Anyone else here hopelessly addicted to Opeth?

• Thread starter leftyguitarjoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The only time I ever saw Opeth live was before I actually got into their music. And I remember liking some songs (such as "Demon of the Fall") and not caring for other songs (such as "The Drapery Falls" -- which I like now, by the way), but what I remember most is how perfect the performance was. The sound was the perfect balance. The rhythm guitar, lead guitar, solos, bass, drums, and vocals were all flawless. So, even though I wasn't into the music, they did really impress me by their musicianship and it made me a lot more interested in their music than I had before I saw them live.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Seven

Lucky☆Seven
Reaction score
It just didnt sound good.

Im not sure if it was just that tour, if they had off days or what.

The mix was pretty muddy, and overall their performance was just boring

I remember Opeth as having one of the best live mixes I've heard behind Symphony X. Also, on "The Roundhouse Tapes" they sound fucking amazing! I have the same thing with Into Eternity though. They're apparently an a amazing live band, but every time I've seen them live they were terrible. I guess it all depends...

jaredowty

Reaction score
I still don't see the appeal.

Other than being one of the most versatile metal bands in the world with great musicianship? I can see how someone wouldn't like them but to say there is no appeal is a bit weird...

Also, on "The Roundhouse Tapes" they sound fucking amazing!

I have to disagree. There were moments of brilliance on Roundhouse and the clean vocals are great but everything else...meh. Axe butchers a lot of Lopez's parts (especially Ghost of Perdition...slow down and feel the groove there, Axe!), the growls are weak, and the guitar tones are pretty stale sounding. The guitar and keyboard work along clean vocals are great however.

Opeth definitely sounds much better in the studio IMO.

sethh

ss.org SpongeBob
Reaction score
oh yes

i'm going to see them live this monday when they're playin' in Estonia :)

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
I fucking love Opeth! probably my favorite band along with a couple of others, I've seen them live loads yet its still not enough times :D, in fact the first time I saw them was before I'd even heard of them, they were first on at a festival and I must have been standing there with like 30-40 people, I loved the heavy bits but didn't get the soft parts then I got a few albums and it all made sense.

Probably my biggest regret with Opeth is not going to the Roundhouse in London to see them for the CD/DVD recording, probably the best set I've ever heard (albeit secondhand) them play.
I've gotta say MAYH and Morningrise are my favorites but I love them all. :wub:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Other than being one of the most versatile metal bands in the world with great musicianship? I can see how someone wouldn't like them but to say there is no appeal is a bit weird...

I always thought disillusion did it better, but they collapsed under the weight of their own genius.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
They're my favourite band as well, and I also met them once too :)

Blackwater Park is my favourite, "Harvest" always brings me very nice memoiries.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been a fan since i heard them my sophomore year of high school on the radio. It was the weekly after midnight on saturday metal 6 hours of the radio. The DJ managed to get a promo copy of BWP and played The Drapery Falls. I was hooked.

Ironically they got me into softer music. At that point in time I was pretty much a straight up metal-core kid and Eighteen Visions was my favorite band (this is pre Vanity, thus heavy as fuck!) I had my thrash/death/black metal stuff too. Now thanks to Opeth I listen to all sorts of different music

I was never able to see them till this past tour with High on Fire and Nachmystium due to various getting screwed or being out of town for the local dates. I already ahve my tickets for NYC on 5-28 though! WOOT WOOT!

As for favorite albums: MAYH is as close as it gets, Still Life or Deliverance being the weakest links (however amazing that they are.)

Daoloth

The Render Of Veils
Reaction score
I want Mike's Goblin Shirt. My arms your hearse best album IMO.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I always found surprising, was the lack of talk about Mikael's guitar solos.
Sure, he may not be a warp speed shredder, but what he does play, he plays super fucking clean.
His vibrato is absolutely incredible and so controlled, his bends so perfect and his phrasing and note choice to die for.
Some of the best solos I've ever heard, are Mikael's solos.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
One thing I always found surprising, was the lack of talk about Mikael's guitar solos.
Sure, he may not be a warp speed shredder, but what he does play, he plays super fucking clean.
His vibrato is absolutely incredible and so controlled, his bends so perfect and his phrasing and note choice to die for.
Some of the best solos I've ever heard, are Mikael's solos.

A huge fucking +1

Mikael is a great guitarist, it's just fact. I've been loving his inventive acoustic stuff recently.

rasse

Reaction score
Just saw them live for the second time a week ago in Helsinki. Really, really nice show. Started with Heir Apparent and holy shit did the whole venue explode. And around half way people were yelling so many song names that Mikael decided to just play like a minute or so of the songs he heard people yell. And the encore they played was Deliverance and you can pretty much guess how the crowd reacted. And ofcourse the basic gay jokes were delivered.

The first time I saw them was a few years ago in Tuska. Played alot of old and unknown songs so the crowd wasn't really that into it unlike a week ago. Also the fact that it was an outdoor concert kinda dampened the overall feel of the whole thing.

Makelele

Reaction score
I've seen Opeth live 3 times. The first time was a small-ish club gig, which is still one of my favorite live shows. Everything was perfect.

The second time was at Ruisrock 2006. That show wasn't as good as the first, as they played a horribly long version of "Closure", and had only a 1 hour set.

The third time was at Ruisrock 2008, and that show was just awesome, even though it was a short set. Mikael said in an interview that the arrangers of the festival almost let them go back for an encore, despite the tight schedule, because the crowd was still there half an hour after the last song, just yelling for more.

Sroth Saraiel

BC Rich 7 Strings :)
Reaction score
I absolutely like Opeth!

+1

images

Reaction score

I have to disagree. There were moments of brilliance on Roundhouse and the clean vocals are great but everything else...meh. Axe butchers a lot of Lopez's parts (especially Ghost of Perdition...slow down and feel the groove there, Axe!), the growls are weak, and the guitar tones are pretty stale sounding. The guitar and keyboard work along clean vocals are great however.

Opeth definitely sounds much better in the studio IMO.
I like versatile bands, I mean I listen to stuff like Mr Bungle, Umphrey's McGee and Pain of Salvation.

Opeth just doesn't appeal to me though, and I certainly don't see why they have all those praise heaped upon them.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I don't know why Opeth have all their fan-love/critical acclaim either... but I do think that it's extremely well deserved, whatever the reason. Maybe it's due to the listeners thinking that Mikael is a proficient composer of many different styles. Maybe it's due to the listeners believing that the music is genuinely touching. Maybe it's due to the listeners adoring Mikael's wonderfully soft and yet incredibly brutal vocals. Maybe it's due to the listener's belief that the band is like no other. Maybe it's all of these. Whatever, I digress...

Personally, I think Opeth, over the course of their last few albums, have demonstrated themselves to be one of the best, if not THE best, band of the 21st century. I seriously cannot think of a band that has mixed style, atmospheres and sounds so fluently since the days of Pink Floyd. They really are that good.

')