Anyone else here does NOT have a Facebook account?

• Thread starter renzoip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
VOIP ftw = )
I'm slowly starting to use voip exclusively over the old GSM network which charges you a minute.

I use Skype if a voice/video chat is desired, but otherwise I'm fine with just using the facebook chat feature.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I don't have an account. Personally I don't see any use in them, rather people join because their friend has one. A gimmick really, and distracting from what is real. That is, real interactions and real friendships. I have a mobile phone, and I hardly even use that. Facebook is also incredibly egotistical, a way of showing off. I've contemplated creating a Facebook account before, but have decided against it, realising that I'd never have a use for it.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I use skype and email sometimes to get in touch with two or three friends living abroad. But for people here in the states, text messaging works well. I can share photos and videos with my phone, have more direct conversation with each person, and keep the conversation a little more private since my messaging app is not telling everyone of my contacts what I'm doing. I like to have a little more control over the way I interact with my contacts. This is why I don't really like FB.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I don't have an account. Personally I don't see any use in them, rather people join because their friend has one. A gimmick really, and distracting from what is real. That is, real interactions and real friendships. I have a mobile phone, and I hardly even use that. Facebook is also incredibly egotistical, a way of showing off. I've contemplated creating a Facebook account before, but have decided against it, realising that I'd never have a use for it.

^ :agreed: Agree.

Sometimes it seems to me that everybody's got one because everybody's got one. :shrug:

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
ANYONE else her never own a cell phone and never care to?

Cell phones are a bit different. A cellphone isn't by default telling all your contacts what you are up to, and vice versa. Also, a cell phone by default won't keep bugging you with suggestions of people to add to your contact list. Probably because it's not profiting from your interactions in the same way that FB is.

Still, I have two friends who do not have cell phones and feel totally fine. I can reach them by email or calling their home phones, so no need to be bugging them about getting one the way people were bugging me for refusing to open a FB account.

Reaction score
I like FB, I have mates who live around the world and its the best way to keep in touch. I follow certain brands, bands, and artists and get the latest news on all of them including gigs, competitions etc... I recently won a competition to Jam with Steve Vai and it was all thanks to Facebook...

That alone is enough reason to like FB...

I say get with the times :p

Murmel

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't do without a cell, there are so many uses for it. Emergencies, texting for different reasons (or for no particular reason), being able to call anyone at any time from wherever.

I guess in the US you have more of an opportunity to use phone booths and shit, I haven't seen a single one in Sweden.

I'd say it's almost retarded not having a cell-phone. There is no rule that says you HAVE to text all the time or HAVE to use internet or whatever, if your phone can handle that. I don't even have a smart-phone and I use mine regularly anyway for different reasons.

Facebook I use because I'm 17, you almost need it to be able to keep track of shit that's going on :lol: It's also great for getting to know events or parties and shit. My class even made our own group which is private so that only we can access it. It's come to great use, reminding eachother about stuff or helping eachother out.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems to me that everybody's got one because everybody's got one. :shrug:

That's sort of the name of the game, though. If most of my friends use Facebook to socialize, it makes sense for me to use it as well. If nobody I knew used it, I wouldn't, either. In that sense, of course everybody's got one because everybody's got one. Getting one because nobody has one or not getting one because everybody's got just makes a person... well... a hipster.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
That's sort of the name of the game, though. If most of my friends use Facebook to socialize, it makes sense for me to use it as well. If nobody I knew used it, I wouldn't, either. In that sense, of course everybody's got one because everybody's got one. Getting one because nobody has one or not getting one because everybody's got just makes a person... well... a hipster.

Oh dayum... then I might be an undercover hipster! :cool:

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Ss.org > Facebook :banana:
It certainly fills a roll facebook doesn't that myspace did: Public forums. I was on the metal forums all the time on Myspace, and if it hadn't fallen to the wayside or if Facebook had had a reasonable equivalent, I may well have never started posting here. That'd be bad for everyone, because I'm pretty fucking awesome.

Blind Theory

Reaction score
FACEBOOKERS UNITE UPON THIS THREAD AND BEGIN OPERATION DERAIL!

Anyway, sometimes I would like to close my FB profile but damn...it is just not that important. It is easy to say it takes over peoples lives when they have no life to begin with. If you are a normal human who works regularly and has a social life FB isn't very controlling at all.

GhostsofAcid

Suiçmez fanboy
Reaction score
Don't have one, don't want one. I'll (reluctantly) get one if i ever move far away from where i live to keep up with old friends.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
i don't have a facebook and I am glad I don't. i really don't need or have time for the drama Bs that goes on because of facebook.

')