Anyone ever make a nut out of maple?

• Thread starter RickyCigs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
well, my build was going along nicely when i realized that the nut i ordered is going to be too small due to my neck being very slightly wider than my original design.

obviously a nut made of wood will wear out a bit faster, but will the tonal qualities still be there? maple is a fairly dense wood and i have a bunch of scraps left over from the build to just make a nut rather than piss around with trying to order a blank that fits. if i didnt live 2 hours away from the nearest music store it wouldnt be a big deal....

any thoughts? i guess the worst that can happen is i dont like it and use it until i get a proper one, but i'd like to hear if anyone has experience with it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've tried a few woods for this and found they don't last long . Ebony gave the best result .
Go to your local butcher and get a big dog bone , works a treat :cool: and keeps the tone .

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... Not a bad idea. I'm a lot closer to a butcher than a music store lol

Is your butcher located next to a pet store? ;)

More seriously, I'll probably just make a maple one then until I can get a bone or the proper one. They aren't that difficult to get off the guitar, and it's not a strat or tele so it's not slotted in

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Ohhhh! Bones FOR dogs! I gotcha!

Seriously I find bones just laying around.

But that's just me..

ihunda

Reaction score
What's the process to get from a raw bone to a bone nut??
I guess if you take some beef marrow bone, you have a big chunk of matter to work from.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
What's the process to get from a raw bone to a bone nut??
I guess if you take some beef marrow bone, you have a big chunk of matter to work from.

When I take on this job, I'll just sand one side flat on the belt sander so that I can run it through the band saw or table saw easier. Cut it flat, then sand from there.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
2012-02-18_12-34-09_720-1.jpg

2012-02-18_12-34-36_5-1.jpg

2012-02-18_19-21-23_969-1.jpg

I actually use guitar strings to slot the nut. I score it with an exacto knife then loop the string around my shoe, holding the other end taut, and run the nut up and down its length.

Pretty stone-age I know ..

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
That's actually a good idea.... I may do that to widen the nut slots of my guitar I'm putting thicker strings into.

Vicious7

Vegetables
Reaction score
Ohhhh! Bones FOR dogs! I gotcha!

Seriously I find bones just laying around.

But that's just me..

Like.....human bones???? :ugh:

Speaking of such....I shouldn't even ask this...has anyone ever used a human bone for a guitar nut??? :scratch:

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Like.....human bones???? :ugh:

Speaking of such....I shouldn't even ask this...has anyone ever used a human bone for a guitar nut??? :scratch:

Wow. Now that would be heavy.

No I actually work for the power line company so I'm in peoples yards and wooded areas a lot. Consequently I just run across bones pretty often -deer bones, racccoon bones , possum bones, dog bones... bones FOR dogs not bones OF dogs.

People bones, though... wow...

Navid

Chicken Kicker
Reaction score
I actually use guitar strings to slot the nut. I score it with an exacto knife then loop the string around my shoe, holding the other end taut, and run the nut up and down its length.

Dude, I was looking for an alternative way to slot a string-nut and you just enlightened me.
WTH Slotting files are fucking expensive!
Thanks man. :deathm:

octatonic

I can count to 8.
Reaction score
I know someone who made a guitar with frets made out of rock maple.

seven_stringer

Reaction score
If you want to experiment with wood for the nut you can soak it in a wood hardener like MinWax Wood Hardener. Google acrylic impregnated wood and MinWax Wood Hardener for more info. You can also soak the wood nut with thin CA glue to give it some durability.

Latest posts

')