Anyone else use raised tunings?

• Thread starter Jimby Pearadoople
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Talk, talk, and more talk of drop d and a, but what for tuning the low string up?

Like most guitarists, I've toyed around with a myriad of tunings. I wrote a couple songs with my 6th string up to F but it was only recently that I really took the effort to understand it. Now I've given up on 6s and tuning my B to C is awesome.

Yeah, it's not 'Metal' to tune upwards...in some circles. And with playing 7 strings, most of what yer gonna get is other Metal guitarists...but raising the low string a semitone opened up a world of modal playing for me. I've always used the low strings as a pedal tone. Playing in G over a C droning note is...for lack of a better word: beautiful.

Yet, Lydian will do that.

Hope this doesnt sound lame. Memes often do...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Not "metal?"
Tell that to John Browne!
That dude tunes everything but his lowest string up a half step IIRC.

I'll tune up to open E for slide shit,
but that's not raising the low E so never mind

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
Tom Morello tuned his guitar to G in "Like a stone". I believe he was using ultra-thin strings (.008s) for that purpose.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Keith Merrow Tunes to drop B flat with his sevens quite a bit IIRC. And his stuff is definitely metal. :) lol

')