"Anyone happy with their setup and not constantly gear flipping?"

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Don't really jones for amps since (like many here) I bought an Axe II.

Couple guitars I want but nothing I really need to have. I went thru 20 last year looking for certain things for heavy, and found it with an Ibby baritone.

Think it'd be cool to have something one of the 'do it yourself' guys on here built. SSO has been a good forum for me and it'd be a nice memento.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Preciousyetvicious

Reaction score
Pretty much. I'm just going through a "Whatever" kinda phase with it, where I still have my Axe Fx Standard and guitars that I used for when I played in bands, but I'm not playing in any at the moment so I'm all, "Whatever," about it. I also have an acoustic rig that consists of a Godin nylon and a Fishman Loudbox mini with just a tuner, Dano Delay, and a booster on the pedal board. Very simple, and I'm pretty satisfied.

Occasionally I'll see a guitar on eBay and be all, "Oooh, that looks nice. I bet it would be nice to have, too." But then my inner frugal voice of reason is all, "Oh, but whatever would you need to have that for? Just fix the broken guitars you have already!"

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Yes, totally happy with my setup but still flip gear. Lately it's been mainly guitars since my rig is basically perfect for me. I'm using a hafler T3 tube preamp for dirt, Pod for FX and cleans (and all the switching), and Mesa 50/50 to power it all, along with a Korg rack tuner, amp gizmo to control the Hafler from the pod, and a furman. Works great for playing varying types of music with lots of FX required. Still, i plan to swap out my power amp for a new Garland 1u 6L6 unit, just because it would be cool to have a 1u tube power amp that is not EL84 based.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I definitely WANT more things, but I can coax pretty damn good sounds out of my Carvin VL100. the internet says it's not for metal, but it growls like a filthy beast with a pharaoh and rat king in front of it. RIFFZ.

The internet... :rofl:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Don't really jones for amps since (like many here) I bought an Axe II.

Couple guitars I want but nothing I really need to have. I went thru 20 last year looking for certain things for heavy, and found it with an Ibby baritone.

Think it'd be cool to have something one of the 'do it yourself' guys on here built. SSO has been a good forum for me and it'd be a nice memento.

Dude, do it. I had a hobbyist here build me an axe and I freakin' love it. In fact, I do believe another member had a guitar built based off the same aesthetic and in roughly the same vein (they got a bright orange Rhoads V 7 and I ended up with a bright orange Kelly 7).

I was actually thinking about putting up a thread about something like that. There's a thread showing off builds done by SSO members, but I think it might be kind of cool to have a thread where people could post ideas for specs and if any of the hobbyist members felt comfortable taking the job on, they could PM people or something.

Not sure if that would get messy or not, though, so I held off.

rokket2005

Reaction score
There are definitely things gearwise that I'd like to have, but the stuff I do have is really nice, and I tend to not sell things very often. As is the case I have like 14 guitars, 5 amps, 3 synths, and some nice recording equipment and mics. What I really wish I had was more time.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
I only flip gear out of necessity. Hopefully, I'll be in a job situation pretty soon that will make it to where I'll only have to flip gear if I run out of room :lol:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I don't acquire new gear very often (being poor helps :lol:) , but I should really get a new amp someday, my little practice box is... not fantastic, to say the least.

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;4384933 said:
I don't acquire new gear very often (being poor helps :lol:) , but I should really get a new amp someday, my little practice box is... not fantastic, to say the least.

ycKphzX.jpg

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
The only thing I seriously want super bad right now is a Kiesel V7 and maybe upgrade my audio interface soon too, but amps/cabs/pedals/etc. I am all pretty good with most of that stuff.
ENGL Invader 150
Axe-Fx II
Vader 4x12
Mesa 2x12
I think I can make do with that hahaha

Darren James

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my set up

Kemper>powered monitor
Mesa Dual Rec>orange 4x12
Fender blues jr
Starlet amp from the 60's
Vox Brian May
Plus I have a Mesa 4x12 that I'm thinking of pairing with a mesa Mark v 25

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I've bought almost nothing guitar related for more than a year (just strings, picks, cleaning supplies, and a midi controller pedal).

