Anyone else here does NOT have a Facebook account?

• Thread starter renzoip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been just wondering... lately, my friends and family have been giving me shit for refusing to have a FB profile. I deactivated my account about two years ago cause I though it had outlived its usefulness for me. I had to reactivate my account twice this year (to get a couple pics I needed), and found more of the same, except even more ridiculous. So I kept it deactivated, and finally found out how to close it permanently.

I find that I really don't need a FB neither to keep in touch with my friends, nor to network. I've been doing fine without one for a while now. Most of the people I have added in my profile are not people I would consider friends, and they just talk a lot of shit I don't care to read. Also, I don't feel the need to have FB getting all up in my business and telling them what I'm up to. I hate the fact that it keep telling people to add me.

I'm not into facebook, but I feel like I might be alone on this one since even my grandparents are currently using it! :nuts:

So... What's your reason for not using FB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Well, I don't have one.

Someone talked me into it once and within a week a stalky ex found me. Also there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile there unless your business is to sell personal data.
I also feel it is utterly stupid how the masses on the internet seem to be flocking to the next best thing (which is exactly the same as the last best thing with different people milking you for your data)
I've seen my friends move from icq to msn, to myspace to facebook to google plus (and some local variants) and I've stopped keeping track where they go next, meanwhile I can still be found at the same email address as 10 years ago.

Also bands who use a myspace or facebook instead of a proper website, or even try to get me to "like" stuff or require me to log in before I can actually see it (hello textures) f*(&k you, I'd rather pirate the album to hear your new song instead of voting for your lazy asses.

/rant

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I deactivated mine a couple months ago, it was getting on my nerves. All of the people on my list who try to sound 'deep' and 'meaningful' were just staring to piss me off and it was all I could do to not make myself a sarcastic asshole and comment on their ramblings. It's pretty nice not to have one, for some people it's like a goddamn addiction.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I deactivated mine twice... Reactivated it twice... Meaning I still have it now. On the second reactivation I realized life is bigger than the decisions I make regarding whether or not to have a Facebook account. :2c:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've toyed with the possibility of shutting mine down, but now that I'll be moving cross country (out to California from Massachusetts), I figure with the time differences and my school using quarters vs. semesters, I might as well leave it around if friends from home want to get in touch with me. That doesn't mean I have to be a slave to it, just that it's still there if I want to use it.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I keep one, but not for anything personal. I use it mainly to find people i need to (i.e. back in touch with my old platoon from the Army).

Also bands who use a myspace or facebook instead of a proper website, or even try to get me to "like" stuff or require me to log in before I can actually see it (hello textures) f*(&k you, I'd rather pirate the album to hear your new song instead of voting for your lazy asses.

/rant
Marketing is about reaching the masses. While I agree that bands/videographers/businesses/etc should most definitely have a real website, using a medium such as FB/MS/etc can reach the masses quicker via word of mouth (or in the FB example, "sharing") than a random Google search or reading the fine print on a flyer/business card. Having to "like" something before seeing it is retarded. I hate that shit too.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^Indeed. I thought that's why they called it social networking. :idea:

Reaction score
I keep one, but not for anything personal. I use it mainly to find people i need to (i.e. back in touch with my old platoon from the Army).

Marketing is about reaching the masses. While I agree that bands/videographers/businesses/etc should most definitely have a real website, using a medium such as FB/MS/etc can reach the masses quicker via word of mouth (or in the FB example, "sharing") than a random Google search or reading the fine print on a flyer/business card. Having to "like" something before seeing it is retarded. I hate that shit too.

Don't get me wrong, if it's on the side I don't care, but I'm sick of bands who only have a myspace page which hasn't been updated with anything but

*******thanks for adding us , come to our website "www.genericgarageband.myspace.com" ****

:)

Reaction score
I have fb and will never deactivate it. Nobody here uses msn anymore so it's the easiest way to talk to some of my friends that have moved and what not.

Nimgoble

Wound tight
Reaction score
I use it for, essentially, the same reason I use this forum: to interact with people online. It serves its purpose. *shrug*

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
I have one BUT i feel i am the only one of my friends who uses it differently. Rarely do I ever check it or make status updates, and if I do, its either business related, or a profound thought/quote etc. I use facebook as a tool, and a connection to those who don't ever pick up a phone (which is a copious amount of my friends). People who use it for a time waster are so mindless.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I've yet to bother with a facebook account. I had enough people bugging me to get a Myspace when it was the cool thing to do. By the time I gave in, Facebook was the shit. It'd be great to keep in touch with old friends and family, which, at some point, I'm sure I'll get a facebook. As for now, I couldn't care less. If you need to get in contact with me and don't feel the need to inform me that it's 6:04pm and you burned your macaroni and cheese, there are plenty of practical ways to get at me. Otherwise, Facebook is just another fad and another source of drama.

It has it's obvious networking benefits, as well, but I'd prefer to keep work and social life totally separate.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I have one but I hardly ever use it. I'll check it a couple times every week but that's about it. Some people are way too obsessed with facebook. They spend all day on there chatting with people that they could be talking to in person and they all seem to have an obsession with posting about every little minute thing they do throughout the day.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I've seen some extreme facebook obsession where this guy was checking his facebook on his GPS. I'm not sure if that's worse than the people who take shirtless pictures of themselves flexing in their parents bathroom mirror.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I could see not wanting a facebook page if all of my friends were local and/or easy to get a hold of regularly, but I've moved around an awful lot over the years so I have friends and acquaintances all over the place. It's just handy to have one place where I can keep up, chat, and share with them. I was reluctant at first because I was annoyed at having to switch from MySpace when everyone ditched it (and it took long enough for me to even get a MySpace page), but now I'm glad I did.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I won't ever be on FB.
No real hate or anything, it's just that Emails cover my contact needs and I'm always up moving around anyways so real-time chats would be inconvienent anyways.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
A cell phone is just as reliable, too. Especially seeing as parents practically equip their newborns with a cell phone before they know their ABC's.

Latest posts

')