Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
^

What lifts are you currently doing for your shoulders?

standing barbell press, one handed standing dumbbell press, front and side lat raises, and then cable scarecrows.

i realized i have a bad muscle imbalances (largely due to some injuries i've had) so im going to switch the barbell to a seated dumbbell press... idk i just dont make strength gains with my shoulders and stay frozen at my current weights. it just kinda blows.

its also started to seriously affect my bench ability because my stabilizers in my shoulders are weaker

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Well, I was going to suggest standing overhead press, since that's an exercise very few people do these days. But you're already doing them. :lol:

Are you doing mobility/stretching work for your shoulders? I was having a really tough time making any strength increases on my overhead press (and getting a lot of pain) until I started using lacrosse balls everyday to loosen up my scapula and rear delts.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
300 mother fudging pounds for 3 mother fudging reps on the squat rack today! This was a goal of mine from the get-go. So incredibly stoked. Now to shoot for 400. :flex:

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Well, I was going to suggest standing overhead press, since that's an exercise very few people do these days. But you're already doing them. :lol:

Are you doing mobility/stretching work for your shoulders? I was having a really tough time making any strength increases on my overhead press (and getting a lot of pain) until I started using lacrosse balls everyday to loosen up my scapula and rear delts.

i'll definitely look into that. but i tried some seated overhead dumbbell-presses today and i think im going to turn those into my heavy shoulder exercise just to develop the strength, and then do a higher rep standing barbell press so i continue to develop my core stabilizers and posture while getting the extra volume work in.

300 mother fudging pounds for 3 mother fudging reps on the squat rack today! This was a goal of mine from the get-go. So incredibly stoked. Now to shoot for 400. :flex:

i remember when i hit 300. it felt good. now you're setting yourself up for the fun part of the journey

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
thinking of working with a personal trainer at my gym to help with my shoulder growth.. i have a huge deficiency in that area and i want some one-on-one training in that regard

My suggestions for adding roundness to the shoulders;

Chase bench-press with standing barbell overheads. (behind the head but don't go below ear-level, actually just tip the head forward and take the bar to where the ears were before you tipped head)
Use your 6-8 rep weight and then with no rest drop 20LBS and go to failure followed by another 20LB drop to failure, done.
OR
Chase bench with pushups to failure times 2. (as a dropset with 0 rest)

Then include much rowing and dumbbell bent-laterals on back/pull day.
When it comes to more straight up side laterals I much prefer one arm/shoulder at a time with the opposite leg forward and the working side's leg back.
Takes some playing around to find a good body-bracing stance so that you can concentrate on the shoulder.

Personally, I've never meshed well with having a separate chest day and a separate shoulder day within the same week.
I could do it on a 10-day split, but for me there's too much overlap on a 7-day program to have separate days for all the major groups.
Maybe with some TRT/PEDs it would work better for me :lol:, but so far I haven't had the luxury.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Put up 300 6 times today. (2x3) Here's a video.
Instagram

I'm not as low as I want to be, but no more adding weight until I can at least break parallel.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Cool! I would drop to 250 or even 200 to work on it. Stand a touch wider with your feet turned out a little more and really focus on keeping the knees locked out, creating a burn deep into your groin and activating your hamstrings and hips the lower you go. You will find you are using your entire lower body for this, whereas now I expect you feel mainly just your quads. Goblet squats or even bodyweight are good to try this as you can use your elbows to help push the knees out. The hip machines will be helpful to build up strength too. Try to keep the weight on the 'outsides' of your feet.

Hit my 400kg milestone in my second meet a couple of weeks ago (up from 375kg) at 76kg bodyweight. 150kg squat, 85kg bench and 165kg deadlift. Could have got a 95kg bench but failed my 3rd attempt pushing for 97.5kg.

