"Anyone happy with their setup and not constantly gear flipping?"

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Im constantly tweaking. Thats why I would be crazy to get an Axe Fx. I would spend 90% of the time tweaking and 10% playing.

Im bad enough with my Pod HD and its options.

I've never had an HD, but back when I used the XT and then TonePort, I was always tweaking, however with the Axe FX II, I rarely do any tweaking, since there is usually nothing wrong that needs fixing. I rarely go past the basic amp EQ. It was a worry of mine before I got it though.

YMMV.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Im constantly tweaking. Thats why I would be crazy to get an Axe Fx. I would spend 90% of the time tweaking and 10% playing.

Im bad enough with my Pod HD and its options.

I've never had an HD, but back when I used the XT and then TonePort, I was always tweaking, however with the Axe FX II, I rarely do any tweaking, since there is usually nothing wrong that needs fixing. I rarely go past the basic amp EQ. It was a worry of mine before I got it though.

YMMV.

I would agree after having a HD500 for years and a Axe-FX II.

I was always screwing with the HD500. Something always sounded off. Something always needed fixing. Cut this, move that, etc.....

With the Axe-FX II I basically bring up an amp, adjust a few controls, and I am done. Even if I need to make a large adjustment, there are EQs that work correctly to easily do it. The HD500 EQs suck.

With the old Axe-FX Standard I had to tweak more, but it is much easier on the Axe-FX II.

Spinedriver

Reaction score

YMMV.

I was like that with the XTL when I had it. Every time I plugged in, something sounded just a little 'off'. I'd mess around with the eq section a bit and finally settle but it started all over once my ears rested a bit.

Ever since I got my GSP1101 however, once I loaded in some 3rd party IRs, the only eq-ing I do outside of the amp settings themselves is on my Zoom B3 where I have a Sonic Maximizer clone and a "hi/low pass eq" set up so that I can click 'em on depending on which amp I'm using.

lewis

Reaction score
thats interesting guys /\
Ive assumed that more options means more tweaking, didnt think that it could just be the POD sounding poor in places that means constant tweaking.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
thats interesting guys /\
Ive assumed that more options means more tweaking, didnt think that it could just be the POD sounding poor in places that means constant tweaking.

If you're the kind of guy that tweaks for the sake of tweaking, then you may well be constantly tweaking. However I usually quit turning knobs when I feel the sound is 'there.' What I realized is that I never felt like the sound was 'there' with my Pod. I would get used to it when playing, and I would be happy with the sound, but the next day, with fresh ears, it would be back to tweaking.

geekusa

Reaction score
Amp wise I have used the Fryette Pittbull 100CL for 5+ years. Used a Vader 412 for 4 years and recently switched to a Fatbottom 412. I would like to get another head like the ENGL Blackmore or Fryette D120, but I wouldn't sell or trade my Pittbull to get them. That amp has really helped me find my style and voice. The unforgiving nature of its tone has also made me a better player. Guitar wise I usually only buy a guitar if I am fairly certain I am going to play it consistently, so I don't end up buying/selling many guitars.

Gear is very important to finding your voice and maximizing your tone and enjoyment with the instrument, but it does seem like many players spend way to much time fiddling with and swapping gear trying to find some magic sound. I'm rarely 100% pleased with my tone, but I have more fun and am more productive when I just play rather than fiddling with settings endlessly. And sometimes you think you nail a super sweet tone alone and then it just doesn't jive with the rest of the band's mix.

mesaboogie6l6

Reaction score
Been playing Mesa since 91' Gibson since 98'.

Mesa Mark III Coliseum
Mesa DC-5B
Mesa studio pre
Mesa 50/50
Mesa Triple RevF (2)
Mesa Dual RevF
Mesa 4X12B EVM12L
Mesa 4X12A V30
Mills 4X12B V30 with Mesa V30
Mills 4X12 V30

Gibson Explorer
Gibson Flying V faded
Gibson Flying V Government
Epiphone Custom Les Paul Prophecy

I want to try KSR and PRS, Diezel, Engl

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Digging my setup hard lately. Was just thinking about this last night and got a little giddy about how much cool .... I get to play with every day.

Sick baritone, 2 really good LPs, a 74 Strat, an EVH Stealth, a bass, couple LTDs that are really solid, Peavey Bandit for the SS brootz and an Axe II. I'm stoked about my current situation and happier with my stable and tones than I've been in a long time.

Still on the lookout for a cool 7 and a really comfy 8, but those will come when it's time...ain't rushing it. This is a way cool feeling...first time in a long time with no GAS.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Guitar-wise...I'm done flipping as I'm very happy with the three PRS SE guitars that I have currently. My only fear is the want to accumulate more, especially with the SE Standards now available.