Largely due to an international move that necessitated paring things down to the minimum, but also because shortly before that, I finally got an Axe-Fx, which really obviates most amp/effects purchases I consider, and a custom (OAF) 8-string, basically rounding out my guitar needs.

The setup now: OAF 8-string, Ibanez UV7BK Green Dot, a couple Parkers into the Axe-Fx II, into some nice JBL powered monitors. I have a bunch more stuff in storage back in the US, but I'm liking the simplicity of my setup for now.

That said, I'm still tempted to pick up an Ibanez M80M and/or SRC6. So far, I've resisted, but I probably can't hold out forever.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I recently sold off a lot of stuff and kept what I actually want to use and 1 backup.
RG7321 (had since '04)
ARZ307 (had since '13)
backup AX7521 (since May 2015)

As far as the rest, I've been using JamUp as my main everything amp since 2012.

I think my time of flipping gear is over :)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'm really happy with my current "main" setup. The only thing I've changed in the last year or so has just been a couple of pedals and upgraded cables. Upgraded my tuner, replaced an OD, went from a racked to pedal compressor, swapped an EQ pedal for a dedicated lo-fi, and added a phase 90 for fun :) been using the same amp/cab/switching setup for a good while now; 5153 mini, Mesa Traditional 4x12, GCX/GCP. I love it every day :wub:

My "B" setup, however, is the one that I'm constantly thinking about changing or adding to. Right now it's a 6505 2x12 combo, tuner, OD, single gate, delay, reverb, and amp footswitch. I'll eventually be adding another gate, maybe an EQ, and want to someday build a combination amp switcher and true bypass looper pedal for that setup. Someday, hopefully soon, but none of it is really a priority.

vick1000

Reaction score
Define "constantly".

I am very happy with my setup right now, I was happy with the one before it, and the one before that. The question is, can I be happier with my next one? There is always something "better" out there it seems, and I wish to aquire it, even if it's just a fantasy that it may be better.

That is the curse of Gear Aquisition Syndrom.

Hello: My name is Vick, and I have GAS.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Flipping, not so much recently - I went through a lot of guitars last year to find a good stable that I was happy with keeping. I do have GAS for a few more things, but I make do without the AxeFXII and USA Schecters.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I've never been much for change for change's sake. Any major changes in my rig are generally part of a progression towards a well-defined goal.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
In some ways. My guitars, for the most part, remain stable, inasmuch as I'll find a guitar I like that fills a certain role and generally hold onto it forever. I've gone through a surprising number of acoustics in the last 5 years, but don't see myself upgrading for quite some time. I'm also set on banjos for the foreseeable future, unless I find a crazy deal on another RB800 or some such; I have my custom mandolin that I will never, ever sell, but might get a second, or different members of the mandolin family. The main category of instruments that I typically sell is things that I bought just to have, because it was cheap enough, or because it was something that just seemed like something I should own. The tenor banjo I just traded recently fell into that category, and hopefully the Stick I got for it won't as well. I owned a Michael Kelly all-solid archtop acoustic for a while, but didn't have much use for it, etc.

Amps are a completely different story. I have, more times than I prefer to think about, worked towards a rig that seemed like the ultimate solution to what I want my rig to do, and invariably find some reason that I'm not satisfied with it, or learn about a piece of equipment that can replace multiple pieces of gear, and before I know it every component of my rig is different. My current rig is the simplest it's been in a very long time, and does basically everything I want, but who knows how that will last. The most likely reason for me to change right now is that Roland releases an even more powerful guitar synth than the VG99, but I don't know if that's going to happen any time soon.

edit: I just check the gear details in my profile, and more than half of the gear listed, I either no longer own or plan on selling.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
It took me over ten years of flipping gear and chasing something "special" just to realize that the best gear for me = Fender + Marshall. Doh! :lol:

I've got a seven on the way from our friends in Poland (RAN) and a couple of special guitars I'd like to get just for fun (SRV & Jeff Beck Models, Carvin HH1) but otherwise I'm pretty much GAS free right now, guitarwise. And I'm trying hard NOT to get into the "new pedal a day" scene.. tuner, OD, delay, Wah.. that's all I need. Right? :ugh:

')