Anybody like PORTAL? (Blackened Death from Aussie)

• Thread starter Brodessa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Just in the past week I found the Australian band PORTAL and I've found myself obsessing over their discography, listening to every bit of it. Not only am I obsessed with the music, but with them as people. I've been reading interviews and researching them quite a bit. They're quite an interesting band.

But I listened to them, and thought they were pretty cool. Loved the dark, horrific atmosphere. It's really dry, but it somehow sucked me in. After listening, I decided to check some more stuff out. I saw pictures of them live and immediately though, "Wow. That looks like a pretty cool stage show! Creepy as hell!"

They dawn costumes, play their creepy atmospheric Metal, and do it very well.
Was just wondering if anybody else has a fascination with the group.

Here's some tastes of the music and show,

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Decapitated666

Black Metal
Reaction score
Yes. Absolutely ridiculous group. Vexovoid was a terrifying album, and was filled with absolute ....ing terror. I loved it. The older stuff is definitely more frightening though. Hope to see them live one day!

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Over on the Terrorizer forum it's known as Squid metal...lol

if you like Portal try Antediluvian, Abyssal, Aevangelist, Motochondrion, Paroxsizhem, Grave Upheaval and Impetuous Ritual...

dax21

Reaction score
Their demo sounds absolutely ridiculous for 1998 too, in case you haven't listened to it yet..

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Oh of course! Portal is pretty well known around here.

I listened to Outre many years ago, and it gave me fecking nightmares. I love the horror ambience. Very unusual band.

stevexc

Reaction score
This may get me run out of sso, but aside from Meshuggah, Portal is my favorite use of 8+ string guitars in metal.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
oh, and this video is brilliant

Stresspill

Sig Addict
Reaction score
Portal are bloody brilliant, some of the darkest most unhuman shit ever. Let's face it, you have to be that kind of magic cross between genius and maniac to wear a grandfather clock on your head.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Quick, nooby, question: Difference between black and blackened metal? I hear a sound difference but I'm not sure if it's the band or the genre.

JN_VS

Reaction score
Over on the Terrorizer forum it's known as Squid metal...lol

if you like Portal try Antediluvian, Abyssal, Aevangelist, Motochondrion, Paroxsizhem, Grave Upheaval and Impetuous Ritual...

Damn!thank you alot for these!

in-pursuit

Reaction score
I've seen them live a couple of times, great band. I've known a few people who have claimed to be associated with some of the members in one way or another, there are some unusual anecdotes and rumors about them that I've heard over time. I think if I had to describe their music in one word it would be 'genuine', I've always felt that playing music that sits that far outside the norm (even for a genre like metal) and doing it as well as they do with the obvious passion that they have takes a lot of sincerity.

you just don't summon Cthulhu by accident.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
YES! Love this band to pieces. The lyrical content sets the standard of it's own, taking from Edgar Allen Poe and H.B. Lovecraft. Not to mention the music is very reminiscent of 20th century composers employing a-tonality, twelve tone composition techniques, synthetic scales, and the act of never resolving built tension; more so atmosphere over melody. Schoenberg, and Debussy would be all over this.

')