Anyone else use the Digitech Drop for Bass (or any pitch shifter pedal first in the chain)?

• Thread starter Soul_Debt_NJ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soul_Debt_NJ

New Single TYRANT, now streaming
Reaction score
Long story short, our band plays primarily in drop A flat for the time being, and even with a 140 gauge string and the bottom of my Spector Pulse, there would still be slight flub. After my wrist injury, using this gauge only became harder, so since I use pedals with my amp of choice, I decided to add the Digitech Drop in front. Not only was I able to switch down to a 135 gauge bottom string, but tuning to Drop A natural and using the pitch shifter still sounds tighter than just tuning straight down to begin with; I wonder if any of you had similar experiences.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A lot of bands I've met do . The only thing I've heard is going too low makes it muddy and boomy . Glad to see it's working for you . I plan on getting one eventually but I believe you can pitch shift on Quad Cortexs so I'd probably go that route if I needed something to play live

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not the latest and greatest but the AxeFx 2XL+'s pitch shifting is the best I've experienced so far for moderate tempo playing. Shifting down from drop A to F# worked really well on guitar and bass.

The latency is much better from what I've experienced using a whammy pedal: it feels like it keeps up with my playing better, aside from really fast picking.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I've done this. In EADG dropping a half step works fine. I A whole step to D was passable enough for band practice, but not sure I would do that at a show. It just sounds a little wonky if your paying close attention. I tried a half step down on a B standard 5 string, it's about the same quality as the latter example, maybe even a tad worse.

silbbu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had the digitech drop for a while to drop my bass half step down, but noticed that the HX Stomp's simple pitch block was better, more natural sounding.