Any users of Chris Broderick's pick clip willing to give thoughts?

• Thread starter Boss302
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boss302

Reaction score
Title says it all. I'd like to know exactly why you do/don't like it.

I ordered one yesterday and was promptly told they are backordered in right handed clips, and won't be shipping out till next month. And I don't even know if mine will be in that batch. So give me something to look forward to!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
They are pretty cool, but it feels kinda odd on my thumb. I've started using the Dunlop thumbpicks (molded celluoid) so maybe if I was starting fresh, it would of worked better for me. Already comfortable with molded thumbpicks (2 years of work into changing my technique) - It's a great idea if you have a flat pick you really love. I'm going to experiment with it more in the future, but right now my new #1 is a Golden Gate Xtra Large Pearloid, shaved down significantly (Its the thickest molded thumbpick available anywhere, around 1.5mm)

Worth the price though. And thumbpicks are the best IMO. I gave away all my flatpicks.

ascl

Reaction score
I don't like it, it messes with the my ability to play artificial harmonics (which is probably due to how I hold the pick, YMMV, etc etc).

Bottom line, seems like a great idea, and seems to work well for some people... but not for me :-/

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan. I tend to change the way I grip the pick a lot, and this hinders my ability to do so - I'm stuck in one position, which is one conducive to really fast playing, but not that much to really chunky rhythm playing, which is what most of my playing is.

Honestly, it's just one of those things you have to try for yourself before deciding if it works for you or not.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
as with any thumbpick, it will change your pick angle/how you hold it and everything. It takes time to adjust, for me it took over a year until I felt comfortable again, but it was well worth it. Pinch Harmonics are much more difficult, but if you work on it, its possible. I can do them with 95% consistency now with any thumbpick.

Anyways, its a journey to play a thumbpick, for me being a more jazz guy who plays lots of the Drop/Comping voicings, a thumbpick just makes sense.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I couldn't get it to hold my picks right, but I think I was trying it with 1.14 Ultex picks. It would probably work better with something like a .80 Tortex pick. IIRC, though, it holds the picks in place with three little teeth that dig into the pick. There's probably a more effective way to do that. So all in all, it's a neat device if you frequently and quickly go between picking and tapping, but it doesn't work for every pick, and you may or may not even find it comfortable.

Boss302

Reaction score
It takes time to adjust, for me it took over a year until I felt comfortable again, but it was well worth it.

Wow, a year? Have you actually used Chris'? I ask because its supposed to be different than others. I'm hoping that because I play a lot of Megadeth songs and just stuff in that style, this will be a great benefit. I want to learn 8 finger tapping, which this will open the door to. Also, my hybrid picking doesn't feel comfortable, especially on a song like Cliffs of Dover. I feel like being able to use my index finger would make things easier.

Boss302

Reaction score
I couldn't get it to hold my picks right, but I think I was trying it with 1.14 Ultex picks. It would probably work better with something like a .80 Tortex pick. IIRC, though, it holds the picks in place with three little teeth that dig into the pick. There's probably a more effective way to do that. So all in all, it's a neat device if you frequently and quickly go between picking and tapping, but it doesn't work for every pick, and you may or may not even find it comfortable.

Uh oh.. I bought some 1.5mm Tortex sharps and hoped to use them with it. I do have some Ernie Ball Everlast picks that are .88mm I believe.

Rich5150

Reaction score
Seeing as Chris himself uses 1.5mm picks I would think it wouldn't be a problem. I have his pick clip and have used 2.0 mm picks in it no problem. To me though it's just uncomfortable so it went in my pick case.

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
I`ve been wanting one for a long time since they came out,but after reading all the reviews I guess I didn`t miss much.

Boss302

Reaction score
Seeing as Chris himself uses 1.5mm picks I would think it wouldn't be a problem. I have his pick clip and have used 2.0 mm picks in it no problem. To me though it's just uncomfortable so it went in my pick case.

Do you not want to sell it? I'd be happy to free up that space for you at a good price!

Boss302

Reaction score

J7string

Reaction score
I feel the same way as a few others... It's a fantastic idea, but it's not for everyone seeing as how everyone has their own unique style of playing. But if you love two hand tapping and want nothing to keep you from transitioning from flat picking to tapping, by all means, give one a try!

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Wow, a year? Have you actually used Chris'? I ask because its supposed to be different than others. I'm hoping that because I play a lot of Megadeth songs and just stuff in that style, this will be a great benefit. I want to learn 8 finger tapping, which this will open the door to. Also, my hybrid picking doesn't feel comfortable, especially on a song like Cliffs of Dover. I feel like being able to use my index finger would make things easier.

When I say over a year, I mean to get my technique 100% to where it was before the thumbpick.. Within 5 minutes, I could use the thumbpick to do normal things, it just wasn't as smooth and fluid until I spent a LOT of time with it. You shouldn't expect to be able to play your absolute fastest shred licks in the first 5 minutes of using one.

I have Chris's clip, and one of his personal thicker megadeth picks (along with his signature from buying them) - I prefer the Golden Gate Xtra Heavy thumbpicks shaved down significantly. Theres not a huge difference between them other than the Broderick clip can hold whatever flat pick you like, so you can use a better pick material. The issue is, I find the clip gets in the way sometimes, where the molded plastic picks are a tight fit.

fatalfable

Reaction score
lots of bad reviews here. bummer. ive had mine for a while and i think its amazing. you can hold the pick light as a feather and its corrected a lot about my picking. when you first get it, pinch harmonics are almost impossible. after about two weeks they just started happening and now its natural. i tap a lot so it just works so well.

4Eyes

Reaction score
I've got it in the batch of first 600 and used it for almost a year. it's nice that it'll give you one free finger on your right hand, but for tapping I got used to use my middle finger and I'm not virtuoso, so one finger for tapping is more than enough. I also don't use finger style picking, so there aren't lot of benefits for me to use it. and I feel that I can hold my pick a touch a bit more naturally without pick clip. pinch harmonics weren't issue

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
i hated it. Doesnt work at all for the way i hold my pick and play guitar. Some love it, to each his own.

')