Any users of the signature Fishman Fluence line? (Devin, Abasi, KsE, etc)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I ended up snagging a used set of the 57/66 7H on Reverb. The price was right and he accepted my offer.
I'll look into the Fishman's down the line when I have a new build to work on.

Reaction score
Anyone seen reviews for the Open Core Classics that just came out? I'm considering a set of these or the Adlers...or just the regular Classics.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
Kinda curious about these. I bought a Modern set for my Flying V in drop C (solely a br00tz guitar), but I want something more versatile for my PRS Tremonti in Eb standard, which I play a mix of br00tz and rock with. I have a PAF pickup set in there ATM, but the lack of output can be pretty hard to deal with.

Right now I'm considering any of the sig sets or the Classics. From the descriptions, the Devin set sounds like the Moderns with less high end on voice 1, and the Tosins are supposed to sound like the Moderns with more mids on voice 1. Voice 2 sound like they'd both be similar; kind of a chimey PAF deal. The KsEs seem like they're very close to an EMG 81 with a super-tight sound and slightly reduced low end, and a medium-high passive pickup sound with more low end/low mids on voice 2.

I'm also checking out the classics because they have a PAF thing going on with Voice 1, and a "better" JB sound with voice 2. I'm curious to see how well it can handle metal with voice 2.

But yeah, anyone here actually tried any of the sig Fishmans? Kinda curious if all these descriptions are correct.

TL;DR: Recommend me a Fluence pickup that can go from tight metal br00tz with high gain to chimey passive PAF clarity with cleans and low gain/crunch.

I know this thread isn't exactly recent, but I was kind of looking for what you were looking for.

After a little more time with the modern, did it fulfill your need?

I have 2 guitars with an EMG 57/66 set in them. One is an Ltd. KH-602, and they sound really good in that. The other is an ESP Eclipse, and they sound okay/pretty good in that (I'd be looking at replacing these). I was contemplating getting an Edwards or SE 245/Cu24 or something like that for more "hard rock" type stuff. Sometimes I don't want that pick attack that you get with the EMGs and maybe little less output. If I can get a set of pups that lets me do that, that would be sweet.

Based on what I've read here, it seems like the modern or Abasi models would be the way to go.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The moderns not so much. They're very... modern. :lol:

The Classics did that. Voice 1 is very bright like a PAF, and voice 2 reminds me of something like a Suhr Aldrich with a beefier low end and not as much of a honky midrange.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
The moderns not so much. They're very... modern. :lol:

The Classics did that. Voice 1 is very bright like a PAF, and voice 2 reminds me of something like a Suhr Aldrich with a beefier low end and not as much of a honky midrange.

Ha. Interesting. Were you able to get a tight metal thing going on with the classics?

I'm surprised that they didn't work. Ben Eller posted that video where he rocked some sweet 80's riffs with the moderns. Or were you looking for more "vintage" than that?

Maybe one day down the line, if they stay popular, Fishman would allow you to build your own voicing combo. Say V1 from the KSE, V2 from the Adler, V3 the single coil Abasi

Did you ever try the Abasi set? That kind of sounds like it's got a bit of V1 from the modern, and V2 from the classic.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
I have the new LTD SCT607B,and this guitar sounds bright and almost as snappy as a bolt on guitar.I don't hear any of this boominess people are talking about.My guitar with the 707s though...

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Did you ever try the Abasi set? That kind of sounds like it's got a bit of V1 from the modern, and V2 from the classic.

Just butting in. V1 on the Abasi is not as identical sounding to the V1 of the modern. V1 Abasi has moreand looser lows and got some low mids going on. So it doesnt sound as tight as v1 modern. I found that the KSE v1 is closer sounding to modern v1.

V2 Abasi is fatter and has lesser gain than v2 classic. Think Gibson 57 pups.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
Just butting in. V1 on the Abasi is not as identical sounding to the V1 of the modern. V1 Abasi has moreand looser lows and got some low mids going on. So it doesnt sound as tight as v1 modern. I found that the KSE v1 is closer sounding to modern v1.

V2 Abasi is fatter and has lesser gain than v2 classic. Think Gibson 57 pups.

Butt in all you want. Don't see many of these pups out in the wild. This info is very valuable.

From the demos I've heard (YouTube) of the KSE set, V2 didn't sound that dynamic. Though V1 sounds ridiculous.

AirForbes1

Reaction score
I got both abasi and modern 6 string pups. Still prefer the modern for live work.

I was leaning towards the Modern for my Eclipse. We'll see. I just got a Helix so I'm tweaking things left right and centre right now.

I checked out an SE Holcomb and I liked the feel, but wasn't crazy about the Alpha/Omega (I know others love them). I thought that putting a 5-way selector in it and putting the Abasi set in would be pretty killer.

that short guy

Reaction score
Butt in all you want. Don't see many of these pups out in the wild. This info is very valuable.

From the demos I've heard (YouTube) of the KSE set, V2 didn't sound that dynamic. Though V1 sounds ridiculous.

I have the KSE set and V2 is pretty dynamic. Really open, full, and responsive to pick attack strength and volume.

V1 on the other hand is not nearly as dynamic. It's a lot like an EMG 81. It's stupid tight and clear but the dynamics on it are just marginally better than your run of the mill 81/81X.

And then voice 3 is just awesome. I really don't know why people don't talk about the single coil voice more. Great for cleans, rhythms, and leads

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Ha. Interesting. Were you able to get a tight metal thing going on with the classics?

I'm surprised that they didn't work. Ben Eller posted that video where he rocked some sweet 80's riffs with the moderns. Or were you looking for more "vintage" than that?

I found Voice 2 had a great balance between tight, thick, and bright. I don't tune down with them, but they sound plenty aggressive and have lots of attack.

And I think it's silly they had the Gain switch work only for voice 1. I feel like if it worked for both voices, you could get a very PAF-like quality from voice 2. It's got that classic bucker sound, but is way too over the top.

Also never tried the Abasis, but hearing how they're smoother and not as tight as the moderns is a bit of a turn off.

Strobe

Reaction score
I own the Abasis and the moderns. I honestly did not think it was much less tight than the moderns. It is a lot more even in terms of the frequency response - it does not feel as upper mid spikey as the moderns. It does feel a bit smoother and a bit warmer, but it's still very tight in my opinion.

To me, the Tosin Abasi set sounds better for lead work, and the voice 3 split sound is really pretty for cleans. I would say the moderns have a bit of an edge for tight rhythm work.

The classics definitely sound more classic/PAF like, but they are a little scooped like PAF's and very tight. Honestly, they kind of remind me of the feel of a black winter for metal stuff. They're just about my favorite pickups ever. I like everything Fishman does except for the SC set.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Just installed another set of Classics in another guitar. Man, they liven the fuck out of any guitar. :lol:

The AS-1 I installed it into was pretty dark sounding. It had a JB and a Suhr Aldrich, but even then the guitar still had this dark character to it. Switched to the Classics, and this thing is super bright now. And I want to reiterate these things fucking RULE for higher-gain stuff. Don't let the Classic name fool you. If anything, I think they're tighter and more aggressive than the Moderns.

')