Anyone Have Experience with Lace Pickups?

• Thread starter HellGamer666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HellGamer666

Reaction score
Was cruising the interwebs when I came across Bill Kelliher's (Mastodon) guitar rig and how he uses Lace pickups in some of his guitars. Naturally, I went to the Lace Music site and saw that artists such as Eric Clapton, Cheap Trick and Every Time I Die use these pickups to some degree. Lace has a pretty extensive pickup catalogue and I was just curious if anyone had any experience with them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dcm81

Reaction score
No personal experience but I've only heard good things about them. Just check out all the Tube vids, there's tonnes of them.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Well I have the Kelliher explorer and it just sounds phenomenal. Those pickups are really good. The pickups in it were custom made for that series, though. They're dubbed "nitro hemi" but a Lace rep here told they were custom made for that series. If the "regular" black nitro hemis are as good they're on my list for the next pickup upgrade.

lumii_au

Reaction score
I've got a pair of drop and gains in my 6 string, and an X-bar to put into my 7 when I finish building it.
My experience with the drop and gains has been awesome! Notes ring clear and punchy even in full chords on moderate distortion, and no matter how low the tuning (currently in drop A and still sounds fine).
There isn't a lot of tone colouring with these pickups, but that suits me as I like to mess with that with pedals and in my DAW.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well I have the Kelliher explorer and it just sounds phenomenal. Those pickups are really good. The pickups in it were custom made for that series, though. They're dubbed "nitro hemi" but a Lace rep here told they were custom made for that series. If the "regular" black nitro hemis are as good they're on my list for the next pickup upgrade.

From what I understand, the difference between the Golden Axe Nitro Hemis and the standard Nitro Hemis are the gold covers, which are only available on the Kelliher sig, although Lace was selling some surplus gold NH's.

Lace Music Products

Reaction score
From what I understand, the difference between the Golden Axe Nitro Hemis and the standard Nitro Hemis are the gold covers, which are only available on the Kelliher sig, although Lace was selling some surplus gold NH's.

You are correct my friend, Bill wanted his pickups gold plated specifically for the Golden Axe. BUT we are currently in the works on designing a signature Bill Kelliher pickup with Bill's tonal choice! Its gonna be a game changer for any guitar! :shred:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I do... I like them a lot.

I've used the 4" xbars (in my RG8 that member Combustion now owns)

I also currently use the DB7/HB7 combo in my ARZ307.

VERY articulate. They lean toward the bright side but not harsh with proper EQ. The ones sporting the "death" prefix are similar tonally to the xbar and humbucker but noticeably more aggressive.

wakjob

Reaction score
Alumitone Deathbucker 6 user here. Also tried the regular Alumitone Humbucker and the single coils.

Friggin' awesome product. Very full but clear sounding at the same time.

stuglue

Reaction score
I bought a pair of deathbucker pickups off a guy on eBay. Got them installed in my ESP and wow, going from the muddy far too hot EMG to these high output yet crystal clear monsters was amazing. I would recommend them all day long

Iron Beard

Reaction score
I had a lace deathbar in a 7 string I had it became one of my favorite pickups. very clean sounding. I had to turn the gain up some on my amp compared to the other pickups I use but the tone was amazing.

Dog Bitten

Reaction score
I've got a Deathbucker in my Bich. I agree with wakjob; it's thick, dark even, but extremely articulate under huge amounts of gain. I like it a lot, but it doesn't sound quite like a regular passive humbucker, which i suppose is the attraction.

stuglue

Reaction score
Hi guys I've got a pair of the gold Bill Kelliher Lace Nitro Hemi pickups for sale in the UK.
I'm looking for £120 for the set

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score
I got a Deathbar(B) Xbar(N) combo in my Carvin DC 800,
and I never regretted the swap.

I am actually thinking of swapping the pu's in my Agile 7 from Aftermath(B) and Coldsweat(N) to Xbars only ...

the bars are the quickest pickups I had yet, and their dynamicsand clarity are amazing, a lot of people don't like them for their very own character though. but If you know how to work with this, they are awesome and very versatile.
their cleans are the best I've heard of a non-piezo yet

gclef

Reaction score
I had a red/silver/blue set in my strat plus deluxe and have a regular hemi set with a hot gold in the middle in my hardtail partscaster.

I like/d all except the blue. That was ok, just a bit muddy and dull.

They don't sound like regular pickups thats for sure

Promit

Reaction score
I've been running the Xbar/Deathbar combo in my Agile Multiscale for two weeks now and they're very good. Don't know that they're necessarily way better than the regular kind but I do like them a lot. The half pound weight reduction was actually a noticeable change, which was surprising. And they are clear, and quiet. Took me a bit to find the best height for them; an email to Lace straightened that out. They don't like to be close to the strings.

The Deathbar is more aggressive but also gains a noticeable mid spike that can get nasal for clean tones if you don't ease up mids at the amp a bit. Really helps maintain clarity under gain though.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
Are the any Laces for what's described here JB in the bridge isn't really getting the job for tech metal or anything heavier than Metallica and I'm not a fan of the treble the pickup has but love the mids it has. Could anynody recommend me a darker sounding pickup with more low end, smoother highs, but with the same mids? I was thinking of maybe something like a P.A.F on steroids with a gloomier type sound but with some bite, think GNR with Necrophagist type solos ala Diminished to B, as you see can I play variety of music if that helps as well. I know it' not my thread but I'm interested in Lace pickups.

')