Anyone Got Any Good Indie Band Recommendations?

The Beard

Suttbex
Reaction score
Last night I came to the realization that I love indie music.
One of my friends showed me a few bands and now I actually really like it :yesway:
The band i've been listening to the most so far is The Microphones. I downloaded their "The Glow, Pt. 2" cd and it is complete genius all the way through.
This song is my favorite off the album.

I love it because it keeps your attention all the way through and i love how the guitar pans back and forth at 0:42

This is another one that I liked that my friend showed me
The Dodos - "Fools"

And I think the lyrics to this song are just plain amazing.
The Mountain Goats - "No Children"

I also happened to like this a lot as well

Anyone care to recommend me more stuff like this? :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I have never had a firm grasp of the "Indie" genre, but ill try..

Eisely

Alexander The Great

The Cribs

Edison Glass

big sal cbk

Reaction score
not big on indie myself but Bloc Party are fairly cool! they've gone fairly electro now but they're first album is indie style.

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
It's a pretty widespread genre, ranging from the folky to the downright poppy, and as you get further away from its core, you get into dangerous ground of blurring genre lines, but here's some personal favorites of mine coming right up, running the whole gamut. Also, as you'll tend to notice, a lot of the time I tend to prefer the darker stuff:

As Tall As Lions:
(Melodic, pretty, middle-paced. Not too folky)

Beulah:
(One of my longtime favorites, long broken up and with no good videos except live. Enjoy. Poppy, folky, melancholic, upbeat, they run the whole gamut)

Blonde Redhead:
(Dark, female vox, very pretty)

Calla:
(Borders on.. sexy? Melancholic, no folk influence at all, almost dark rock)

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
The Decemberists:
(Quite folky, somewhat melancholic)

Phoenix:
(Didn't dig their early stuff, new stuff is nice and upbeat)

Silversun Pickups:
(A little dark, pretty poppy at times)

We Are Scientists:
(Varying, but tends to be more upbeat, not too dark)

EDIT: Clearly I will have forgotten some peoples' favorite indie bands, but these are my longtime favorites and whatever's currently in my playlist rotation. Just a disclaimer. Enjoy good indie!

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool to see Tallest Man on Earth in the OP! :yesway: He went to the same music school as me, I don't know him personally but I know a lot of his friends, ex-bandmates etc. And we had the same guitar teacher :lol: I would not call him indie at all though. I'd say that's folk music you got there :cool:

Another awesome indie band from my area is Mando Diao. These guys I do know personally, as I'm in a band with the lead singer's sister, and he and the bass player produced/engineered our record :) These guys have so much soul and vibe, love their stuff! And Björn's a sick vocalist at that.

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if dredg is classified as indie in the grand scheme of things, but nevertheless I think they've got some good stuff.

Reaction score
+1 for Blonde Redhead and Dredg. great bands...

Minus the Bear is probably my favorite "indie" band. Creative, catchy math rock with really good songs.

Some other random stuff I like (in no particular order) that people might call indie:

Elliott Smith
Iron & Wine
Explosions in the Sky
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
A Silver Mt. Zion
The Album Leaf
Russian Circles
Circa Survive
Radiohead
Cave In
Her Space Holiday
Lite
Grails
Mogwai
Mono
Murder by Death
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Decemberists
Q and Not U
Red Sparowes
This Will Destroy You
The Shins

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Love these guys :

Jukebox the Ghost

Aside from them, pretty much my norms have been mentioned but to echo :

Phoenix
Eisley
The Decemberists
Cursive (another good one)
Minus the Bear
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Of Montreal (similar vocals to Phoenix, but music is fucking out there)

Etc...

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I'm proud of you guys. Nobody has posted the Shins. They are literally the most boring band to ever exist. I don't know how they do it, but they manage to suck what little bit of soul there is in "shoe-gazer" indie.

I can tolerate most any band, but the Shins make me want to kill myself.

Nats

Reaction score
She and Him, but only because i'm in love with zoe deschanel

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
I'm proud of you guys. Nobody has posted the Shins. They are literally the most boring band to ever exist. I don't know how they do it, but they manage to suck what little bit of soul there is in "shoe-gazer" indie.

I can tolerate most any band, but the Shins make me want to kill myself.

Heh, sooo much good indie in this thread, and while the Shins were mentioned as an afterthought somewhere I thought, I've gotta say, their first album was fantastic. It's everything past that which went to a boring pile of shit.

I, personally, am SUPER happy nobody has said Vampire Weekend. They are the real enemy here.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I, personally, am SUPER happy nobody has said Vampire Weekend. They are the real enemy here.

I liked their first album for a little while, probably because it reminded me of my favorite non-metal album; Paul Simon's Graceland (if you listen the VW's self-titled, you can hear the elements of Afro-pop, though not as obvious as on Graceland). But their newest album is crap. They have become the epitome of style over substance. The whole Ivy-League preppy thing is wearing pretty thin.

')