Anybody here trying altered tunings?

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Chords and intervals become less clear and more dissonant the lower they are played, so in a way it seems a good idea to have the intervals between open strings large low down and small up top. The harmonic series is like this, a harmonic tuning of harmonics 2 to 9 would be something like CGCEGBbCD low to high, intervals 5th-4th-M3-m3-m3-2nd-2nd.
Harmonics 1 to 8 would be something like CCGCEGBbC low to high, intervals octave-5th-4th-M3-m3-m3-2nd.
CG CG CEGBb is harmonics 23 23 4567, intervals 5th 4th 5th 4th M3 m3 m3.

Closer intervals in the lower strings makes it easier to play basslines which move around, rather than bass chords and then you can use more fingers for harmonic/melodic movement elsewhere.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
Tune your 8 to EBEBEF#BE
only tune like this if you have no fretmarkers. that way your bassist stares at you for 80% of practice, thinks hes got it, then remembers you arent in standard tuning, smiles and plays it off likes it no big deal, then drives off of a bridge on the way home.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I played around last night before I get ready to figure out string tensions and such to order custom sets to see what feels interesting. I took a run of three strings continuous and retuned first in major thirds, then in minor thirds. Major thirds was certainly different, but minor thirds was just a blast. Not really sure how to describe it if you've never tried it, but "paino chords" (as I've seen bandied about a bit) were very simple to pull off, and the switch from the major to the minor was very clean. Your standard two string power chord becomes a bit difficult to pull off without skipping/muting a string in between. It sort of broke my usual pattern of single notes->power chords->octaves->power chords->single notes. I found I was using power chords ONLY as accent points because it was such a different feeling chord to pull off.

It also results in a repeated string pattern. The bottom four and the top four are tuned exactly the same separated by octaves.

I'll play around a bit more, but I believe minor thirds it is. And if it sticks with me, I may be in the market to try out a 25.5 inch scale nine or even ten string. I see Rondo has a 925 up that the price keeps dropping on. That'd be perfect for this type of tuning.

Also:
only tune like this if you have no fretmarkers. that way your bassist stares at you for 80% of practice, thinks hes got it, then remembers you arent in standard tuning, smiles and plays it off likes it no big deal, then drives off of a bridge on the way home.

My fretboard:
17004d1286050801-ngd-agile-hornet-825-hornetflaw.jpg

Too bad I don't work with a bassist currently.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
Also:

My fretboard:
17004d1286050801-ngd-agile-hornet-825-hornetflaw.jpg

Too bad I don't work with a bassist currently.

people like you are why people like me play fretless and go "no its supposed to sound like that its a fretless"

nightflameauto

Reaction score
well i dont know how to fix that

You ended quote before you ended quote. Remove the first / in the first part of the quote and it'll fix right up.

Fretless = tone machines. I would go fretless on a guitar, but I'm so far out of my violin stage I'm not sure I'd ever find the note.

Reaction score
I keep my 7-string Ibanez in Open-G tuning. (Devin Townsend tuning which is really just Open-=C on a 6-string with the low G.)

Other than that, I have a PRS SE in Drop-A#, a PRS Paul Allender in standard E, and a Steinberger in Open-E (for less stretching on some complex jazz chords).

Things always get interesting with Open tunings in my opinion.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I'm pretty well set on low to high B-D-F-G#-B-D-F-G#. Or move everything up to starting on C instead of B. I'm really liking the chording possibilities with this sort of compressed tuning.

I know it's probably an odd thing to do when everyone else is trying to reach further and lower, but I think there's a lot of fun to be had here. And like I said, I'd kind of like to try it on a nine or even ten string. I doubt I'd even think about doing this on a six string. Too little range for me. An 8 is kind of right on the edge with it, but still lots of fun.

ixlramp

Reaction score
I'm pretty well set on low to high B-D-F-G#-B-D-F-G#
Minor thirds ... interesting choice. There's a mathematical trick to choosing gauges for this, using unit weight values from the D'Addario tension chart ... let me know if you're interested in knowing the method.

Reaction score
The most radical tuning I've tried is C#BADGBE on my ESP 7-string (tuning down the B to C#1, and the E to B1). Gives me tons of range to work with, floppiness of strings aside. Mostly easy to play octaves and allows me to access 9ths and minor 10ths with ease. All 5ths tunings would do something similar, but I'm not very willing to tune up on a baritone scale. I really like the root-5-9 or root-5-b10 chords on all 5ths.

Xplora

Reaction score
ADADGAD here. Really useful for anyone who relies on tapping more than sweeping, and has spent WAY too long making dissonance using standard tuning. I also like diminished/augmented/wholetone/chromatic aka symmetric patterns so the interaction between the treble side of the fretboard is very interesting.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
Try out open tunnings such as open dm add 9 which opeth used for ghost reveries. Try an open tunning with both an added 2 and 4 to try out major minor chords. Possibilities are endless

Latest posts

')