Any users of the signature Fishman Fluence line? (Devin, Abasi, KsE, etc)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I finally got to install the Tosin Abasi set in my 6 string Jackson Soloist. Against the Moderns, V1 has more body with the tone and chugs. It has more low mids and a bit of rounded bass response compared to the tight response of the V1 modern. It still has that high mids and nice treble of the moderns.

V2 on the Tosin is like a mix between a Gibson 57 and his Ionizer or a comparable Bareknuckle. A bit lower gain but it has a snarl in the high mids. It's almost like V2 on the classics but with a bit less gain.

V3 is the single coil voice which is VERY NICE. Scooped and crystal clear in the bridge and tele like on the neck position. I love it. Made the guitar totally versatile.

Love it more than the moderns.

26239833_10211823116758785_7713767473993119775_n.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
HMMM, sounds very tempting. I'm super debating on the KsE or Abasi for my newly-acquired LTD AS-1. I won't mind the increased low-end response because I'm tuned to standard/drop D anyway.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The single coil tones sold me to it, to be honest. I still love the focus of the moderns.

I dont know if the single coil mode is the same with the KSE set.
I imagine not. Tosin uses single coil sounds a lot more than Killswitch. And me :lol:

All I care about are the 2 bucker voicings. The pickups are going into a huge slab of mahogany, so I need quite a bit of tightness.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I imagine not. Tosin uses single coil sounds a lot more than Killswitch. And me :lol:

All I care about are the 2 bucker voicings. The pickups are going into a huge slab of mahogany, so I need quite a bit of tightness.

Maybe the KSE or the moderns will suit you just better. I can hear how this Tosin set won't go well with a dark slab of mahogany. Maybe with brighter, thinner mahogany guitars, this would be ok. V1 on the Tosin is very different from the Moderns and the KSE.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Just installed a Modern set into my MH1000NT. the hype is real y'all!! I use 2 vol only no tone(both the push/pull pot included) 1 for V1/V2 the other for the HF Tilt. I uses a a 5 way superswitch to split the buckers. Single coil tones are so glassy clean, especially the inner coils.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Well, I put a pre-order down for the New Ibanez Iron Label RGD 7 (laser blue), Anyone want to tell me how much a headache I'm going to have trying to fit a set of the regular 7 string humbucker sized moderns in those cavities? Some routing possibly required?

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Well, I put a pre-order down for the New Ibanez Iron Label RGD 7 (laser blue), Anyone want to tell me how much a headache I'm going to have trying to fit a set of the regular 7 string humbucker sized moderns in those cavities? Some routing possibly required?
Looks like the corners of the routes are rounded so no covered pick ups are going in without routing ie, the fishmans. The pick up legs also can't be ground down on the fishmans because they are plastic with a screw hole glued in and not metal so you'd have to square off the pick up leg routes in the body. So TBH, quite a bit of extra routing. This also doesn't include any possible deepening of the pick up cavity which just from pictures of the guitar I wouldn't be able to tell

Curt

Reaction score
Looks like the corners of the routes are rounded so no covered pick ups are going in without routing ie, the fishmans. The pick up legs also can't be ground down on the fishmans because they are plastic with a screw hole glued in and not metal so you'd have to square off the pick up leg routes in the body. So TBH, quite a bit of extra routing. This also doesn't include any possible deepening of the pick up cavity which just from pictures of the guitar I wouldn't be able to tell
I figured as much. Wondering if said headache would even be worth it, or if I should just spend the extra $40-60 or so and get a set of BKPs for it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Do you know any techs or anyone good with working? Would probably cost that much to get the corners routed.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Maybe the KSE or the moderns will suit you just better. I can hear how this Tosin set won't go well with a dark slab of mahogany. Maybe with brighter, thinner mahogany guitars, this would be ok. V1 on the Tosin is very different from the Moderns and the KSE.

Without getting into a tone-wood debate, IME, mahogany has never been that dark, actually my darkest sound guitar was a basswood RG from '98, but ymmv. I have the Tosin fluences in my mahogany RG8 and they sound great.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Without getting into a tone-wood debate, IME, mahogany has never been that dark, actually my darkest sound guitar was a basswood RG from '98, but ymmv. I have the Tosin fluences in my mahogany RG8 and they sound great.

All of the all-mahogany guitars I've dealt with have been pretty dark. Epiphone 1984 Explorer, Schecter E-1 Standard, and now my LTD AS-1. The AS-1 has been the snappiest of the all-mahogany guitars I've tried because of the maple cap, it seems.

I have mahogany guitars that are pretty snappy, IE my two Tremonti Customs, but they have maple necks and a 1/4'' solid maple cap.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Watched the vid....I think it’s hysterical that they label sig pickups ‘good’ or ‘bad’....it’s a fuckin SIGNATURE PICKUP, it’s supposed to sound like the guys whose name is on it wanted it to sound, not perfect for EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET.

I grabbed the DIs for the SRC pups, reamped em with ReAxis and they sound pretty good to my ears.

Made me paranoid for a minute cause I ordered the SC607B, and I was freaking out a bit that they were gonna suck ass. Still can’t find any good demos of the 7s tho....anyone got one?

Curt

Reaction score
Watched the vid....I think it’s hysterical that they label sig pickups ‘good’ or ‘bad’....it’s a fuckin SIGNATURE PICKUP, it’s supposed to sound like the guys whose name is on it wanted it to sound, not perfect for EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET.

I grabbed the DIs for the SRC pups, reamped em with ReAxis and they sound pretty good to my ears.

Made me paranoid for a minute cause I ordered the SC607B, and I was freaking out a bit that they were gonna suck ass. Still can’t find any good demos of the 7s tho....anyone got one?
I definitely have to say that while I wouldn't care for them through my own rig for my own sound, I'm sure they are exactly what Stef himself wanted out of a pickup, and they don't sound bad to my ears, either.
Do you know any techs or anyone good with working? Would probably cost that much to get the corners routed.
That's my problem. I don't, and honestly, the C-bomb/Cold Sweat is a long time go to combo for me, so I know I'm going to enjoy that option as well at least.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score

I wanted to like the stefs but the big bump in the low end would be too much through my rig. I had trouble controlling the warpig and it had a bump somewhere in that same range. I did find a stef sig 8 string for pretty cheap, so maybe they work better in the context of his sig guitar.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
See what happens; the bari show sometime this week, if it’s lame I’ll just off it or grab some 7 string Moderns.

Be interesting to see if I could EQ it out. I had a Warpig in my last bari and really loved it for sludge and metal, so this might work out great for drop A chuggy stuff.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I don't really coil split, if I go Fishman, I'd use them the same way I currently use the 57/66 in my other axe.
Outputs similar?
Voicing Similar?

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I don't really coil split, if I go Fishman, I'd use them the same way I currently use the 57/66 in my other axe.
Outputs similar?
Voicing Similar?
the moderns are closer to the 81/85 on voice 1. voice 2 is more distortion/JB for the bridge, and more PAF for the neck apparently. Just read the first couple of pages of the thread.

')