Anybody still using 32 bit plugins?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
Even though my pc is 64 bit...all my plugins and vsts are 32 bit. I forgot why but someone recommended when I started recording that it would be better to go with 32 bit..so been using 32 bit since. Is it time or advantages now to go to 64 bit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I think it's because protools only uses 32 bit so most protools compatible VST's run 32 bit. I could be wrong though. Besides that, there's no reason to limit your own processing power by using dated technology.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I wrapped all my 32 plugins to 64 using jbridge because I wanted to use SD2.0 and Amplitube and they're 64 only.

I later discovered I could have just wrapped those two to 32 bit.

Also, I don't use amplitube anymore.

atoragon

Reaction score
I have switched to 64bit only, the vst bridge always gives me some problem

vejichan

Reaction score
Well all my vsts and plug and DAW are 32bits. Don't need jbridge...any reason to switch to 64bit?

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
If you have more than 4GB of RAM then yeah, 8GB + can help improve render times and such exponentially + gives a little bit more help with system usage.

Descent

Reaction score
I'm still on 32bit mostly freeware plugins, so I haven't upgraded to Studio One v.3 because of that. I don't want to wrap them yet and I'll have to spend upward of $500 for the "upgrade" of my paid plugins.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I think it's because protools only uses 32 bit so most protools compatible VST's run 32 bit. I could be wrong though. Besides that, there's no reason to limit your own processing power by using dated technology.

:scratch:

Anyone still on Pro Tools 10 would be using RTAS, not VST... Pro Tools in no way supports VST unless it's through a wrapper like FXpansion's one, or Bluecat Patchwork.

Pro Tools 11 and 12 are both 64-bit and using AAX, with the same "no VST" host.

Honestly the only people I know who are still using 32-bit are people attached to specific plugins. In a frighteningly large number of those cases, it's a torrent of the waves bundle (because it apparently doesn't work in 64-bit AAX).

General rule is that any serious plugin manufacturer has move to 64-bit, and if you're relying on something THAT out of date, you need a good slap across the back of the head.

')