Anybody in a cover band and use a 7?

• Thread starter Riffer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I've been using a 7 as my main guitar for everything since 97. In the same since that a bassist uses a 5-string, using a 7-string guitar works out great for cover bands since you have a variety of tunings to cover. In my current cover bands, the 7 is played about 80% of the night. It covers all the standard tunings. I do bring a 6-string, but it's only used for Drop D.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score

I think it's okay if the real deal uses one.

soul-sirkus-6.jpg

soul-sirkus-1.jpg

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
I'm not asking if it's possible to play 6 string songs on a 7 or to name known guitar players that do. I'm simply asking if anybody else here is in a cover band and plays their 7.

You're not asking us to name players that use a 7 string in a cover band that originally used 6 strings, but you are asking if any players here use a 7 string in a cover band that originally was meant for 6 strings?

I was being sarcastic about the Broderick comment, I was hoping you'd pick up the joke. It is, however, a perfect example of what you're looking for. He was able to use a 7 and cover the megadeth tunes which is what you are doing, is it not (albeit not megadeth tunes)?

Mendez

Reaction score
When i have a 7 string, it gets the most use. So I kinda just use it for everything, like a good quote i read once said, "the 7 string has a 6 string built in" paraphrasing of course :lol:

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
It's also worth mentioning that I use and abuse the 7th and 8th string (this sounded fucking 80's! :metal:), both in leads and rhythm, due to how it helps to give songs a wider sonic palette when required. This, of course, needs to be used tastefully and in keeping with the song's context - also, doubling slapped lines with the bassist = fun!

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses on who uses their 7's in cover bands. Being in a cover band is pretty fun if you find the right people to play with. Actually getting paid is a huge plus and change for me since I was in a death metal band and maybe made $100 as a band at the most on occasion.

Schmeer

Riff .....istrator
Reaction score
I've been in a cover band for the last year or so and I've been using the 7 quite a bit. We play everything from country, classic through to modern rock, funk, pop; you name it..

It has actually been a really positive experience, cause a) it actually pays rather well and b) people really enjoy it.

Sure, it raises a few eyebrows among the more "conservative" musicians out there when I start churning out country-licks on a pointy Ibanez, but "normal" people probably couldn't care less. It has actually gotten to the point where our other guitarist, a man well into his 40's who has never played anything other than strats, has started GASing for a 7.

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
Ahhh I remember seeing a cover band (country and rock), the lead guitarist had that white Ibanez Universe. I was too tossed to even remember if he used the low b. :scratch:

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I've played with a few cover bands, and I only used my 7 string. The bassists often use 5 string basses, so why not use a 7 string? I never got any negative comments about it. And if people don't like it, they can deal with it. Guitarists play what's comfortable for them. For you, that's a 7. So, go right ahead and use it.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
Back in the 2004-2006 time frame, I had 2 bands going when I was back home. One of which was my main project, "The Anomalous". This was a heavy thing that was a sound and styles of Faith No More, AIC, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Pig Destroyer, Primus and Fear Factory/Brujeria mixed together. My other project, "King For A Day" was a Faith No More tribute band I was doing with my drummer. At the time, I was using both my UV7BK when and while I had it along with my ESP M107. Even though the Faith No More stuff was all tuned in E, I was able to figure it out and play it in D with the low A - which was the tuning I used for "The Anomalous"

Even now, I am starting to get antsy to play out again, and I find that I have a lot of fun playing covers, especially Deftones stuff. And with having 6 (soon to be 7...) guitars all tuned a half step different than the next, tuning capability and versatility are easy when different songs are tuned to something different. I think if I can find the right guys my next project will be a Deftones tribute band.

Funz

Reaction score
I play in a neo-soul cover band and wouldn't know what to do with just a six string. There are a few John Legend tunes we do( our arrangements wind up semi heavy sometimes) and by the end of the songs, Im down on the low B string. Also, it helps with multiple tunings. So yes, I do use a 7 string in a cover band.
Honestly its not that hard to imagine how you would use it. Dont get stuck in the six string box...

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't necessarily play in a cover band but I've done occasional cover nights with my regular band. My 7-string is the only thing I use. :cheers: I tune to drop A and use the A string regularly to fatten up chords.

Granted, it's modded to fit HSS pickups so it's by no means the regular EMG metal monster people often associate with the 7-string term.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I use my 7 primarily even though we only have 3 "Drop D" tunes. Mostly we do songs on 6s. What I will do is (sparingly) go an octave down in key parts to heavy it up. One example is Holy Diver (Dio). After the leads and it goes to the outro part, I'll go down to the lower C# instead of the "normal" one. It makes that last part killer IMO.

I'll almost always play my 7 instead. There's only a few songs that I prefer my Les Paul on any more.

Chris Migdalski

Reaction score
A 7 string can allow for more versitility in the interpretation of most covers if you decide to go that route...they are a nice 'tool' to own...it's just a matter how you apply it

Reaction score
Up until last month, I did too, had it tuned to drop A. Didn't really use the lower string that much, though I had a fair bit of leeway with some songs if we were reworking them. Played mostly rock from the 60's through to the early 90's. Didn't sound out of place.

luca9583

Reaction score
I'm so used to playing my 7 string Les Paul that it's now my go to guitar for any musical situation i'm in. Very versatile for covers and everything else.

For songs that need a lot of riffing on the low E string then a 6 string makes more sense (cleaner sound without having to mute the low B of a 7 string while playing..but that of course depends on technique)..whatever works

')