Amp-wise...is a different story. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever be satisfied until I have THE amp. For a few weeks, that amp was the PRS Archon 25 until, not just one but two Archons, failed on me. Part of me still want the Archon as it is a glorious sounding amp, but I just might go postal if a third Archon fail me (I won't, but still...). Until then, my tone chase continues.

Itchyman

Reaction score
I don't necessarily flip guitars, but instead just keep buying more of them. I think I've settled (at least for now) on the Edwards Cherry Sunburst LP w/EMG57 66 and Axe FX Ultra as the main pieces in my rig. I've got 12 other guitars to play, should I so choose.. And in a few more weeks, a Ken Lawrence 7 (!!!).

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
My father has been through about 20 guitars and 15 amps over the past 2 years.....................3 guitars in the month of may!

Demiurge

Reaction score
I have a pedals-based setup, so I just keep adding... can't say it's better than flipping :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
If you're the kind of guy that tweaks for the sake of tweaking, then you may well be constantly tweaking. However I usually quit turning knobs when I feel the sound is 'there.' What I realized is that I never felt like the sound was 'there' with my Pod. I would get used to it when playing, and I would be happy with the sound, but the next day, with fresh ears, it would be back to tweaking.

Honestly, what helps me is I have "tweak days".

Some days when I mess with my guitar equipment, my sole purpose is to tweak. Have fun. Make weird noises. I will connect my laptop and just sit and mess with settings while screwing around on the guitar.

Other days are "play days". I wont connect my computer. I wont focus on the sound. I turn on the gear and just play. I refuse to sit and mess with settings.

Shask

Reaction score
Digging my setup hard lately. Was just thinking about this last night and got a little giddy about how much cool .... I get to play with every day.

Sick baritone, 2 really good LPs, a 74 Strat, an EVH Stealth, a bass, couple LTDs that are really solid, Peavey Bandit for the SS brootz and an Axe II. I'm stoked about my current situation and happier with my stable and tones than I've been in a long time.

Still on the lookout for a cool 7 and a really comfy 8, but those will come when it's time...ain't rushing it. This is a way cool feeling...first time in a long time with no GAS.

What other LTDs do you have? I know the Gus, but what others.....

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Well I basically have two rigs at this point, which is fine with me. Every since I got my Peavey 3120 from another forumer on here, I've had such a friggin' awesome guitar rig. I really doubt that I'd ever trade it, unless someone gave me an insanely lopsided deal in my favor, like wanting a Powerball II or Fryette UL for it. Since I'm not optimistic to the point of insanity, I figure this is basically the best tone I can get for right now. And I'm okay with that since it really does sound amazing with the guitars that I have.

I admit I am going through a little bit of a guitar flip deal since I traded off my Loomis, just because I'm still looking for the right guitar to accompany my V-307. I'm thinking maybe a Jackson Kelly 6/7 would fit the bill nicely.

Also, for effects, I'm just gonna grab another Pod HD floor unit of some kind. The only reason I gave up the one I had was just so that I could pay for court costs that I had at the time. I still miss how easy it was to get good guitar tones for recording out of those.

As far as cabs go, my Carvins are exactly what I want and need. The fact that I got them for such a good deal would've been enough to keep them, but they take my Peavey amp and make it the aural equivalent of an entire US armored division bearing down on anyone nearby.

Now for bass stuff, that's a different story. I'm happy with the cab and amp that I have, but I'm gonna have to start flipping mad gear before I feel completely comfortable with what I have.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
As far as amps and pedals go, I'm solid. I just downsized, but I went from a 100 watt 5153 to a 50 watt 5153. Every 3 or 4 years I go on a bit of a pedal hunt, but usually it's trying to get more from less pedals. I am no longer boosting in front or EQing in back, so that makes life simpler.
But guitars? I've finally got a stable that I'm really happy with and the mecca of dream guitars (ESP Custom Shop Horizon) in the works. BUT even though I absolutely love what I have, I still find myself looking. And looking a lot. I'm holding fast though! Kind of...

KailM

Reaction score
My main rig has been a 6505+ 112 (converted into a head and heavily modified, lol) for the last 5 years. Now, if I actually had any money, I'd have probably added to my collection, but I don't. I'm not really a gear "flipper," I'm more of a gear hoarder.:)

As for my tonal needs, I primarily play high-gain stuff and I have yet to find anything that sounds more monstrous than my 6505, especially after all the mods I've done. And I've tried quite a few more expensive amps. In my opinion, mine still spanks them when it comes to pure brutality. (Haven't tried an Uberschall or some of the Diezels yet though...). Plus I have a Vypyr head for when I want super-nice cleans and to play around with effects. The only effects I use with my 6505 are delay and reverb.

Latest posts

')