Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Reaction score
Damn dude thanks i dont feel so bad now. It's like if a woman is self concious about her body and weight its like the easiest thing to change and it feels good imo I am a friggin magnet to these types for some reason. She ended up taking it so personally and went with another guy who she said liked her how she was and i wasnt saying i didnt like her the way she was it was just something i thought we both could do, spend time, get fit, i wasnt very motivated enough to start on my own.
I didnt get into lifting until another girl i was with basically gave me a taste of my own medicine and bluntly told me to hit the gym. So i did without thinking twice about it.:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
WARNING: RANT MODE, not directed at anybody. Just some examples, and a peek inside my mentality.

"He needs to love me for who I am, nobody will change me".

That's cool. I don't want anything to do with you unless who you are is a person that strives to constantly become a better person, and isn't someone using that phrase to justify being lazy, inconsiderate, uneducated, ignorant, or a fat sack of shit.

Are you fat? Cool, acknowledge it. Do you not want to be fat anymore? Sweet, do some fucking burpees.

Are you super skinny? Alright, acknowledge it. Do you want to not be so frail anymore? Do some fucking burpees.

Are you generally unhappy with your appearance, but take it out on others by saying "They don't love me for who I am" while being a self-loathing yet superficial, lazy husk of a person? Piss off, and while you're at it, do some fucking burpees.

Hell, my mom is 65, has stage 3B lung cancer with zero use of her right lung. Chemo every Tuesday, radiation Monday through Friday. She also does yoga every Wednesday.

She admits she got lung cancer because she smoked her whole life. The day she was diagnosed, she quit (as did most of the family), and has kept her eyes on the goal; No cancer, and get into better health.

My father is 62, had polio in his right leg (crippled his foot, and seriously hindered his ability to build muscle in his right calf) as a kid. Retired from the Army after 21 and a half years with a green beret, airborne wings, two purple hearts, combat and expert medical badges, pathfinder, Vietnam campaign ribbon, is about to retire as the fastest promoted Major in the State Department of Corrections, and holds qualifications as an FBI Hostage Negotiation Trainer.

All while having a shitty gimp leg, and has had severe arthritis in most of his joints.

No excuses, eyes on the goal; To be the absolute best at his trade that he could be. He survived Vietnam with multiple medals for Valor, became a very well respected member of the Army medical community, and even went on to help establish the Combat Lifesaver Program (the first responder program almost every soldier goes though now). He got done with the Army, and became the absolute best he could in the State Correctional system. Fastest promoted officer in history. Topped out at Major (highest officer rank), so he reached out to other agencies to learn more (FBI, Highway Patrol, Police Academy, etc).

^ That might explain why I don't usually care what peoples 'excuses' and 'reasons' are when they try to explain why they 'can't lose the weight'.

You could have a serious medical condition that causes you to gain weight easily, and makes it extremely hard to shed the pounds. My sister does, and she still gives it 100% by eating as healthy as she can, and she goes on walks 4 times a week. Running / jogging isn't a viable option. She admits that she's overweight, but she's not un-healthy. She also doesn't bitch about her weight. She used to, a few years ago when she was ~100lbs heavier, but she did something about it and has gotten to a place she can be content.

My wife has a thyroid issue that causes her to gain weight rapidly. She figured out the problem, takes her pill every morning, watches what she eats, and works her ass off at the gym. She also earned her Masters Degree while working full time and raising two kids on her own (her ex-husband was zero help, and actually a burden since he refused to help the family financially, even though one of the kids was his).

Now she works 6-7 days a week, still raising two kids (I help out as much as I possibly can..ya know...since I'm her husband...and not a fucking douche bag), and still finds time to take her happy ass to the gym.

I have no idea what I'm trying to say with this rant...but I had to get it off my chest, I figure. I hear so many people make excuses for themselves in the same breath they bitch about hating themselves for being overweight/out of shape/underweight. Never once have I heard an 'excuse' that I would classify as a 'reason' to why they can't, and I gladly share the stories of my parents, who never made excuses for SHIT, and just got shit done.

