Anyone else use flat wounds on their sevens?

ChristopherG

Reaction score
Personally I love them. I use the Di'Adario Chrome 7's with the wound G.

The bass sound much more honestly bass-y and the over-all tone is far warmer. So if you are wanting a darker tone but drop tuning doesn't suit you, give them a try. Sure they are a lot more expensive but they last till they break, pretty much. Unless you have highly acidic sweat.

Thomastick is my prefered six string flat wound but I don't think they make a seven string set.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPfloyd

Reaction score
I played jazz for a few years and everyone would talk about them, basically it was that or nothing. Tried them out and it makes the guitar sound dead IMO. different strokes for different folks right?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I played jazz for a few years and everyone would talk about them, basically it was that or nothing. Tried them out and it makes the guitar sound dead IMO. different strokes for different folks right?

This pretty much mirrors my feeling on flats.

They have a purpose, and I'd even say they have a place outside of jazz, but in rock/metal context they're just awful in a band mix. The wooly, deep, nasal tone is fun on it's own, but the second you're in the room or on stage full a full band it loses it's appeal.

ChristopherG

Reaction score
Yeah, you either love them or hate them. @ManOfMetal, I know what you are saying. Back when I was playing out, I mostly used my flat wound tele in settings where they were missing a bass player.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I played jazz essentially full-time for a number of years. Flatwounds sounded great on my Heritage archtop. They can make a solo guitar sound nice and smooth and warm but they just don't work in a more contemporary setting where you want to cut through versus blend in.

JSanta

Reaction score
Only use them on my seven string archtop, but that's only because of string noise. I'm no Joe Pass so any help I can get goes a long way.

HeadofaHessian

Reaction score
Ive tried the D'addario 11-65 on my seven mainly because I like the sizes in the set so i thought id give flat wounds a try. I didn't like them at all, like people have stated it makes the guitar sound dead and lifeless IMO.

Latest posts

')