My trainer has me starting an experimental program he wrote, next week. It is an 8 week program designed to lead up to a meet. Main lifts include both heavy and light days, with heavies progressing from 4x5 to 1x1 over the 8 weeks and lights progressing from 4x6 to 4x10 with the weight decreasing. Heavy lifts start at 85% of the current 1RM and progress to a 104% at week 7, aiming for a 107-111% lift on week 8 of the meet. I created a spreadsheet and plugged my 1RMs in and the numbers it's showing me look pretty challenging - really looking forward to it. I can tell this is going to be the best 8 weeks I've ever trained and I hope to make the 440kg and slip into the 74kg category. In 13 weeks I'll be competing my first regional event as Junior 74kgs. This is fun and I wish I had started sooner!!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to drop to about 225 and try to start doing ATG squats. I caught a lot of shit for using the smith machine. :lol: That's unfortunately all I have until my current membership runs out.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Solid stuff, but ATG is the way to go man, have always squatted this way and would never dream of doing otherwise

geese_com

Reaction score
Once my shoulder heals up, I'm gonna have to hit the gym again. Not many things better than getting a good lifting session in.

texshred777

Reaction score
Great day in the gym the other day. Really destroyed squat and Deadlift, left feeling beastly.

Also had weird random encounter. Some dude comes up and starts complimenting me on doing full ass to ground squats. Now, I appreciate that there's someone else in the gym who sees value in going below parallel...but let me finish my set before you talk to me.

Fat down 70lbs, muscle up 10lbs. Just 20 more pounds to go for 10% Bf. Probably won't cut any further..have been in a deficit(excluding occasional refeed days) for months.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I think I posted about a month ago that I'm back in the gym, but I use to go for around 6 months, and I was pretty much just doing everything 3*12 and had no set days, and generally was making slow progress.

In the past month since I started back at the gym I've been alting between Tri + Chest, Biceps + Back & Legs + shoulders + Abs, and doing 3*8 reps, but higher weights and I've been making some pretty quick progress. Feeling really good about progress and my diet so far, except I generally don't eat weekends (Which is purely due to poor planning, as I do between 16 to 18 hour days at work), and need to cut back on alcohol, I've been going Low-carb beers, but it still doesn't help that I'd be drinking close to 30-40 beers a week.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Alcohol will kill your gains, and develop the infamous beer belly. That should be the number 1 thing you cut out. And eating on the weekends is necessary. Tuperware is your friend. I can eat rice and chicken cold, so that's something you could do. Unless you've got a microwave at work, which helps. Eat that twice a day, some oatmeal, eggs, and a metric shitload of PEANUT BUTTER! I know cutting is the war against calories and carbs, but those are essential in muscle function and energy. So maintain a steady number of calories, but make sure you're eating solid calories that are accompanied with high protein, and adequate carbs and fat.

EDIT: Also, I think I've decided that I'm going to start working towards competitive powerlifting. I've become fascinated with putting up heavy weight, so I think I'm going to get on the 5/3/1 training program by Jim Wendler. It also helps that Ohio is basically the powerlifting mecca, so I'm going to find a gym close and start putting up some heavy weight.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
idk... as much as i like the simplicity of "bro dieting" i.e. macro nutrients.. im also not dead and i love flavor and culture.

my little brother is a chef and he's been teaching me ways to eat clean without sacrificing flavor for bland tasting food. when watching food intake i think its worth investing some time in learning how to make food flavorful without adding junk. its easier to stick to a food plan when you actually enjoy the food you're eating

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I've decided that I've been too strict with my eating anyways. At least for my own goal of adding mass for power. Salad and brown rice and chicken every day is a little too bland. I need some spaghetti and meatballs, or a double cheeseburger from time to time. Ectomorph problems.

EDIT: If you ever want to enhance your brown rice and chicken, here's what I do.

3 white meat chicken breasts
1 small can of pineapple tidbits
1/2 cup of soy sauce (low sodium to curb the cholesterol, if you choose)

Put it in a crock pot for 4 hours on high, or 8 hours on low. Get a steamable bag of broccoli florets, and some brown minute rice. Throw those in the microwave, shred the chicken, throw it all together. It's pretty god damn delicious.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Yeah I'm a chef as well, so it's not actually cooking food that's the issue, just on weekends I literally work 8.30am to 11pm and we pretty much prep all the way through service whilst cooking and It's hard enough to get in some time to eat a proper meal, I generally just snack on veg/fruit.

And I'm aware of the alcohol ruining things haha, it's coming into winter so everyone starts to reserve back into there studies and parties/events don't seem to happen every second day.

')