Anyone Else think Fender makes some good guitars?

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thor_

Reaction score
My dad has a 60th anniversary flame top tele. It's of great quality and sounds spectacular.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try out those new American Special series strats. They have 1 of each model (sss & hss) at my local shop, but I havent taken them for a spin yet. Has anybody else had the chance to try 'em out?

Also, does anybody else only like the fat 70s strat headstocks? I dont think I could own a "standard" strat headstock - they just dont look right to me...

Demonbrn

Reaction score
I love my Fender, it still has a great sound after (10 years maybe less), and as mentioned, has great versatility. My only real beef with it is that the frets are REALLY high on it (which I guess gives it room for wear), but it doesn't buzz and is a beast!

Squire%20Pro%20Tone.jpg

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
There are a few reasons why I love Fender, and a few reasons why I dislike them... so it's a love/hate relationship.

When I was building my bass rig this past winter, I was looking for a good 4 string Jazz. I was dead set on the MIM Fender Standard Jazz FSR. SO I played 2, some other MIM Standards, a Deluxe Active, 3 American Standards, a Geddy Lee, an American Deluxe, a Squire Classic Vibe, and a Squire Vintage Modern.

I walked out with a used Squire Vintage Modern Jazz.

Played 10x better then all of the MIM Standards and better then 2 of the American Standards I played, couldn't touch the American Deluxe, and was tonally superior then the Deluxe Active.

The Talkbass community absolutely loves the new Squire line. I can see why and I fully support Squire basses. Best bang for the buck with this beast of a bass. I cannot put it down.

But I really think Fender's Quality system is too sporadic within the timeline of their products. Their recent products (2009 and on) are knocking everything out of the ballpark. I played an American Special Jazz... holy sweet mother. Not to mention the Jim Root Signature Strat.

But with Fender's pricing... I'd gladly wait to buy used. They're so common it'd be stupid to buy new.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
The new Pawnshop series are fucking unbelievable. Try them. They play like a dream and sound excellent. $800 as well. I played a semi hollow one with a pearly gates bridge and a split humbucker thing and it rocked so hard. It also has a rotary switch which also makes it awesome. I was at guitar center for 2 hours straight playing this thing.

Squier makes some awesome beasts, too. Especially their classic vibe telecaster. Yum. Fender and Squier have definitely stepped up their game lately. But those who doubt Fender, go try the pawn shop series!

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
Sounds like Ed Roman talk to me :scratch::lol::lol:

I have never played a bad USA Fender , and most mass produced guitars are not bad at all, granted a couple with problems slip out every once in a while, but probably 90-95 percent of the time they are great instruments.

Lol. I chuckled at the roman comment. I think your standards are a little relaxed. :\ Also you took my statement too extreme. I was saying you need to play a bunch to find that real gem. You shouldnt settle for good enough.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
If Fender didn't make good guitars why would John Mayer, David Gilmour,
Jeff Beck, John 5, and Eric Johnson play them?

People like to hate on everything. "Fender don't make all black
8 string guitars with EMG's or BKP's and Tosin doesn't play them.
So they suck." Every guitar company has it's pros and cons.
I'd love to own a Mayer or Gilmour strat.
Or a John 5 tele.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I've never liked Fenders, but I've definitely come to appreciate them more since working in a guitar shop. They just don't make guitars that I want to play. One of the things that I don't like about them, which I've mentioned before, is that when they reissue an older guitar, they even include the features that were just bad ideas. Some, like the Tele input jack that's just pressed into the body and falls out easily, never went away.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Lol. I chuckled at the roman comment. I think your standards are a little relaxed. :\ Also you took my statement too extreme. I was saying you need to play a bunch to find that real gem. You shouldnt settle for good enough.

Well, YOU may need to do that, but, as for me, I think that a lot of the Fenders I have played suited ME very well. It all comes down to preference. There is not "best" guitar. I settle for what, imho, is good. To me, there is not best or priceless gem. If I like it, I like it, if I do not, i do not. Simple as that. And by that logic if we have a favorite guitar that is just perfect for us, would we just then decide to sell all of the others, as we are just "settling" for those

You set your standards low, you will meet them and be disappointed. If you set them to high you are missing out on some that is actually pretty good, not the best but still enjoyable and likeable. You set them just right you can be happy and learn to appreciate more out of life.

Just my :2c:, I think the working class self is starting to come out in this....

I am not trying to be an asshole or anything man, just showing my perspective. I see where you are coming from. Idk I have been called a pretty laid back guy, I mean I hate defected guitars and all, in fact Carvin and I are talking about that right now lol. For me I just like what is good, there is no "best" for me, despite I am an Ibanez, ESP and Fender/Charvel/ Jackson/ EVH fan boy, I have no "real" brand loyalties and think no guitar is better, just what you like is all. One person may see a guitar and see it as a Gem, to another, they think it is a POS. Why we have so many guitars to choose from, so many people think of what is perfect

God I spend too much time trying to prove my points and views to people on the internet, I need to get a girlfriend lol......Now I be depressed for being single....:wallbash:

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
This x1000, $ for $ there is no competition, Fenders are good and consistant, G&Ls match Fenders Custom shop however. The more modern pickups can still do the old school stuff if you roll them off a bit, and damn they are fine. The option a build at no upcharge (aside from the options themselves) is also amazing.

