Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Hey guys, can I get some recommendations for Protein, I've been using this;

ACE Whey Protein Isolate | MyoPure

But the taste is rather bland and kind of off putting, which doesn't bother me cause I just add it to smoothies/shakes, but my largest issue is the solubility, the shakers won't do it, needs to be blended. I've tried mixing it with water when I didn't want extra fats and it will pretty much turn to clumps instantly, no chance of mixing it in with water.

So I want something with a high protein per serve, easy to mix in and possibly flavourless, or something mild (vanilla?). Probably no more than $40-50 a kg.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, can I get some recommendations for Protein, I've been using this;

ACE Whey Protein Isolate | MyoPure

But the taste is rather bland and kind of off putting, which doesn't bother me cause I just add it to smoothies/shakes, but my largest issue is the solubility, the shakers won't do it, needs to be blended. I've tried mixing it with water when I didn't want extra fats and it will pretty much turn to clumps instantly, no chance of mixing it in with water.

So I want something with a high protein per serve, easy to mix in and possibly flavourless, or something mild (vanilla?). Probably no more than $40-50 a kg.

Wal-Mart carries the Body Fortress whey-isolate, not sure if it's available downunder at the same deal though, but it mixes well IME.

Natures Best Isopure is a very well mixing and tasting blend that shakes right up quickly, but again not sure if it's reasonable in Australia.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Maybe there's a reason I'm not seeing, but why buy BCAAs separately?

You can get whey isolate for about $1.25 per 60g serving, but you not only get about 10g of BCAAs out of it, you also get another 50g of whey isolate on top of the BCAAs for your $1.25.

Looks like BCAAs alone for a 10g serving is pushing $1 per serving.

Even for someone cutting weight, pure whey-isolate powder has only a gram or two of added carbs and/or fat.

edit; well my math was a little off, looks closer to like $1.50 vs $.75 per serving, but still, if you're using whey-isolate I wouldn't think there would be a need for a BCAA sup., especially if you eat many other quality protein sources like eggs, dairy, meat ect..

well i supplement more because i have a bad reaction to milk proteins of any variety.
and since my only options are vegetarian and/or meat isolate powders (which are expensive) i add in more BCAAs for convenience and cost efficiency.

other people use it for pump support hahaha

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
You guys are so sweet. :wub:

Also, I think I might take some powerlifting pointers and add them to my routine. My current plan calls for one day of legs, but I really want to add another day of squatting to day 4. Day 4 is shoulders, and I only do two supersets and I'm done. Plus I really want to make my legs swell up. Too many guys avoid getting big legs just to focus on arms, which is okay. But I want to be fucking massive as a whole. Looking into the 20 Rep Squat program, which calls for one set of 20 squats (obviously) 3 times a week for 6 weeks. It's apparently a pretty classic routine and guys have weighed in (no pun intended) saying they've gained 10+ pounds in 6 weeks on it. That plan also includes GOMAD (gallon of milk a day), which is where 99% of those gains are probably coming from, and I'm not that rich to go spend $60 on a two week supply of milk on top of my other groceries. :lol: But I do want to try it and finally get some size to my legs.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
You guys are so sweet. :wub:

Also, I think I might take some powerlifting pointers and add them to my routine. My current plan calls for one day of legs, but I really want to add another day of squatting to day 4. Day 4 is shoulders, and I only do two supersets and I'm done. Plus I really want to make my legs swell up. Too many guys avoid getting big legs just to focus on arms, which is okay. But I want to be fucking massive as a whole. Looking into the 20 Rep Squat program, which calls for one set of 20 squats (obviously) 3 times a week for 6 weeks. It's apparently a pretty classic routine and guys have weighed in (no pun intended) saying they've gained 10+ pounds in 6 weeks on it. That plan also includes GOMAD (gallon of milk a day), which is where 99% of those gains are probably coming from, and I'm not that rich to go spend $60 on a two week supply of milk on top of my other groceries. :lol: But I do want to try it and finally get some size to my legs.

I really want to blast my squats into infinity at the moment as my deads are going up pretty well but I'm struggling to make sure my legs are trim enough to fit into the suit I'm going to wear for my prom (curse you dad for taking me to get one in January instead of June) and I'm really having trouble shifting weight

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I did 5x5s at 250 lbs. today, and I still don't feel like that was everything I had. I want to work up to 300 within the next 2-3 months.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Finished up my "1RM" week with deadlifts today. My 1RM's for the week;

Bench - 350
Squat - 440
Overhead press - 215
Deadlift - 480

Pretty stoked at my progress over the past few months. I'm seriously considering competing again if I can hit 500 on squat and get near 600 on deadlift within the next year (by next Spring). I'll still likely get my ass handed to me though. :lol: I'd be competing in the 242's, I think I'm too heavy now to drop back into the 220's (my "walking around" weight is between 230-235).

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Stopped barbell benching about a month ago and started doing weighted pushups (both with resistance bands and plates) and I feel noticeably stronger than I did before. Anyone else done this or am I crazy?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
With pushups we follow a curved track that runs opposite of bench.
On bench the bar will travel from lower-mid chest at the bottom to right over the mid-upper chest at the top.
Doing pushups is like a flat angle bench at the bottom and a decline bench at the top, thereby transferring the focus from mid-chest to lower-chest/lats more.

The change itself, and the fact that pushups are often performed more explosively might have something to do with the noticed strength gains.
Plus the resistance-bands, which increase resistance throughout the concentric range could also add some new change. (just like chains do for free-weights)

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Well I feel like it's more of a functional exercise than when I bench, but maybe that's just personal preference.

TrashJuice

Reaction score
You might be unconsciously addressing a weakness in your pressing by doing the weighted/banded push-ups. I doubt that permanently substituting those for bench would be a long-term solution but bringing up a weak point while retaining most or all of your previous benching strength will definitely make you stronger.

Are you familiar with conjugate or "Westside" training? I think that is a big part of that philosophy. You don't always train the actual press, squat, or deadlift, sometimes you train another similar lift (front squats instead of squats, good mornings instead of deadlifts, etc) to address a weakness in the main lift. Then when you go back to the main lift, surprise, you are stronger.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Actually ended up switching out for leg day today. And in doing so, I hit two PRs on squat and leg press. 260 lbs and 400 lbs, respectfully. Both for 5x5. I felt like an animal. I still have yet to do any 1RM stuff, which I guess I should do. I'll probably try my 1RM on bench, squat, and leg press by the end of this week.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
So I did something incredibly stupid yesterday. After finishing a set, I sat up from the bench too quickly/aggressively. I smashed the shit out of the top of my head. The knurling caught a hold of my scalp and tore a decent sized chunk of skin/hair (it was actually stuck to the bar when I looked back at it :lol:). Now I have a pretty gnarly gash on top of my head. It didn't actually hurt until I started pouring alcohol on it to clean the wound. That was some of the worst stinging pain ever. I'm just glad it clotted and is closing on it's own. Did not want to have to get stitches.

To add something constructive, one of my favorites Dan Green, smashing world records in the 220 lb class.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
thinking of working with a personal trainer at my gym to help with my shoulder growth.. i have a huge deficiency in that area and i want some one-on-one training in that regard

Latest posts

')