anyone else?

• Thread starter theunforgiven246
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
does anyone else just feel wierd when listening to their own music? i do, it kinda makes me feel egotistical in a way. its wierd.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
i see what ur saying... i helped record a band today and while doing the EQ for the guitarist i told him just to rock somethin out for me and he started playing a riff from one of my songs! another time i was standing by the street just chillin with some friends and a high school kid drove by in his car and had a bootleg of one of our shows playing he screamed out the window "you guys F'ing rock!" :rolleyes: its like thanks... but i try not to think too much of it. i cant be an asshole yet, im not getting paid! after that, :cool: then maybe we'll see :lol:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
when i listen to myself, it makes me think, "hmm, i should practice." :)

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Since I record all my own stuff and all my band's stuff, I'm forced to listen to it, so I've gotten used to it :lol: Except my singing, that takes a while still.

mikoxxx

Reaction score
I'm not a singer, but I had my voice recorded on tape once or twice and I really hated it ;P as well as I hated me appearing on a video... hmmmm

But hearing my recordings I always listen closely to MY guitar line ;)
yeah, a weird feeling anyway

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
theunforgiven246 said:
does anyone else just feel wierd when listening to their own music? i do, it kinda makes me feel egotistical in a way. its wierd.
I feel proud when I listen to my own music but I try to not feel egotistical as it gets you nowhere. If I do feel egotistical, it's for a very short brief moment.:)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I listen to my mp3.com release infrequentally enough that, when I do put it on, it's pretty cool. It's like, "yeah, I'm a hack, I need to practice more, but that said, I'm really not embarrassed ny any of this stuff, even three years after the fact." It's cool.

Weirdest thing happened a few months back, though - I had a mp3 playlist going on my computer with all kinds of random stuff in it, and Devin Townsend's "Canada" came on, and I had to check the playlist to find out what it was - the intro riff was written and produced exactly like something I'd have done. I figured it was one of my songs, but I couldn't remember writing or recording it. :lol:

(Devin's had a huge impact on how I produce music. Man's a genius. :yesway:)

-D

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm at a point where I've heard the songs that I've been working on so many times now that I could just about vomit when I hear them played.
I have a really hard time stepping back and just hearing my songs as a whole. I'm always hearing (the many) imperfections that make me cringe and want to scrap the whole thing. :wallbash:
:blahblah:

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
Since I record all my own stuff and all my band's stuff, I'm forced to listen to it, so I've gotten used to it :lol: Except my singing, that takes a while still.

+1000! I used to get very weirded out but after doing all the production work on my buddies last album that kind of went away. You can only be weirded out so many hours in any given day. :hbang:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I used to feel weird but not nowadays. The coolest thing though is when you're in a club and your song comes on and you don't realize it for a second. I have a project which has been my only project up till now which is EBM (kind of like electro industrial/gothic) and a few times I was in a club both here and in Europe and out of nowhere I'd think either, "Hey this sounds good" or, "This song sounds really familiar" when the first few bars played. Then I'd be like, "Oh shit!! That's my song :D " Then I'd go talk to the DJ and have a few drinks with him. It's even cooler seeing people dance to your music. It's very flattering. Most of the time I get on the dancefloor and dance along with them.

But like I said, after all that... I pretty much don't even think about it anymore when I hear my own stuff. I just listen. but yeah, sometimes I come to think about it as I'm listening and feel really proud of myself :) We should be proud of our work, but not egotistical.

Rev.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
theunforgiven246 said:
it kinda makes me feel egotistical in a way. its wierd.

Actually, for the record, there's nothing like the recording process to REALLY bring your weaknesses as a player to light. It's actually quite a growing experience, and I became a much better guitarist after I started recording.

-D

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
oh i know and i can hear all my flaws but its still makes me feel wierd.

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
Drew said:
Actually, for the record, there's nothing like the recording process to REALLY bring your weaknesses as a player to light. It's actually quite a growing experience, and I became a much better guitarist after I started recording.

-D
i hear you there, im the biggest critic when it comes to me being on a recording... i cant stand little things, but it is good that it makes me strive to be a better player. so many people want to get everything done on the first take, and as everyone one knows your first take usually sounds like absolute shit! :lol:

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Want to see a lead singer have a nervous breakdown? Next time your in the studio and they're being bitchy about something, solo their vocals and let them have a listen :lol:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
Want to see a lead singer have a nervous breakdown? Next time your in the studio and they're being bitchy about something, solo their vocals and let them have a listen :lol:

Haha, so true! Everytime I would work on a singers vocals solo'd they'd always complain and say how much they hate their vocals or hearing them dry. My last singer was like this but only when totally dry. He'd say, "That's sounds disgusting, put on the effects" and I'd be like, "Hold on I'm editing!" LOL.

Rev.

')