I will admit that every time I see your orange ASAT I get some SERIOUS gas lol.

There is a G&L dealer right down the street from my college campus and I have played a few. Great guitars IMHO. Honestly I think they are as good as Suhrs and Tom Anderson and are cheaper. I do love the Invader and the new Rampage especially.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I have a USA Vintage 57 Reissue strat, which I absolutely adore. When it all comes down to it, if only one type of guitar existed (like violins), above everything else I would want it to be a strat.

How easy are they to mod? Just putting heavier strings in completely changes the guitar. Just put a new pikguard on and you can have any configuration or control setup, I've seen loads routed out for floyds, you can change the nut, machine heads... I've never seen more modified variations of any guitar than a strat! I plan on making a green meanie style Charvel strat (So Cal, whatever they call it), routing it for a Floyd, HH or HS pickup configuration.

As long as it's green I dont care about the spec :lol:

I love a lot of Fender's high end stuff. I had a Custom Shop Strat at one stage, the figuring on the neck was unreal.

soliloquy

Reaction score

People like to hate on everything. "Fender don't make all black
8 string guitars with EMG's or BKP's and Tosin doesn't play them.
So they suck." Every guitar company has it's pros and cons.
I'd love to own a Mayer or Gilmour strat.
Or a John 5 tele.

oh boy...that opens up a can of worms.

guitars that stars/celebs play are quiet often much different than what their signature stuff is off of retail stores. often times they are modified here and there with different necks, pickups etc...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
oh boy...that opens up a can of worms.

guitars that stars/celebs play are quiet often much different than what their signature stuff is off of retail stores. often times they are modified here and there with different necks, pickups etc...

Both John 5 and Eric Johnson have made it big points that they play the exact guitar as thier signature models. As for Mayer, if I remember correctly, him main Strat is an older model brought to signature specs.

As for Gilmour, it's fully known that his signature guitar is more of a tribute model based off of his original black Strat.

Vinchester

Reaction score
I'm not a Fender player, but I love American Strat and can totally see myself owning one in the future! I mean those things are so beautifully made and sounds sweet.

I'm also a big fan of Eric Johnson!

soliloquy

Reaction score
Both John 5 and Eric Johnson have made it big points that they play the exact guitar as thier signature models. As for Mayer, if I remember correctly, him main Strat is an older model brought to signature specs.

As for Gilmour, it's fully known that his signature guitar is more of a tribute model based off of his original black Strat.

no, my point is, often times even if you give the stars/celebs their very own signature guitar, and they are playing it, what they have in their hands is slightly altered than what can be found in retail.

i wont be surprised if, for example, one of those has a glossed neck, but the actual celeb has a satin finish on his guitar.

sure, some players use the exact same guitar found in retail stores (i'm thinking paul gilbert more so....), but what they have in their hands may not be what you have in your hands even if the headstock claims it to be.

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
If you think they play off the self strats then you're crazy. Even if it was a sig model, that guitars neck and setup is setup nice by their luthiers. Come on guy.

Well, YOU may need to do that, but, as for me, I think that a lot of the Fenders I have played suited ME very well. It all comes down to preference. There is not "best" guitar. I settle for what, imho, is good. To me, there is not best or priceless gem. If I like it, I like it, if I do not, i do not. Simple as that. And by that logic if we have a favorite guitar that is just perfect for us, would we just then decide to sell all of the others, as we are just "settling" for those

You set your standards low, you will meet them and be disappointed. If you set them to high you are missing out on some that is actually pretty good, not the best but still enjoyable and likeable. You set them just right you can be happy and learn to appreciate more out of life.

I am not trying to be an asshole or anything man, just showing my perspective. I see where you are coming from. Idk I have been called a pretty laid back guy, I mean I hate defected guitars and all, in fact Carvin and I are talking about that right now lol. For me I just like what is good, there is no "best" for me, despite I am an Ibanez, ESP and Fender/Charvel/ Jackson/ EVH fan boy, I have no "real" brand loyalties and think no guitar is better, just what you like is all. One person may see a guitar and see it as a Gem, to another, they think it is a POS. Why we have so many guitars to choose from, so many people think of what is perfect

Ok so first off we have different ways to deal with instruments. If a guitar isnt good enough, i get rid of it. Thats where custom builders come in.
Then, you take my statements alll wrong. I just didnt want to say there are A LOT of crapy strats at guitar shops. Fender isnt the most consistent company. But i didnt want to say that because someone like you would be defensive about it. I love strats. I honestly believe guitars wouldnt be as awesome as they are today with out the invention of the strat. The strat is pretty much the foundation for countless other guitars.
All I'm saying is fender isnt very consistent about theyre low level builds. BUT if you play a bunch you can find a sweet one.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
If you think they play off the self strats then you're crazy. Even if it was a sig model, that guitars neck and setup is setup nice by their luthiers. Come on guy.

A hand built guitar from a Fender master luthier would cost an obscene amount, and while if those pros asked for a new guitar they might get just that, signature guitars give the man on the street a chance to play a guitar like their hero's. I don't love Yngwie Malmsteen, but I loved his tone and the YJM strat in general, so I bought a crafted in Japan YJM strat.

It was ridiculously good. In the end though, I just wanted something more capable for metal (without having to mod) so I sold the Fender to a YJM strat collector in Germany.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
But that's like a sub-market of a sub-market. :lol:

')