Anyone ever use the Treadplate model?

• Thread starter Mattayus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
On a Podxt? it's a bit hissy, anyone managed to control it? i've tried Eq'ing it all sorts of ways and it's just too honky and over the top. i cant quite find the words to describe what i mean... it's sorta... slappy, hissy, squelchy, high-endy... but it SHOULD be the best head on their for metal, when the spinal puppet is the clear winner (not including the metal shop upgrade)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
my favourites so far are the rectifier models, the diamond plate model for example. the Criminal amp is nice too. the Treadplate thingy is a little too much for me though, it´s too over-the-top. try the Diamond Plate model, with the screamer stomp in front, that sounds nice to me :D

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
my favourites so far are the rectifier models, the diamond plate model for example. the Criminal amp is nice too. the Treadplate thingy is a little too much for me though, it´s too over-the-top. try the Diamond Plate model, with the screamer stomp in front, that sounds nice to me :D

+1 That does the trick for me live

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
diamond plate? that's not on teh normal podxt is it? that's with the metal pack upgrade i thought? man i should really explore my pod more, i've had it for 3 months!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
ah, i was assuming the treadplate model was in the metal pack too :p

GET THE DAMN METAL PACK! :p

really though, do! :D

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
haha yeah man i really need to don't i really... all i gots is my sucky spinal puppet, which aint bad, as u can hear from my stuff, but it's not amazing, and doesn't really do my stuff justice

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
Metal Pack FTW, you get the Diamondplate model as well as my favorite, the Angel P-Ball. The models in the Metal Pack smoke the standard amp models and lack the inherent fizziness.

Clydefrog

Reaction score
Any tips for the P-Ball patch? I've using the metal pack for ages now, and of all the models I can never get the P-Ball to get a good "thunk" in the mix. It always sounds "tiny" and just lacking. A shame, because I like the TONE of it, just can't get it to play well with others.

Dylan S

Reaction score
When I first got my toneport, I assumed the treadplate was the best model, so I made a few tones with it, but everytime I went to listen to them the next day they sounded terrible to me. I just don't like how it's voiced. Sometimes it even sounds like it has a chorus or some type of effect filtering it. I never recorded anything with it before. I basically use the spinal puppet for anything I record that is high gain. I think it sounds the most natural.

xoi

Reaction score
the pball model is by far my favorite right now. i was having the same problem with it sounding a little thin, but i messed around and found that by adding sine chorus with a rate of .10Hz, depth at around 25% and mix around 35% it adds depth and a little thickness to the tone.

another thing i noticed is that you can't really go by an amp's 'real world' reputation, it's more of what sounds good to your ears through the pod.

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
Justin, I second the sine chorus mixed in, it really makes a difference. Also try some EQ to boost the frequency range you find lacking. I used some presets I believe came from the CustomTone library as a basis and started tweaking, I think the original was called "Powerball 2". It didn't sound too bad with the 7321, and very Steve Hackett-esque classic rock with my Artcore, but adding the sine chorus made a difference. My settings are similar to Dave's above, around .10Hz for rate, and I think 20 and 30 for depth and mix.
Like I mentioned here, the P-Ball model is very versatile and reacts very nicely to different guitars with different tonal characters. Even sounds good when you run a synth through it!

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to find most of the standard models a bit lacking. I ended up sticking to the JMP-1 for lead and the Soldano for rhythm. I too couldn't get the Treadplate to sound good.
I've had the Metal Shop for around 4 months now, and I don't touch any of the older model set's heavy amps.
Although, on the demo I recorded with my band last year (which is still unmixed :(), I was really happy with the lead tone I got from the JMP-1, and still really like that sound, even if I won't be using it anymore.

bobbyretelle

Reaction score
i use the 1993 solo 100 head with a screamer in front of it and the 1996 brit celest v-30s cab

im pretty happy with the tone i get out of it. IMO the most natural out of the stock heavy amps

CGord

Reaction score
Going off topic, but my favorites are the Uberschall & then the 5150. I liked the Powerball at first, but haven't used it in awhile. I'm trying to get tones I like out of the Dual & Triple Rec models, but there's always something missing; seems like not enough sustain or gain or something.

demonlord78

Reaction score
Any tips for the P-Ball patch? I've using the metal pack for ages now, and of all the models I can never get the P-Ball to get a good "thunk" in the mix. It always sounds "tiny" and just lacking. A shame, because I like the TONE of it, just can't get it to play well with others.

Try the following settings as a starting point:
Drive - 65%
Bass - 60%
Mid - 45%
Treb - 85%
Pres - 85%]
Cab - Treadplate 4x12 SM57 off axis
Gate Threshold - -30
Decay - 0
Tubescreamer in front
Drive - 0
Level - 50
Tone - 70

You can here these setting at SoundClick artist: Spirit Abyss - page with MP3 music downloads The clip was unedited very rough but you get the idea.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
after using the Treadplate model for ages i got really frustrated with it, im trying to find myself a nice new tone, at the moment i seem to have found a nice sound with the Brit J-800 model though I've yet to record with it...

Nats

Reaction score
Going off topic, but my favorites are the Uberschall & then the 5150. I liked the Powerball at first, but haven't used it in awhile. I'm trying to get tones I like out of the Dual & Triple Rec models, but there's always something missing; seems like not enough sustain or gain or something.

i love your Uberschall and 5150 patches :hbang:

')