you turn off motion smoothing or whatever each manufacturer chooses to call it, they'll all look good after a certain price point.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
So long as you turn off motion smoothing or whatever each manufacturer chooses to call it, they'll all look good after a certain price point.

Yeah, if you don't turn features like that off, everything you watch ends up looking like a soap opera. Really terrible, actually lol

wankerness

Reaction score
Sharpening is another big one that can create huge problems. It's usually buried in the settings, too. A couple movies I played on blu-ray before I realized that setting was on ended up with crazy white snow all over everything cause the TV was attempting to sharpen the edges of the grain to make it more visible :D Mulholland Dr was one, which isn't even old.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm sure you bought one already, but I just wanted to chime in. There's this specific model of TCL that Best Buy has exclusive rights to - a 55" 6 Series 4K tv, that sells for obscenely cheap (500 bucks) and seems to regularly get "best value for money" labels everywhere. I just got one yesterday after my 7 year old plasma up and blew a fuse on the board (I'm surprised it lasted that long). It looks good. The remote is utter garbage, but I'm just hooking up a receiver to one input and have like 3 other devices that have all the streaming apps on them anyway, so I really couldn't care less about the "smart" functions. It looks quite good, if maybe a bit overly contrasty and bright, but that looks perfect for most people that aren't big into trashy 70s movies.

Latest posts