Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not actually aiming to lift heavier, I thought you were doing like 3x10 sets or something which surprised me, I seem only hear about 5x5s from people who have been lifting for more than 3 months :lol:

5 x 5 is just a catch all really. It ensures adequate weight and adequate volume both.
Time under load/tension is actually the more important factor as far as the volume aspect, which is why a number of rep schemes seem to work provided you're going heavy enough. That's why rep style/speed is also a big part of the equation.
5 x 5 is a great place to start, but you'll want to judge for yourself whatever it requires to induce some good soreness the next day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rykov

Person.
Reaction score
Are you an ectomorph? Even if you were, you could still gain mass. You just need to eat the right things.

I forgot to mention bananas. Throw in some banana slices into the bender so that your protein shake has some potasium. It increases energy and will let you make the most of your workout.

I'm gonna guess, all things considered, that I probably am an ectomorph. I have to work out often just to be something like average in build and if I don't I end up so skinny I might as well be the definition of skinny bones :v It really gets on my nerves. Hope that changes when I hit twenty...

Have no experience with protein shakes, but if they're a big help, I'll look into them.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
Don't give yourself a hardtime for being (presumably) an ectomorph. Zyzz was one. And look what he achieved.

Sure, sure, he used steroids, but still.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score

He was doing cycles. He didn't look that anabolic, to be honest.

Not sure if I should feel reassured or even more disconcerted :v

It is indeed harder to build muscle if you are genetically determined to be skinny. But then again, I was very skinny when growing up. Now my metabolism has changed and it's relatively easy for me to build muscle.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
He was doing cycles. He didn't look that anabolic, to be honest.

Eh, they all cycle. He didn't have the "Holy shit that guy juiced his dick off" look like Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler, but he still juiced his fucking eyes off.

43abc_ORIG-zyzz4.jpg

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
Eh, they all cycle. He didn't have the "Holy shit that guy juiced his dick off" look like Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler, but he still juiced his fucking eyes off.

You really have a poor understanding of what you're talking about. That actually goes for the both of you.

Saying somebody "looks anabolic" doesn't even make sense. Your body, along with everyone elses, is always either in an anabolic or catabolic state. I'm not sure how you tell whether a 400 lb man or a 16 year old anorexic girl is anabolic simply by looking at them.

"he was doing cycles"- doesn't make sense either.

Neither of you, or anyone for that matter, knows exactly what he was on. I remember hearing about Clen for sure and maybe Tren, but clen isn't even an anabolic steroid, so that's irrelevant. I don't doubt for a second he ran a bunch of gear and I really don't care. I never gave a shit about zyzz and don't to this day. I don't understand the fanboyism over this person nor do I want to. But what I do care about is why you guys are trying to steer this thread into an excuse to talk about something neither of you are educated on.

I almost said something about the pre-workout bananas but figured I'd hold out until it was really warranted.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
You really have a poor understanding of what you're talking about. That actually goes for the both of you.

None of us ever claimed to be experts in this field.

Y
Saying somebody "looks anabolic" doesn't even make sense.

It is probably the wrong way to say that someone doesn't look natural due to the use of anabolic stereoids.

Once again: I should've chosen a better way to say that Zyzz was using stereoids sporadically, same as his brother. He himself admitted to doing that.

Neither of you, or anyone for that matter, knows exactly what he was on. I remember hearing about Clen for sure and maybe Tren, but clen isn't even an anabolic steroid, so that's irrelevant. I don't doubt for a second he ran a bunch of gear and I really don't care.

It's not relevant to knw what he was on. People were dissapointed to hear he was not 100% natural, and that's what we were talking about.

never gave a shit about zyzz and don't to this day. I don't understand the fanboyism over this person nor do I want to. But what I do care about is why you guys are trying to steer this thread into an excuse to talk about something neither of you are educated on.

None of us is trying to turn this thread into the 1000th thread on Zyzz. Or stereoids abuse, for that matter.

I almost said something about the pre-workout bananas but figured I'd hold out until it was really warranted.

You mean you are not 100% sure that eating a banana before a workout is a good thing to do?

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score

Saying somebody "looks anabolic" doesn't even make sense. Your body, along with everyone elses, is always either in an anabolic or catabolic state. I'm not sure how you tell whether a 400 lb man or a 16 year old anorexic girl is anabolic simply by looking at them.

Neither of you, or anyone for that matter, knows exactly what he was on. I remember hearing about Clen for sure and maybe Tren, but clen isn't even an anabolic steroid, so that's irrelevant. I don't doubt for a second he ran a bunch of gear and I really don't care. I never gave a shit about zyzz and don't to this day. I don't understand the fanboyism over this person nor do I want to. But what I do care about is why you guys are trying to steer this thread into an excuse to talk about something neither of you are educated on.

