Anyone else here hopelessly addicted to Opeth?

• Thread starter leftyguitarjoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
What is the big deal about Opeth? I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I never understood why people love them so much. I listened to a few of their songs, and while they're OK, they didn't really 'wow' me or stand out from other bands. :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I'd say if you didn't "get" them by now, you probably never will... which is a shame.

Ramsay777

Is an A7X fan
Reaction score
I certainly ain't "hopelessly addicted" but I really do enjoy their music, Mikael Akerfeldt is one of my favourite vocalists.

"Reverie/Harlequin Forest", off Ghost Reveries is amazing - When they kick in heavy after the laid back harmony part - around 6.48, defines "EPIC" :metal:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I certainly ain't "hopelessly addicted" but I really do enjoy their music, Mikael Akerfeldt is one of my favourite vocalists.

"Reverie/Harlequin Forest", off Ghost Reveries is amazing - When they kick in heavy after the laid back harmony part - around 6.48, defines "EPIC" :metal:

Aye - I didn't think anyone save me noticed that part... it's ball crushing :).

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Harvest is a great choice. :yesway:

That song has a lot of body to it. A lot of their "deeper" songs like that usually require that you listen to it a few times to catch the nuances.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
This is sacrilege, but I will compile an Opeth track list : -

Harvest
The Drapery Falls
Bleak
The Leper Affinity
Windowpane
In My Time of Need
Hope Leaves
Weakness
Master's Apprentices
Ghost of Perdition
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Hours of Wealth
The Grand Conjuration
Isolation Years
Heir Apparent
Burden
Porcelain Heart
Hessian Peel

Fuck, that's long :).

Oh, and they're really great for when you're feeling down. Not to pick on you/single you out Thin_Ice, but this might be especially good for you :yesway:. If you get into these guys at all, I also highly recommend that you seek out Porcupine Tree, the band in 2nd place in the prog race.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
^^ Haha, I'll work my way through it! Got nothing better to do tonight :lol:

I'm quite impressed with the vocalist so far. I don't know why, but there's something about his voice, particularly in 'Harvest', that I really like. Guitar work is decent, but hasn't blown me away as yet...

I think I'm getting there.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Here are a few of my favorites, Thin Ice:

Deliverance (I jam this song with my drummer sometimes):

April Ethereal:

Bleak (live on Roundhouse Tapes):

Beneath The Mire:

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
This is sacrilege, but I will compile an Opeth track list : -

Harvest
The Drapery Falls
Bleak
The Leper Affinity
Windowpane
In My Time of Need
Hope Leaves
Weakness
Master's Apprentices
Ghost of Perdition
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Hours of Wealth
The Grand Conjuration
Isolation Years
Heir Apparent
Burden
Porcelain Heart
Hessian Peel

Fuck, that's long :).

Oh, and they're really great for when you're feeling down. Not to pick on you/single you out Thin_Ice, but this might be especially good for you :yesway:. If you get into these guys at all, I also highly recommend that you seek out Porcupine Tree, the band in 2nd place in the prog race.

No Black Rose Immortal, When, Forrest of October or Demon of the fall? :(

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't immediately fall in love with Opeth after hearing this song then there's something fundamentally wrong with you... :squint:

Same:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Yes :yesway:.

They have what Dream Theater do not - a sense of soul that extends beyond the occasional piano/acoustic interlude. Personally, I find that the mellower parts are no less intense - they are merely posessing of a different style of emotion.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
They're my fav band with Meshuggah so yea I'm hopelessly addicted to them :D
I see some guys over here got into Death Metal after listening to them. For me it's the opposite, I got into all the prog/70's stuffs after listening to them :)

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
What is the big deal about Opeth? I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I never understood why people love them so much. I listened to a few of their songs, and while they're OK, they didn't really 'wow' me or stand out from other bands. :shrug:

They helped to push the progressive death metal genre to new heights which is partly why they are so revered.
Whether you like their music or not is something else entirely, but their sheer innovation cannot be denied.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I love Opeth. And when I go to listen to them I just put on my 'Opeth Playlist' that has all the Opeth I own within.

It contains:
Damnation
Deliverance
Ghost Reveries
Blackwater Park
My Arms, Your Hearse
Orchid
Still Life
Watershed

It's not surprising I'm a big fan, since besides other kinds of metal, I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan. I have basically everything by them. Opeth kind of briged the gap between 70's prog and metal.

Latest posts

')