Laziness pisses me off. :lol:

EDIT:

Oh yea, the moral of the story: Accountability. If people would hold themselves accountable, this world would kick ass. Instead they blame the system, blame work, blame genetics (which in most cases they've been dealt a fine hand, genetically), blame fast food (that nobody forces them to eat), blame this, blame that...blame their boyfriend for calling them fat and depressing them.

Never blaming themselves. Shame.

And if you read this entire thing, do some fucking burpess :lol:

Reaction score
yea that was pretty epic dude i agree, Id love to be able to be honest about that with women without them getting all butthurt. By far the worst excuse i have ever heard was this woman i was kind of into that actually believe her astrological placements, like zodiac/retrograde/ moons n shit caused her to gain weight/ couldnt loose it.:spock: She was attractive funny and smart but that mentality just completely turned me off. I felt kind of bad but completely stopped talking to her [ we were both into astrology but ever since i heard that i said fuck astrology]. I can only imagine how you'd handle that excuse:lol:
Im used to self conscious women [its always usually a mole or scar or something they cant get over] i should be a certified therapist by now
I feel like i got off to a late start but it was more that i didnt realize how much i could push myself until i wanted to start playing out live and didnt want to look all out of shape on stage. Personally i think it helped my playing too.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
I can only imagine how you'd handle that excuse:lol:

Eh, I wouldn't have. I've gotten really good at smiling and walking away.

I feel like i got off to a late start but it was more that i didnt realize how much i could push myself until i wanted to start playing out live and didnt want to look all out of shape on stage. Personally i think it helped my playing too.

Don't feel bad, I didn't start actually pushing myself till a couple months ago. And honestly, the first few weeks were pretty crappy. Light weights, low reps. Just getting used to actually doing stuff again.

Now? Fuck...it's on :lol:

It's a shame I didn't have my current mentality when I was in the Army. Would have made things a bit easier on me :lol:

I was graced by having amazing parents when I was younger, though, who pushed me to do my best in martial arts (age 5 till about 18). Never really cared about actual strength, though. Just how flexible I was, how fast I was, how good my stamina was. Never needed to be strong.

Still don't NEED to be any stronger than I am now, but I have no reason NOT to get stronger. I have no reason NOT to improve my cardio (at least to the point I was at my best in the Army)...again, no reason NOT to improve my overall health.

Hell, it really doesn't matter what your reason to start working out is, because as long as you give it your all, your reason to KEEP working out will be obvious.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
yea that may be the thing for me as well, motivation. What i used to think was an unattractive amount of muscle looks good to me now.

Jw. has anyone had to try to convince a girl to workout or go to the gym with you how do they usually take it? I cant think of a good way to bring it up without the girl thinking im calling her fat or out of shape or something.

This article is everything you need to know:
T NATION | 3 Steps to Getting Your Girl to Train

I'm convinced however, that women actually have to WANT to workout- it's not enough for them to just want to look good. My last girlfriend/ex-fiance' constantly said she would workout and all that bullshit, and in 6 1/2 years went with me maybe 5 times.
My current girlfriend has gone with me every day for the last two months. She wants to go. There's no asking. And we have fun. And she has better abs than me.
Both of them are skinny, but my current one has a history of being active through cheerleading and volleyball whereas the other one was always kind of lazy and I think that makes a big difference too. If they're use to being lazy or sedentary it's going to be very difficult to break them of that.

Majkel

Reaction score
314987_596967343664122_448169476_n.jpg

Might interest you guys to know that Sarah just signed on with WWE (or whatever the wrestling federation is called) as a development deal, so if things work out for her we should be seeing her in the ring in a year or so! :yesway:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ing-swedish-female-arm-wrestler-sarah-backman

Murmel

Reaction score
^
Really? Damn.