I made a joke, calm down.

Let me explain the joke for you: Looking anabolic, like Cutler or Coleman, means to be massively huge. Almost unnaturally big. Having muscles so large they hinder your ability to do other tasks, such as certain sports, and wiping your own ass.

Ya'know...the stereotypical physique that comes to most peoples minds when the words "steroid" or "anabolic" are used. Zyzz didn't have that look.

And no, I'm not a Zyzz fanboy. I couldn't stand that idiot.

EDIT: Me making a joke about something doesn't automatically mean I know nothing about the subject, FYI.

the hittmann

Reaction score
I made a joke, calm down.

Let me explain the joke for you: Looking anabolic, like Cutler or Coleman, means to be massively huge. Almost unnaturally big. Having muscles so large they hinder your ability to do other tasks, such as certain sports, and wiping your own ass.

Ya'know...the stereotypical physique that comes to most peoples minds when the words "steroid" or "anabolic" are used. Zyzz didn't have that look.

And no, I'm not a Zyzz fanboy. I couldn't stand that idiot.

EDIT: Me making a joke about something doesn't automatically mean I know nothing about the subject, FYI.
Anabolic by definition is the phase of metabolism in which simple substances are synthesized into the complex materials of living tissue. The joke makes no sense. You can't see the state of a persons metabolism.

I agree with uncreative, none of you have a clue on the subject, neither how widespread it is.

As far as zyzz goes it was more about his lifestyle than him personally. He got so big(fanwise) because he was on the forefront of the recent boom of want to be fitness models.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Anabolic by definition is the phase of metabolism in which simple substances are synthesized into the complex materials of living tissue. The joke makes no sense. You can't see the state of a persons metabolism.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the definition, and for letting me know how little I know about steroids and their usage.

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the definition, and for letting me know how little I know about steroids and their usage.

Are you acting like a brat because you're embarrassed about being called out for saying things you shouldn't have said and know nothing about? You really do know nothing about AS and its usage- so I don't know why you're rolling your eyes or being sarcastic when you've made it very clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

Why don't you try acting like an adult and own up to your mistake instead of whatever it is you're trying to do here. You'll save a lot more face by admitting your mistake versus digging deeper.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
^Can you take this to pm please? Steroids are a massive can of worms and it would be nice to keep this thread away from the often circular discussions IMHO. Thanks

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Are you acting like a brat because you're embarrassed about being called out for saying things you shouldn't have said and know nothing about? You really do know nothing about AS and its usage- so I don't know why you're rolling your eyes or being sarcastic when you've made it very clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

Why don't you try acting like an adult and own up to your mistake instead of whatever it is you're trying to do here. You'll save a lot more face by admitting your mistake versus digging deeper.

Drop it, quit trying to pick a fight.

You didn't like the joke, that's fine. Move on. Going out of your way to tell me that you know more than I do about steroids will prove nothing.

I made no mistake. I made a joke. Never once did I say anybody was wrong about the definition of anabolic. Quit taking shit so fucking serious. :lol:

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Sort-of progress after not training actively for a couple of months. Strenght training so I care more about deadlifting more than guns... But looking better is a plus I guess. After being skinny all my life, I don't even mind having some belly fat.
tumblr_ml5v82UnA81sn2br9o1_500.jpg

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
So this is probably the 3rd post or so that I've made complaining about my lack of progress :lol:

I was doing really well building size and strength around February last year. I'd put on about 30lb and decided to work off some fat and get some definition going. I did a very controlled slow cut until I had the definition I wanted...unfortunately that lasted all summer and left me small as fuck :lol: Since then in my final year of my audio degree I haven't managed to put on any weight or strength at all. I work 3 nights a week (Fri,Sat,Sun) - coupled with my gym opening times that means I can't train weekends. My aim has been to train Tue Wed Thur or Mon Wed Thur. Some weeks I manage that along with getting the food I want, then I'll end up barely eating for a month and only hitting the gym once a week..I can't count the amount of times I've said "Right, this week - it starts" this year, only to crash a week or two later.
Just trying to balance out coursework, studio sessions etc - running round during the day buying fast food trying to reach my calories but still getting nowhere near. Hell - between February and April I didn't eat an actual meal at home once :lol: Hell, I find myself getting out of bed straight into my chair and realising 6 hours later I haven't eaten, drunk, or showered. I barely get hungry anymore and when I do I don't notice it.

Oh well...I finish uni soon. Going to be hitting the gym hard 4 or 5 days a week from 1st June and hopefully I'll be back to where I was and reach 100kg bench before the end of the year.

Latest posts

')