"Anyone happy with their setup and not constantly gear flipping?"

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Doing multiple bands and sessions forced me to get an extensive collection early on. Didn't help that I was playing multiple instruments. All that changed when I quit music for a year. But once I got back in, I extended my collection exponentially, due to recording a solo album, and extending my session clientele, both studio and live.

I've been fortunate that I haven't sold by the bulk load. With the exception of a Charvel SoCal that I needed to fund an album, and a Whammy 4 that I sold to my guitarist after upgrading to a Whammy DT and Bass Whammy for respective instruments.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My pre-1996 rig:
Washburn MG24B into Crate GX

My 1996-1998 rig:
Fender Tele into Fender Princeton

My 1998-2002 rig:
Ibanez RG7620 into Dual Recto

My 2002-2006 rig:
BC Rich USA MB7 into Dual Recto

My 2006-present rig:
Oni CF8 into Dual Recto

5 different main setups (but only three amps) in 24 years. I think that's pretty not bad

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
Yep!! Krankenstein Plus with Genz Benz G-Flex 412 loaded with Eminence Governors. Flip-flop between boosting it or not boosting it. Sometimes a like an overdrive in front and amp gain at 3.5, sometimes I prefer it straight in with amp gain like 5.5. But either way, for me is the perfect amp!!

Or at home I use my old Peavey Butcher with K85 loaded matching cab, always boosted with either a Bad Monkey or TS7. This is my bedroom rig, loudest practice amp ever haha. But sounds great.

Aside from that the only thing that changes with me is my guitars. Some days I prefer my Ibanez AX7 with EMTY at the bridge, sometimes I prefer my EMG 707 loaded Warlock 7, some days my Samick "strat" 7 string with blackout ahb-1 at the bridge.

Now that I have my Dean Evo7 which I am keeping passive and putting a Nazgul in the bridge, that should be an interesting addition to my rig. It's not necessary to have a ton of guitars, but I think having several different ones with different types of tones helps you to not lose interest in the tone of your rig. At least for me

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Generally I don't change my main amp that much, just every now and again. I am generally happy and when it comes to amps just have 1-2 main ones, then a few squirrelled away for recording (and for mod purposes).

Guitars I still have issues with but much less so than before, I am starting to consolidate by getting rid of guitars I don't play and just "have" lying about into nice amps or guitars.

These days I am not going through 10-15 guitars a year anymore, when i was doing that it was a bit insane!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The last year or so has been pretty insane for me with tons of buy/sell/trading of amps, pedals, guitars, etc. but I've found myself pretty well satisfied with what I have right now.

If anything is going to change soon, it'll more than likely just be adding stuff to my arsenal rather than swapping out or trading. I could easily see myself selling/trading my Deliverance cab for a straight-front Recto 4x12 or Fatbottom or my OD9 for an OD9 Pro+, but that's pretty much it. I already have more than enough gear, but all of it is stuff that I'll rotate in and out of my main rig depending on my mood/application. I just can't help the fact there will always be something else out there that I want to try :lol:

As far as guitars go, I recently decided that I'm not going to be messing with mid-grade guitars to mod anymore (other than my DKMG, 7620, and RG5EX1 that I'm never getting rid of for sentimental reasons) and just go with Carvin or similar high-end guitars from now on. At one point last year, I was at 8 total guitars but found myself only regularly playing my two Carvins and 7620 regularly, so I sold/traded two other guitars that I had picked up as modding platforms and a Les Paul that I got in another trade. I'm back down to 5 guitars including the sentimental ones and am currently planning out another Carvin build for later this year. I play my TL60 like 80% of the time, so I think it makes sense to get another Carvin 6 with different specs to spice things up.

Basically, I went through a huge flipping phase and have now entered the glorious hoarding phase :D

Genome

Reaction score
Several times I've said to myself and others "I'm 100% done now" and "I don't think I'll ever sell this guitar/amp" and 6 months later I'm trading or selling it to fund something new.

I'm learning to not say that anymore and embrace the revolving door as just a fun part of being a musician :lol:

')