I hope she doesn't ruin her face/body with plastic surgery though. Would be a total shame.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
My gf/wife/insert title here (after 9 years....it's whatever lol) is actually who got us back into working out. We both have grown to be disgusting fat-bodies. Her motivation is that she wants to get healthy so we can create a spawn and be able to actually enjoy him/her.

In lighter news...we both have lost ~13lbs since Mar 4.

Rykov

Person.
Reaction score
Are you fat? Cool, acknowledge it. Do you not want to be fat anymore? Sweet, do some fucking burpees.

Are you super skinny? Alright, acknowledge it. Do you want to not be so frail anymore? Do some fucking burpees.

Are you generally unhappy with your appearance, but take it out on others by saying "They don't love me for who I am" while being a self-loathing yet superficial, lazy husk of a person? Piss off, and while you're at it, do some fucking burpees.

... I think 'do some fucking burpees' might just be my catch-all solution to any problem I come against from now on.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Bodybuilding.com has a 20% off deal today. Im getting a free 5lbs dynatize iso100 for free...might as well

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
I am so close to being able to bench 200 pounds! And "only" after three months of being at the gym (this Sunday will see the end of my third month of training).

I felt so stupid today for having neglected squats and deadlifts, as well as core exercises for so long. This kind of exercises is where it's at.

I have also noticed that really paying attention to what you eat makes you feel both better and stronger. Had I quitted chips, pizza, burgers and shitty food products months ago, I would have been able to achieve greater results in these 3 months. I can't wait to see how I will look like in two months...

Yes, I am obsessed with body building :D

soliloquy

Reaction score
i'm waiting on my brother in law. as soon as he replies if he wants anything or not, i'm placing an order on 4 tubs of protein, 2 tubs of bcaas and a case of multivitamins

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
... I think 'do some fucking burpees' might just be my catch-all solution to any problem I come against from now on.

I have also just recently, 30 seconds ago in fact, adopted the saying "do some fucking burpees".

Awesome.

I'm slowly trying to destroy the 'brah' mentality at the gym, and get people to actually fucking workout. I can't tell you how many fuckers I see standing around talking right next to the damn weights I need, or the machine I want. I used to be polite, but they don't learn.

Now it usually goes like this:

Me: "Hey, you gonna just that machine?"
Brah: "Yea, I'm doing circuits"
Me: "No you're not, go do some fucking burpees, I've got weight to move"

It seems to baffle them that I go to the gym to actually work out. I also was asked today why I was doing curls with 'only' 35lb dumbells. "You should be able to curl AT LEAST 60lbs man."...I let him know that I plan on doing more than 4 curls today. He didn't seem to understand.

Fucking jackasses. Was funny when one of my workout buddies showed up. He in his 60's, been a highway patrolman for decades, and when it's time to lift weights, it's time to lift some fucking weights. They got out of the way pretty quick when he told them to unass themselves from the area and go do something productive...like some fucking burpees :lol:

soliloquy

Reaction score
also, do ZMAs work?
i'm about 3/4th down the first case, and i haven't noticed any dreams. i have gotten stronger, but i'm not sure if its due to me hitting the gym harder or ZMA...i dont sleep any better either

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I find ZMA works better if you take it on an empty stomach with a glass of water but recently I've begun washing it down with one of those vitamin C tabs that dissolve in water (Vitamin C fights cortisol so in theory it should aid relaxation) I use it mon-fri and have the weekends off but I haven't noticed any weird dreams though cause it tends to put me in an incredibly deep sleep which suits me fine because I'm a very light sleeper anyway.

Sleep recovery products in my experience are kind of tricky though as I've tried quite a few of them in the past and some have worked but most have been of no help at all and even kept me awake but for some reason a bottle of cheap basic ZMA works fine for me.

soliloquy

Reaction score
maybe thats where i'm going wrong. i usually chug down a protein shake with fish oil pills, multivit, and zma all at once before i sleep...

Latest posts

')