Anybody play an Agile Interceptor?

• Thread starter Dehumanize
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
This company is known for crafting some fine guitars, especially the LP clones, but how are the Interceptor superstrats? I haven't owned a 7-string in years, but I've got GAS for one lately since I've been tuning progressively lower as time marches on. Most models are available in either 25.5 or 27 inch scale, and I'm not sure which would be best. I doubt I would be tuning lower than B standard, but the finish I prefer is only available in 27 inch. I'm mostly an Ibanez man, so how do the Agile necks compare to the thin and smooth necks Ibanez is known for?

Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Nat Satin at RondoMusic.com

This guitar is just beautiful.

Also, do EMGs need the same routing that most passive pickups do? I would probably want replace the EMG 707s with BKPs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
...Seriously?

My apologies. In all seriousness these guitars pop up very, very often on ss.org and the reviews seem to be a unanimous "how in Christ's name does one make such a great guitar for so little money?".

I wouldn't hesitate. I have heard nothing but positive reviews of them to be honest, and I'm looking at buying one of my own (at last!) towards the end of the summer. They look absolutely beastly, and they have specs for 7 strings that you would be hard pressed to find from the big builders without spending thousands of dollars unnecessarily.

Take the plunge!

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
dude this forum is full of them, i used to own one, the neck is a bit thicker than an ibanez but still comfy, but i still prefer my ibanez neck

and as for the routing, just buy emg housing covers and put the bkp under it and ur good to go,

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
...Seriously?

My apologies. In all seriousness these guitars pop up very, very often on ss.org and the reviews seem to be a unanimous "how in Christ's name does one make such a great guitar for so little money?".

I wouldn't hesitate. I have heard nothing but positive reviews of them to be honest, and I'm looking at buying one of my own (at last!) towards the end of the summer. They look absolutely beastly, and they have specs for 7 strings that you would be hard pressed to find from the big builders without spending thousands of dollars unnecessarily.

Take the plunge!
I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse. I did find some reviews and other mentions in a search, but this company has changed over the past handful of years and I just wanted to be sure to have some up-to-date opinions on the current production line.

I'm real curious about the differences in the 25.5 inch scale that I'm accustomed to, and the 27 inch scale on the satin finish model. I can't really just take the plunge until I feel I would be comfortable with that change.

dude this forum is full of them, i used to own one, the neck is a bit thicker than an ibanez but still comfy, but i still prefer my ibanez neck

and as for the routing, just buy emg housing covers and put the bkp under it and ur good to go,
Would the BKP covers not fit the EMG routing?

Ewan

Reaction score
Agile interceptors are great. I've had an interceptor and I've got a couple of septors. I actually prefer the septor neck (same as interceptor I think) to the Ibanez 1527 that I have. The neck is thicker in the middle, but more rounded at the edges. The difference is profile aren't worth bothering about.

The frets are much different however, Ibanez have much bigger frets and this feels quite different, you can grab the strings on the ibanez easier, so if you do a lot of big string bends then it may take some adjustment. with the Agile, you'll feel that board under your fingers (unless you've got really boney fingers). Once again, I wouldn't let it bother you.
the 27" scale will only bother you if you play some peices which are currently a stretch on your 25" neck. If you fidn that you don't play anything that stretches you then you'll be fine. If you are paying a lot of stretchy stuff then you may not be,
Also the string tension will be a lot higher, so string bending won't be as easy and you're likely to break strings if you go for big bends.

In summary the 27" neck is great for a lot of metal/classical, but if you play a lot of bluesy stuff, stick to the short necked guitars.

Demeyes

Reaction score
Emg routes are bigger than normal passives. You will have big gaps if you just put passives in that route. To fix that you can get covers for the passives or you can get pickup rings that hide the gap.
As for the scale difference, I find the slightly longer scales more comfortable and I find it gives that little bit more tension that the low B needs. I generally don't tune down below B either.

krsp

Reaction score
I've had both 25.5" and 27" scale length sevens. There wasn't a lot of difference in playing them, I almost didn't notice! I have sort of large hands, so it was no problem. The only thing I can think of being a factor is if you have tiny hands, it may be a large adjustment. Typically, you can't try out an Agile, maybe look around for other guitars with a similar scale length to see if you can play on it - Schecters are usually 26.5" - the necks are a different shape, but it would give you an idea of what to expect scale length wise.

Nazca

Reaction score
I own an Interceptor. Great instruments for the money.

I have customised mine, however. Replaced the EMGs for Blackouts. Replaced the Licensed Floyd with an OFR7, refretted with EVO gold wire (stock frets were TERRIBLE - loose and soft, my new Frets are high, solid and awesome), and swapped the volume and pickup selector around.

It is now a beast. Plays like a dream.

May have to sell it soon to pay my bills. :noway:

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
I own an Interceptor. Great instruments for the money.

I have customised mine, however. Replaced the EMGs for Blackouts. Replaced the Licensed Floyd with an OFR7, refretted with EVO gold wire (stock frets were TERRIBLE - loose and soft, my new Frets are high, solid and awesome), and swapped the volume and pickup selector around.

It is now a beast. Plays like a dream.

May have to sell it soon to pay my bills. :noway:
was the OFR7 a direct drop in without rerouting?
also how much are the OFR7's... I know I could search but.. you are conveniently here with said knowledge.:lol::lol:

I love my Interceptor... It was a huge step up from my Ibanez RG7321. You cant beat the Price for the Specs. Seriously.. get one before the price jumps again. I've watched it Jump a few times since I bought mine at the end of last year.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
t3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
')