Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Did you just wake up one day and find yourself in a gym lifting weights and say to yourself "Fuck it, I guess I'm just gonna keep doing this" :lol:
I mean, what inspired you to start. Like self bettering, improving for a sport, to gain muscle.

Soz, only just saw this thread again !
I don't want to think it's downhill from here (in 30's) - I haven't peaked :D so I want to get strong.
Primarily for practicality, well-being and there's just something about lifting/mma that feels RIGHT !

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
So guys- I've been using ON Gold Standard for post workout, and cheap Body Fortress whey isolate in the morning and before I go to bed.

I went to the store and picked up some more Body Fortress, but got the plain whey instead of the isolate. Got home and realized that it has creatine in it.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with creatine- does this mean I shouldn't take it before bed as to not gain extra waterweight?
Also, should I take it before my workout as opposed to afterwards? I know creatine is usually a preworkout.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I mean, lol, I'm only curling 35's and it seems to be working alright:

IMG_20130322_112631_zps082f1490.jpg

I've seen so many guys doing these with 50s while the elbows move all over the place just to make it possible, and tiny arms to show for it.

It sucks that it takes most of us several years to learn how to utilize the weights as tools for building instead of just big luggy objects for moving :lol:.

Inspired, I'm going to hit some of these tonight myself :hbang:.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
So guys- I've been using ON Gold Standard for post workout, and cheap Body Fortress whey isolate in the morning and before I go to bed.

I went to the store and picked up some more Body Fortress, but got the plain whey instead of the isolate. Got home and realized that it has creatine in it.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with creatine- does this mean I shouldn't take it before bed as to not gain extra waterweight?
Also, should I take it before my workout as opposed to afterwards? I know creatine is usually a preworkout.

I'm guessing there's just a gram or two of creatine added to that, so really you should probably treat it as a regular protien sup and not as a creatine sup.
Also, you have a whey isolate (only) protein at wal-mart?
The only ones I've seen are basically 90% whey concentrate, but they throw in a pinch of isolate just so they can claim it an isolate sup.
Very deceptive practice that most brands apply.

It seems quite expensive, but if you buy the big buckets of isopure or another more pure isolate powder you actually end up paying about the same per serving as most of the lessor products in small containers.
The difference in biological value is HUGE.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
I'm guessing there's just a gram or two of creatine added to that, so really you should probably treat it as a regular protien sup and not as a creatine sup.
Also, you have a whey isolate (only) protein at wal-mart?
The only ones I've seen are basically 90% whey concentrate, but they throw in a pinch of isolate just so they can claim it an isolate sup.
Very deceptive practice that most brands apply.

It seems quite expensive, but if you buy the big buckets of isopure or another more pure isolate powder you actually end up paying about the same per serving as most of the lessor products in small containers.
The difference in biological value is HUGE.

(Other than ON) they're definitely not brands I plan on sticking with, just a broke college student at the moment and don't have much of a choice. I'll look into isopure though, thanks man.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
(Other than ON) they're definitely not brands I plan on sticking with, just a broke college student at the moment and don't have much of a choice. I'll look into isopure though, thanks man.

I know the feeling atm :lol:. I've been going sup free since last summer.
If you don't have any problems drinking milk then chugging a glass with most meals is a great natural protein booster (skim or 1% of course).

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
I know the feeling atm :lol:. I've been going sup free since last summer.
If you don't have any problems drinking milk then chugging a glass with most meals is a great natural protein booster (skim or 1% of course).

I have two (>pint) glasses of 2% (uni doesn't have 1%) with lunch and dinner daily. :)

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
OK so I have gotten a little bit stronger in the last few weeks. I am finally able to bench 176 lbs (80 kg) and soon I should be lifting my own weight in the bench bank. It feels great to see improvements after two months of training.

soliloquy

Reaction score
i just renewed my gym membership. but i'm wondering if i should do P90X. i dont want to waste my membership...but i would also like to use body weights for a brief time and work out all my supporting muscles to ultimately get stronger...

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
i just renewed my gym membership. but i'm wondering if i should do P90X. i dont want to waste my membership...but i would also like to use body weights for a brief time and work out all my supporting muscles to ultimately get stronger...

Personally I don't like that stuff but it's always worth trying out to see how you get on.
I'd recommend doing a strength training program with the basic barbell moves to get your core strength up (stronglifts is good).

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
I feel there's a difference between stuff like P90X and actual lifting in the gym. P90X to me seems useful to get you "in shape", a proper gym routine will get you bigger and stronger. If your split is good, you'll work your supporting muscles and get stronger as well, it's not like P90X is unique in that aspect.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
^I've always kind of wondered what having a woman like that in bed would be like :lol:

On topic, got back to the gym after a couple of weeks off and did a 5x5 session to get back into the swing. Feels good :D

Murmel

Reaction score
Totally mirin' her shoulders

402091897.jpg

For some reason, googling her makes me motivated as fuck :lol:

Reaction score
yea that may be the thing for me as well, motivation. What i used to think was an unattractive amount of muscle looks good to me now.

Jw. has anyone had to try to convince a girl to workout or go to the gym with you how do they usually take it? I cant think of a good way to bring it up without the girl thinking im calling her fat or out of shape or something.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
yea that may be the thing for me as well, motivation. What i used to think was an unattractive amount of muscle looks good to me now.

Jw. has anyone had to try to convince a girl to workout or go to the gym with you how do they usually take it? I cant think of a good way to bring it up without the girl thinking im calling her fat or out of shape or something.

Let her know your routine (or a routine you can think of) is hard as hell. If she likes a challenge, she'll be all over it. Maybe poke the fire a little by saying you don't think she can do it.

My wife is a bit overweight, but she motivated herself to go to the gym (mid-30s, two kids, very stressful/demanding job that offers very little accomidations for healthy eating, and a thyroid condition). I rarely have to say anything. When I feel she's slacking off, I tell her I found some new 'program' that'll kick her ass, and she's all over it. And it always kicks her ass :lol: She's goes well out of her way to do what she can, though.

These 'programs' are almost always those 'get in shape for your military PT test' things. Lots of pushups, situps (and all the variations), burpees, and air squats. I think she knows what I'm doing, but it breaks her out of her routine so things aren't so boring for a couple days. Always good to try new things every once in a while. Break up the monotony.

But, take my advice with a few hundred grains of salt. I refuse to associate with anybody that is self-conscious. And I damned sure can't be with a woman that responds to any criticism with "So you're saying I'm fat?"

...because my response is usually "...yes. Don't you own a mirror?"

Might be why my wife and I get along so well. We're fairly blunt. And both of us always strive to improve. More than once I've mentioned that I've noticed her slacking off on her cardio, or not doing enough reps, or whatever. Pisses her off, but she'll do another 15 minutes on the elliptical, or grab heavier weights.

Latest posts

')