Any users of the signature Fishman Fluence line? (Devin, Abasi, KsE, etc)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
unless fishman gave him some sigs I would bet he's using the moderns.

What I was thinking. Doubt he’d be using a sig set but who knows? I’ve got no idea how you’d Nergalize some actives in a way that neither the moderns or the tighter KSE ones don’t cover.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
The stephs are the worse pickup fishman makes. Wayy too much bass.
Yup, that's what I gathered. At this point I'm settled on just getting the moderns, they're basically like the EMG 81/85 but better in every imaginable way. The Tosin set sounds cool too, but I don't like them nearly as much as the moderns, aside from the single coil tone

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
For those of you who have done the install, does the modern set come with all the wires to go between the pots, the selector switch and the output jack? I see the jumpers from pickup to pot but didn’t see all the other wires in the kit. Thanks!

Strobe

Reaction score
For those of you who have done the install, does the modern set come with all the wires to go between the pots, the selector switch and the output jack? I see the jumpers from pickup to pot but didn’t see all the other wires in the kit. Thanks!

You will probably want some extra wire. It comes with a bit of spare wire, but barely enough in my experience.

lewis

Reaction score
Yup, that's what I gathered. At this point I'm settled on just getting the moderns, they're basically like the EMG 81/85 but better in every imaginable way. The Tosin set sounds cool too, but I don't like them nearly as much as the moderns, aside from the single coil tone

haha Marketing hype working as hoped.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
haha Marketing hype working as hoped.
Not all hype. The main voicing, from the clips I've heard and the DIs I've reamped sound more or less like the 81/85, but the low end is tighter, the mids aren't as quacky, the highs are smoother, and they have a second voicing for more versatility. Seems like a tangible improvement in all areas to me.

lewis

Reaction score
Not all hype. The main voicing, from the clips I've heard and the DIs I've reamped sound more or less like the 81/85, but the low end is tighter, the mids aren't as quacky, the highs are smoother, and they have a second voicing for more versatility. Seems like a tangible improvement in all areas to me.
I get that but other than tight low end, which seems everyone wants, the rest is entirely subjective.
For example loads may want quacky mids for "djent" and smooth highs dont appeal to my tastes.

My point is its a tonal improvement in your opinion. Maybe when Fishman have the sales and longevity of EMGs pickup line with these moderns, espcially the 81, we can perhaps say they are better.
Until then i just think its honeymoon phase bandwagon hype.

Put a graphic eq infront of your amp and voilla you can get the difference you described.

Lukhas

Reaction score
Maybe when Fishman have the sales and longevity of EMGs pickup line with these moderns, espcially the 81, we can perhaps say they are better.
Longevity and sales won't do much to "prove" whether it's better for one's sound or not; something which, as you said, is an opinion. For example, I recall the SH-13 still being on sale. :lol:
Put a graphic eq infront of your amp and voilla you can get the difference you described.
I don't recall most graphic EQs to be free either. Then you could wonder why you'd put an extra pedal in front of the amp if you can get what you want without it. Of course it's an opinion, like any and every post in this thread. If they can hear it, no need to rain on the parade and call it "marketing hype" or whatnot: after all, it's not as if they hadn't played them at all and were chilling them just for the sake of it, which would be worth calling out.

lewis

Reaction score
Longevity and sales won't do much to "prove" whether it's better for one's sound or not; something which, as you said, is an opinion. For example, I recall the SH-13 still being on sale. :lol:

I don't recall most graphic EQs to be free either. Then you could wonder why you'd put an extra pedal in front of the amp if you can get what you want without it. Of course it's an opinion, like any and every post in this thread. If they can hear it, no need to rain on the parade and call it "marketing hype" or whatnot: after all, it's not as if they hadn't played them at all and were chilling them just for the sake of it, which would be worth calling out.

You must admit though that everyone was saying this about the Lace pickups until after a while their novelty wore off and everyone either admitted they were average/terrible, or jumped onto the next hyped product anyway because thats how they roll.

There has been so many examples of this that obviously, Im sceptical about it. I was one that bought lace pickups based off the immense hype and artists I saw jump on that wagon. I got them, gigged them, stopped liking them and then hating them and then a few months afterwards everyone had stopped using them and moved on leaving me abit bitter about it.

I tend to gravitate towards the tried and tested products now that after years and years, are still used and rated.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I get that but other than tight low end, which seems everyone wants, the rest is entirely subjective.
For example loads may want quacky mids for "djent" and smooth highs dont appeal to my tastes.

My point is its a tonal improvement in your opinion. Maybe when Fishman have the sales and longevity of EMGs pickup line with these moderns, espcially the 81, we can perhaps say they are better.
Until then i just think its honeymoon phase bandwagon hype.

Yeah because 2years of sales and fucktons of artists jumping ship for fishman, plus glowing consumer reviews mean nothing. Devin,ken susi, and steph were all longtime emg users iirc so it's not like the hype is unwarranted.

Lukhas

Reaction score
You must admit though that everyone was saying this about the Lace pickups until after a while their novelty wore off and everyone either admitted they were average/terrible, or jumped onto the next hyped product anyway because thats how they roll.

There has been so many examples of this that obviously, Im sceptical about it. I was one that bought lace pickups based off the immense hype and artists I saw jump on that wagon. I got them, gigged them, stopped liking them and then hating them and then a few months afterwards everyone had stopped using them and moved on leaving me abit bitter about it.

I tend to gravitate towards the tried and tested products now that after years and years, are still used and rated.
To me that's exactly what the 81 is. :lol: Even if I do enjoy the music of a few artists who used them I find them very average. I can see why people like it and why others jumped on the Blackout/57/66 (band)wagon thereafter, to the point it almost went full circle and people are back to passives or to more passive flavoured pickups. It's cyclical to me. It's fine to be sceptical and I am since it shouldn't be that hard to make a better pup than the 81 (yeah, if it wasn't transparent enough I do not like the 81 nor the 60), but that's different from assuming it's a fad just because people flock to it. So while I'm not sure about what it sounds like, I'm going to assume the Fishman do bring something different to the table because there are objectively constructed differently. I don't think it's fair to dismiss them as an EQ'd 81.

EDIT: Also, the Lace were popular mostly for the noise cancelling issues. That's not what the Fishman are popular for, so there might be some correlation but the situations aren't exactly similar either.

Last edited:

Strobe

Reaction score

I never got real excited about the lace pickups. They sounded different, and variety is excellent, but it was not the tone I was seeking. My favorites are the fluence pickups (Classics, Tosins, then moderns in that order - have not played Adlers yet though). That said, as you have said before, just because they're my favorites doesn't mean that other options suck. I still love EMG's. I have a V that they are never coming out of - and its' for the same reason that I have a telecaster with some flavor of nocaster pickups - they have a distinctive sound, sometimes I want *that* sound, and it's awesome. Just because something got incrementally closer to my ideal doesn't mean that all the tones I used to love from my 81's don't sound great and sit in a mix. Most of the pickups that have been around a long time have something great about them (notable exception: Dimebuckers - I know we miss Darrell, but his tone for most of his career was hideous and those pickups are true to form).

marcwormjim

Reaction score
Also, the Lace were popular mostly for the noise cancelling issues. That's not what the Fishman are popular for, so there might be some correlation but the situations aren't exactly similar either.

The trends say more for the gullibility of this community than they do for the quality of either product. The detail of whether the magic underwear is in fact magic or not is a small one compared to the matter of the intended consumer base exclusively identifying as Mormon.

Like, I bought an Axe FX because I visit other sites - If I only knew the product from eight years of hype on this board, I would think it’s a $3,000 piece of gear that only models a 5150. But that’s precisely what many on this site use it for.

')