Any users of the signature Fishman Fluence line? (Devin, Abasi, KsE, etc)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I will say judging by that video, the 2nd voicing of the Moderns seem heavily inspired by the L500XL. It reminds me of the L500XL I owned in the past; a chunky low end, and a VERY bright and aggressive high end. Very twangy.

And I like how they sound there. Sounding like either the KsEs are the Abasis are what I want.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I will say judging by that video, the 2nd voicing of the Moderns seem heavily inspired by the L500XL. It reminds me of the L500XL I owned in the past; a chunky low end, and a VERY bright and aggressive high end. Very twangy.

And I like how they sound there. Sounding like either the KsEs are the Abasis are what I want.
yeah the KSE set has me intrigued but I really need to test the moderns I have first. From what I've read it sounds like voice 2 of the moderns is going to be my go to setting, I love thick devy/pelican/mastodon wall of sound esque tones

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
yeah the KSE set has me intrigued but I really need to test the moderns I have first. From what I've read it sounds like voice 2 of the moderns is going to be my go to setting, I love thick devy/pelican/mastodon wall of sound esque tones

It's definitely thick. :lol: Not a lot of midrange compared to voice one, but it's huge sounding. Lots of chunk and bite.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Has anybody tried V2 of the modern through solid state amps? i find it weird that it sounds like it's too fat and there's this twangy fuzz on the bass even if I turn down the bass knob on my Boss Katana or Randall RG.

Playing V2 through my 6505+ and 6505MH seems to even out and compress the low end which sounds way better. Still twangy but more mushy.

I was hoping V2 would sound closer to my EMG JH.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Has anybody tried V2 of the modern through solid state amps? i find it weird that it sounds like it's too fat and there's this twangy fuzz on the bass even if I turn down the bass knob on my Boss Katana or Randall RG.

Playing V2 through my 6505+ and 6505MH seems to even out and compress the low end which sounds way better. Still twangy but more mushy.

I was hoping V2 would sound closer to my EMG JH.

I'll try it through my Ibby TBX later when I get the chance. I play through preamp pedals (solid state ones), and so far no issues.

Strobe

Reaction score
HwmWXThm.jpg

A9wZjldm.jpg

I just put the Tosin Abasi 6 string set in my SG - they really are quite excellent. I would describe voice 1 as being really similar to the moderns, but with more mids - it makes them really punch. It makes them cut through a lot on solos. They still have a lot of clarity like all the Fishmans. Comparing them to EMG's, the mid peak is lower than the 81, the top end is a little brighter (EMG's sound kind of smooth and rounded in the top end to me).

I am still trying to figure out how to describe voice 2 - not enough time on it yet. They sound like passives of the medium output variety - definitely lower output than voice 1. The attack is softer. The bridge in V2 is not that far off in sound and feel from the Gibson 498T I had in the bridge before.

Voice 3 is the single coil voicing, and the bridge is a bright, somewhat scooped single coil sound with a moderate to high single coil output (but still lower output than either V1/V2). There is some hum, but it's less noisy than a passive single coil. The neck pickup also sounds single coil like, but in my SG definitely a little darker and rounder than most strat necks - but that is still probably the closest approximation.

They're great overall. If I had one complaint to make, it would be that the range of the tone control is a little more subtle than I would prefer - it feels like rolling off does not take off a lot of top end, but that's a pretty minor complaint. Every one of these Fluence sets I have tried have sounded very, very good.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Awesome to see some impressions on the Tosins. Surprised they sound middier than the standard Moderns which sound pretty mid range heavy on their own.

Just need some impresssions on the KsE set.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
This might be a lot to ask but could anybody with fishmans post some DI soundclips with the different voicings? I'd love to run it through my amp sim and compare with my stuff.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yup, that's how I hear the moderns in my guitar. Voice 1 is tighter and midrangier. Voice 2 is scooped and fatter. Works amazingly for cleans on voice 2.

Really digging the Abasis. I may have to get those for my Explorer. I have another Mark Tremonti guitar on the way that I wanna put the KsE set in since it'll be a drop C# chuggachugga getar.

0rimus

Reaction score
I've had Tosin's set in my main 7 string guitar for a couple months now and I love them. I wrote a riff that actually requires it be played on the neck pickup, doesn't sound right on the bridge.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Just keeping track of online reviews, this one compares current Fishman 8-string offerings, Modern, Stephen Carpenter's, and Tosin's, here:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Are they making or going to make passive sized 8's? Every 8 I'm looking at has that type of pickup/route.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Are they making or going to make passive sized 8's? Every 8 I'm looking at has that type of pickup/route.
frank falbo said they were looking into making passive sized 8s a while ago, though he didn't have a solid timeframe on when they'd be available.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Piggybacking here, has anyone tried the Stef Carpenter ones? What Ken Susi has to say about them sounds good and all, but I can't find a high quality demo anywhere.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Piggybacking here, has anyone tried the Stef Carpenter ones? What Ken Susi has to say about them sounds good and all, but I can't find a high quality demo anywhere.
did you watch the vid posted a couple posts up? they test the carpenters in there, and even have DIs of them.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Call me a hypebeast, but is the safe bet that Nergal is using Moderns?

He’s getting some pretty sick tone on his insta stories, with that Fishman loaded Hex.

')