Anyone heard from Sherman lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
FYI, Sean got one of his guitars today.

Epic NGD (Snake inside ;) )

Glad to see he is working on them, even if the deadlines are long gone. Hopefully the rest of you guys see something soon. (FWIW, my guitar has been over two years now as well, and I was given the same deadlines as everyone else).

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
More BULLSHIT from Mike Sherman. He once again for the 14th time didn't hold up on his word. Ive been hearing the same BULLSHIT from this liar for over 4 years now. Im starting to think that his whole illness thing a couple years ago was complete BULLSHIT as well.

3 years ago he was sick. Then the following year the weather wasn't cooperating for the finish. For nearly 2 more years now its been "next month", "next month", "should be outta here within a few weeks" over and over and over again.

I was quoted 6 months in Feb '09 so I paid $1700 50% deposit. That's 4 years ago! I received pics of my guitar painted and done except for clear coat and electronics in early May '09. I was told it should be done by early June '09. This guy is so full of shit I don't know what to think. Maybe he has a Cocaine addiction? I dont know, my mind is running wild here.

Overtone

Reaction score
Hang in there man! I hope it all works out for the best for you. I never quite figured out his situation but it does seem like there is that cycle... when he's not having some kind of misfortune it's not the right weather to clearcoat, etc.. I think for the number of guitars he has waiting for clearcoat he should be more willing to get some help for that part of the process or give customers the choice to have someone else do it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
I've had instruments that have been 'ready for clearcoat' since 2007. It's not a backup problem, unfortunately.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't even heard from him at all aside from that spam e-mail awhile ago. I've tried every option to get my partially finished guitar from him. He doesn't answer e-mail or phone calls. Mike is a real piece of shit.

Overtone

Reaction score
Has this gone dead? Last word I got from him was that he had some more health problems that would prevent him from working with chemicals. That was quite a while ago. If that is still the case I think it's well past time for him to get somebody else to handle the clearcoats! 4 years + now for Leo.

angus

Reaction score
Nearing 7 years for me, and the last two were with a lawyer where we'd signed and agreed to hand over the remaining instrument. Never got to the handing over part somehow. Still in the process.

Says it all really.

Whether it may be true or not, I still don't wish health problems on anyone.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Every few months I will text him and he will text back saying its going to be ready next month or in a few weeks. The latest was two months ago he said in 3 weeks it will be ready to ship. Same shit over and over. Its been 4.5 years of this.

Overtone

Reaction score
What a bummer. For a while it really seemed like things were gonna pick back up. :(

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Bit of an update here. My guitar showed up today. I'd rather not spam the thread, but if you're interested it's posted in the FS forum over on MG.

My business with Mike is concluded - best of luck to everyone else.

Overtone

Reaction score
Glad another of us made it through (well, pending the sale in your case I guess).

FWIW mine had minor finishing flaws like that too (including one by the knobs oddly enough) and small changes from the original spec (like a plastic truss rod cover and metal knobs) and some tarnishing on the frets but in terms of playability and tone it is an absolute beast. So for the price you are offering yours, with it being a multiscale guitar w/ custom made pickups and all I think someone will be getting a hell of a deal. It's just a shame to see so few getting finished, and those that do come out done seem to have those scuffs and things. I know part of the long waits was Mike wanting to go back and redo things till they were perfect, but in my case and yours at the end of the day the only way we were getting instruments was to eventually go "Ok, this little finish flaw does not justify waiting another year so he can recoat it."

angus

Reaction score
Good to hear, Chris. I'm sorry you had to go through a similar experience. No bitterness or "I told you so"'s here- it is just a rough, shitty thing and I'm sorry and sad you had to deal with it. Best of luck in the sale! In my experience they move very quickly. Thanks for the update.

Hopefully my situation concludes soon as well. Mine will not be a finished instrument, though.

In a few days it will officially be seven years.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Sherman told me hes no longer building guitars and he doesnt even know how much longer he will be here. He said he finally got a case and is going to ship me my guitar as is, which is with no hardware and probably needs buffing etc. Its been a couple of months though and I still havent gotten it, but he does respond to my texts sometimes. It will be 6 years since I sent the $1700 deposit for half, and 5 years since my guitar has been built, only needing hardware and paint.

angus

Reaction score
Wonderful. He hasn't been responding to my lawyer. 7.25 years, $7400.

Thanks for the update though. Guess I better make sure to push while I still have the chance.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
He still won't respond to me either.. very tempted to tell him exactly what I think of him but it might be bad for my karma

angus

Reaction score
For what it's worth, 9.5 years here now. I know the number is going to keep going up, but boy would I like to get the unfinished fretted bass at the very least. Sigh.

I only revive this because I got a question from someone recently looking for him to order a guitar.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Ah, I've been wondering what ever happened here. This was the first "luthier gone rogue" story from here. But, looks like Skervesen is treating you well, which is nice. Still ....ty he's not sending you your instruments, now that it's clear he's screwed every customer since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts