Anyone got any Mind Blowing Questions?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
We wouldn't be wrong though, because we're just describing something.

No like...I don't think you're getting me. :lol: I'm not saying we'd be 'wrong' but things may not be as we see them. We'd have a 'false' view of real life. Oceans could be orange, the sky could be green, but we see it differently.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Well to me, hell is where all the fun would be. What the hell (pardon the pun) is the point of sitting around in the clouds all day if you can't do anything amusing? And yes, in my view, neither God, nor the Devil would be all "good" or all "evil". They could both be either to varying degrees.

I don't know that the Devil would be running around saving kittens from trees or anything, but he's probably an OK guy. Same with God, he's probably fucked this shit up so fucking bad anyway, that's he's probably given up and would be like the Big Lebowski. Kind of a big, bearded, aloof kind of guy you'd like to hang out around and grab a beer with.

And yeah, he wouldn't be able to judge us.

He's like Keyser Soze in a way. A spook story crooks tell their kids about... "rat on your pop, and Keyser Soze will get ya".

And like *that* he vanishes into thin air...

Nobody's ever seen him since.

The way I see this particular idea, is that there is the possibility for Good or Evil in God and in the "Devil", Satan, Lucifer, whatever. It's just that half of the energy +/- is either ignored or that either side is used for its longterm effect on the balance of order and chaos because of the ability to see the infinite longterm effects. Good and Evil are still human concepts... Concievably God could do something that we would see as evil to affect some greater good that we don't understand. Trying to understand the motives of such a type of entity is futile due the human's lack of any relative longevity in the grand scheme of things. Along this train of thought, how do we know that God and the Devil aren't two names for the same entity, divided into two so that a primitive culture can digest it as a non-paradox?

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Vampire: I do get what you're saying because I've thought about it a lot myself. What I'm saying, though, is that blue, green, red, etc are all descriptions we give to things, and if the tree outside of my house is actually red, but all humans think its green, we're just describing red as green, and that's fine because there's no such thing as red or green. Our interpretation is the only thing that produces words like green and red to begin with.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying. For example we count objects or sequences with real numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, an alien race or some different kind of intelligence may count using irrational numbers, to them 1, 2, 3, 4 would merely be gaps or anomalies.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Vampire: I do get what you're saying because I've thought about it a lot myself. What I'm saying, though, is that blue, green, red, etc are all descriptions we give to things, and if the tree outside of my house is actually red, but all humans think its green, we're just describing red as green, and that's fine because there's no such thing as red or green. Our interpretation is the only thing that produces words like green and red to begin with.

Well everything does have a true colour, just like I said our interpretation would be untrue. The words we choose are irrelevant.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Is there anyone on these boards that can top Jeff when it comes to physics?

Could Tony Iommi crush Chuck Norris with the power of his E5 chord?

Why do people dream about a given scenario and then that scenario actually comes to pass? (this has happened to me numerous times and freaked me out)
-also why is it that only trivial things like random conversations come to pass and not cool shit like me getting a brand new Engl Powerball II head and Vader 4x12?

How does the nose knows where the hos goes?

Could a group of retarded monkeys write better scripts for tv shows than the tripe I've seen on Fox recently? (my guess is yes, but then my mind is blown because of the fact that retarded monkeys are able to write better scripts than the tripe I've seen on Fox recently....)

Can a mute person have tourettes? If so, then how do they spastically converse?

If mind is over matter, then is the whole matter beneath my mind?

groph

Reaction score
Heres my list:

1. What would it be like to have 360 degree vision? Could you really see all sides of an object at once? What does that even MEAN?

Pretty fucking crazy I'd imagine. As we are now, I wonder how we'd walk in a straight line. I guess you'd still be able to maintain your body's orientation though. Having that kind of vision would take up a LOT of brainpower.

This question about colors is asked a lot.. Basically, if you see green and it's actually the way i see orange, we both understand the same color to be green no matter what it looks like to each of us.

Colors are measurable as wavelengths and we have evolved rods and cones in our eyes to detect them. Aside from colorblind people, it's pretty much scientifically proven that everybody percieves color in the same way.

...there's no such thing as yellow, just something we call yellow...

In the same sense that we could have called yellow "barcelona", then no, there isn't such a thing.

1. How could we set up communication with an alien race if we were to ever make first contact?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Colors are measurable as wavelengths and we have evolved rods and cones in our eyes to detect them. Aside from colorblind people, it's pretty much scientifically proven that everybody percieves color in the same way.

Thats the point, what is the universal way all humans percieved colour was actually incorrect? What if we saw yellow, but in reality something was pink? We know what yellow is because we can associate certain visual properties with its position in the colour chart (the RBG ratio it has etc). But what we think we see, might be different from reality.

The Somberlain

Hollow Man
Reaction score
Can a mute person have tourettes? If so, then how do they spastically converse?

If mind is over matter, then is the whole matter beneath my mind?

I'll answer two:

Tourettes applies to any involuntary response, physical or vocal, that is beyond the normal involuntary responses

David Hume essentially disproved this in An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, but we are slaves to our perception, so anything goes...

Since we are a logocentric species, is all we know symbols and words, or do we really know and understand the wider universe?

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I really don't see what you're getting at. :scratch: It doesn't work with anything other than colour.

That is what I'm getting at. If somehow our perception of things was flawed such that colors were not what they seem to us, our perception would have to be off in other ways as well. Not to say that we interpret everything perfectly, but what is it about color that would make it an exception?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
That is what I'm getting at. If somehow our perception of things was flawed such that colors were not what they seem to us, our perception would have to be off in other ways as well. Not to say that we interpret everything perfectly, but what is it about color that would make it an exception?

Ah I see what you mean man. That I couldn't explain, I don't know why it would happen, there are a lot of different ways it could. Colours are just visual aspects that we associate terms with, and aen't tangiable things (you can't hold green, or isolate some yellow in the true sense). Our eyes are actually very poorly designed as eyes go, so it could be the way we interact with light physics, our biology, who knows. I'm just saying in theory, if we didn't percieve colours truly, it would mess my head up.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Regarding the 360 degree vision, for a few years I had a pair of glasses which had mirrored surfaces on the inside at the edges farthest from the nose, not visible from the point of view of others. I always knew what was going on around me, and it just kind of incorporated into my view of the world.

What was funny was, in the same way you might get out of the way of someone walking in your direction when you can see them normally, I would move in that same way with objects and people behind me. Friends sometimes remarked that it was creepy that I always knew what was going on behind me.

I don't have anything like this anymore, but things which I glance behind me still get incorporated into my worldview, and a few coworkers have commented on my talking to people behind me who just walked up, without ever appearing to look behind me.

----

Here's some observations, and then a few related questions.

Normally, humans don't just wander off and leave their babies. They love their babies, and feel driven to take care of them by that love.

We can also observe cats and dogs taking care of their young, and since we can also see those cats and dogs dreaming and thinking much as we do, we assume that those cats and dogs love their offspring, and us as well.

We also see chickens care for their eggs, and then care for their chicks.

And, of course, anyone who has seen "March of the Penguins" has seen the grief which overcame the mother who had lost her chick.

So, here's the questions:

Does an ant love its queen?

Does a squid, octopus and python love its eggs when it is tending them so carefully?

')